Sabres RFA QO list; McBain, Knapp, Conacher, MacKenzie, Crawford not qualified

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Glad McBain's gone. Nothing against the guy, but his fairly effective offense is just not worth the mistakes.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
There was no mention to the status of Nick Crawford, Shawn Szydlowski and Matt MacKenzie.

:(

:D

He seemed to only be referring to players who saw action in Buffalo last year. I see no reason why they wouldn't qualify Crawford and MacKenzie. Both can be solid depth guys in Rochester.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
He seemed to only be referring to players who saw action in Buffalo last year. I see no reason why they wouldn't qualify Crawford and MacKenzie. Both can be solid depth guys in Rochester.
Crawford just passed the threshold for being an exempt vet next season. He's very middle of the road. Mackenzie too. Would like to see them go in a different direction.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@SabresProspects: No shock seeing Hackett qualified. Challenged by Lieuwen in Roch but looked better in NHL duty. Old school style, i.e. non-robot.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I guess we probably won't need McBain's help to lose a lot of games next year.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
@SabresProspects: No shock seeing Hackett qualified. Challenged by Lieuwen in Roch but looked better in NHL duty. Old school style, i.e. non-robot.

His play in the NHL was his saving grace. He also played well in the NHL for Minnesota. It's nothing the sport hasn't seen before, and is in fact quite common. He's still passed by several guys on my list, but I still have him above Lieuwen as an NHL prospect, and I'm glad we didn't let him go for nothing.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
**** McBain. Please get a third pairing that can take a defensive zone start for once.

Yes! For years we'd been trying to work in guys like Brennan and Gragnani. Then we replace them with McBain. Ugh. I get the concept of a third pairing PP QB but one needs to be a bit more passable defensively, or be on a better team. It doesn't help that the other guy on the third pair usually sucks as well, though.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Erm, it feels like I've missed a memo or something regarding McBain. Why is there so much hate for him?

Statistically he's been one of the leading defensemen on this team. He's really bad on the PK, but he's got a better GAA at ES than Myers, Tallinder or Ehrhoff. Or Ristolainen. Or Weber. Or Ruchwedel.

And he's capable of contributing offensively.

So, really, McBain looked like a decent 2nd/3rd pairing option during the rebuild.

I mean, he's solid as a rock when compared to, say, Weber.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Erm, it feels like I've missed a memo or something regarding McBain. Why is there so much hate for him?

Statistically he's been one of the leading defensemen on this team. He's really bad on the PK, but he's got a better GAA at ES than Myers, Tallinder or Ehrhoff. Or Ristolainen. Or Weber. Or Ruchwedel.

So, really, McBain looked like a decent 2nd/3rd pairing option during the rebuild.

Ahead of only Weber and Sulzer (and Scott and McCabe) at Corsi Relative. Lower Corsi Relative QoC than anyone except McNabb and Scott. Higher PDO than any defenseman other than McNabb.

Sure his on-ice GAA at even strength is good, but I don't think he's got some special skill that gives goalies a .938 save percentage when he's on the ice, a Vezina-level ES Sv%.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

The goalies probably lost all trust in him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ahead of only Weber and Sulzer (and Scott and McCabe) at Corsi Relative. Lower Corsi Relative QoC than anyone except McNabb and Scott. Higher PDO than any defenseman other than McNabb.

Sure his on-ice GAA at even strength is good, but I don't think he's got some special skill that gives goalies a .938 save percentage when he's on the ice, a Vezina-level ES Sv%.

Pretty much. He was shielded regularly and with good reason -- he's a turd in his own zone and drags his partners down with him.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder why they are still up in the air on Conacher.

Maybe because they're debating whether a two-way contract that allows him to go to Rochester for depth....? IIRC, he was on a one-way contract last season - so Murray may not want to commit to a roster spot for Conacher in Buffalo but wants the option of Conacher maybe regaining his touch?

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

I was a little surprised at Hackett being qualified - aside from him not being of the size Murray said he likes in goalies, it seems that Lieuwen and Markov have spots slotted in Rochester and Neuvirth and Enroth more or less are locks in Buffalo.

So where does Hackett slot in other than depth in case of injuries?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I was a little surprised at Hackett being qualified - aside from him not being of the size Murray said he likes in goalies, it seems that Lieuwen and Markov have spots slotted in Rochester and Neuvirth and Enroth more or less are locks in Buffalo.

So where does Hackett slot in other than depth in case of injuries?

How long is the recovery from his knee injury, maybe rehab puts him in Elmira.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad