Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Linus Ullmark 1 year $2.6 million

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Im reasonably sure we have to add a goalie for expansion draft reasons now. Neither Hutton or ullmark will have to be protected. Johanssen can be protected but then we wouldn’t have to to expose for the draft. I guess we could just grab one before the draft to protect/expose.

This was my first thought too - but it's also possible they extend Ullmark before the expansion draft, protect him & expose JJ.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
$6.5M with $1.5M in carryover overages from 2019-20. They can probably add Olofsson and an ELC. If they made a cap smart move (Montour for Cole with retention, as an example), than re-signing Kahun becomes an option.

Edit:

Olofsson at $3M
Cole with $1.25M retention
Kahun at $2M

$1.5M left for overages.

I thought COVID saved us from overages?

Sabrehack

Aug 30, 2018
Like the signing but I still see us having to move Montour or Miller to be cap compliant or at least to the point where were not pushing anything into next season. $6.5 in cap space remaining, which I believe takes into account the carry overages on bonuses, but not the potential $3.5 for this coming year, which I don't think they want to push into next year with Dahlin, Reinhart and potentially Hall contracts to sign.

That makes it closer to $3M but you still need to account for Cozens and Borgen which is another $1.75M and likely one additional player to get to 23.
Unfortunately Okposo does not look like a buyout candidate until the final year of his contract so it seems like getting Seattle to bite might be our only hope. The Skinner contract looks so bad right now.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I love all the 1 year deals. Sam, Ullmark, Montour, Hall etc. Figure out exactly where we go after this season. Make the playoffs with a team led by Jack and Hall putting up 90+ points each and Jeff and VO 35-40+ goals each while Sam has 50-55 points, Montour plays just OK and Ullmark is only serviceable? Great, move Sam to acquire the high end goalie we need, let Montour and Ullmark walk and use that cap to keep Hall here. I think the early 10s showed us all those teams handing out 12 year deals or tons of 7-8 year deals after the last lockout to anyone who isn't a true superstar is a bad decision. Not every good player deserves max term unless they are a legit high impact player (scoring 35-40 goals a season, regularly putting up a ppg+, always being a top 5 goalie year in year out or being a minute eating 40+ point dman)

Like the signing but I still see us having to move Montour or Miller to be cap compliant or at least to the point where were not pushing anything into next season. $6.5 in cap space remaining, which I believe takes into account the carry overages on bonuses, but not the potential $3.5 for this coming year, which I don't think they want to push into next year with Dahlin, Reinhart and potentially Hall contracts to sign.

That makes it closer to $3M but you still need to account for Cozens and Borgen which is another $1.75M and likely one additional player to get to 23.
Unfortunately Okposo does not look like a buyout candidate until the final year of his contract so it seems like getting Seattle to bite might be our only hope. The Skinner contract looks so bad right now.

The Skinner contract looks "bad" because of a fluke, once in a lifetime never happen again horrendous puck luck 3 goal in 31 game stretch. Was anyone complaining the first 28 games last season when Skinner had 11 goals playing away from Jack and playing with MarJo as his f***ing center and had a 30+ goal pace over 1/3 thru the season? No?

My god its like Skinner never had an off season before bouncing back scoring 30+ goals. Its like he isn't STILL an elite 5v5 goal scorer, hell elite goal scorer period. Its like he isn't only 28 and an elite skater. Its like he doesn't still have TEN MORE GOALS in TEN LESS GAMES then Sam does the last 2 years combined.

No one foresaw Covid and a flat cap at all. I am getting so sick of the entire forum bagging on the damn Skinner deal. Owners/GMs were expecting a cap to be reaching the early-mid 90s over the next few seasons. Something is going to be done to alleviate the financial bullshit this covid caused.

You want to know whats really bad? Is the 24 million in cap the last 4 years we have spent to get 57 goals over those 4 years. Okposo 57 goals over FOUR seasons. Skinner 54 goals over TWO seasons. Okposo is the only bad contract because we have to pay a 4th liner 6 mil per. 9 mil per for a 30-35 goal scorer is not a bad contract.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well, having both of their NHL goalies hitting UFA next off season is interesting.

Although, it will be another crazy goalie off season. Add in the Seattle expansion draft and it may be even more interesting than this goalie off season was.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Was anyone complaining the first 28 games last season when Skinner had 11 goals

Yes, he was paid $72 M over eight years. No one else could sign him for more than 7, that's $10.3 AAV. Almost impossible to believe he could gotten more than $8.5 M AAV from anyone else, or $59.5 M. Realistically, the top end based on eight-year length was $7.5 M. How the Sabres got to $9 M is anybody's guess. They bid against themselves. Skinner really wouldn't just go anywhere, he proved that in offseason when he would only approve a deal to Buffalo. Management was incompetent on this. Face it.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I love all the 1 year deals. Sam, Ullmark, Montour, Hall etc. Figure out exactly where we go after this season. Make the playoffs with a team led by Jack and Hall putting up 90+ points each and Jeff and VO 35-40+ goals each while Sam has 50-55 points, Montour plays just OK and Ullmark is only serviceable? Great, move Sam to acquire the high end goalie we need, let Montour and Ullmark walk and use that cap to keep Hall here. I think the early 10s showed us all those teams handing out 12 year deals or tons of 7-8 year deals after the last lockout to anyone who isn't a true superstar is a bad decision. Not every good player deserves max term unless they are a legit high impact player (scoring 35-40 goals a season, regularly putting up a ppg+, always being a top 5 goalie year in year out or being a minute eating 40+ point dman)

The Skinner contract looks "bad" because of a fluke, once in a lifetime never happen again horrendous puck luck 3 goal in 31 game stretch. Was anyone complaining the first 28 games last season when Skinner had 11 goals playing away from Jack and playing with MarJo as his f***ing center and had a 30+ goal pace over 1/3 thru the season? No?

My god its like Skinner never had an off season before bouncing back scoring 30+ goals. Its like he isn't STILL an elite 5v5 goal scorer, hell elite goal scorer period. Its like he isn't only 28 and an elite skater. Its like he doesn't still have TEN MORE GOALS in TEN LESS GAMES then Sam does the last 2 years combined.

No one foresaw Covid and a flat cap at all. I am getting so sick of the entire forum bagging on the damn Skinner deal. Owners/GMs were expecting a cap to be reaching the early-mid 90s over the next few seasons. Something is going to be done to alleviate the financial bullshit this covid caused.

You want to know whats really bad? Is the 24 million in cap the last 4 years we have spent to get 57 goals over those 4 years. Okposo 57 goals over FOUR seasons. Skinner 54 goals over TWO seasons. Okposo is the only bad contract because we have to pay a 4th liner 6 mil per. 9 mil per for a 30-35 goal scorer is not a bad contract.
It's not even a total flop now. The worry is WHEN it turns into an Okposo.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

@dotcommunism

is this accurate?

Maybe

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.
* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.
* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:
* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.
* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

The "first and second year NHL players" definition might get interesting with JJ, depending on how they define it.

EDIT:

That's defined in the Capfriendly link.

First & Second Year Pros
All players who have accrued two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2020-21 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft.

A goalie must be on an NHL roster for at least 30 games to accrue 1 year of service. By that definition, JJ will still be a 1st year pro and thus exempt.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Maybe

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

The "first and second year NHL players" definition might get interesting with JJ, depending on how they define it.

EDIT:

That's defined in the Capfriendly link.

A goalie must be on an NHL roster for at least 30 games to accrue 1 year of service. By that definition, JJ will still be a 1st year pro and thus exempt.
Professional seasons and accrued seasons are two different things. Accrued seasons only really ever come up with UFA eligibility (and even then only with players who make it into the league as teenagers). Professional seasons pretty much just require a player to play somewhere while signed to an NHL contract (with the exception of teenagers who have to play a minimum number of NHL games).
Johansson should satisfy the expansion draft requirements.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Professional seasons and accrued seasons are two different things. Accrued seasons only really ever come up with UFA eligibility (and even then only with players who make it into the league as teenagers). Professional seasons pretty much just require a player to play somewhere while signed to an NHL contract (with the exception of teenagers who have to play a minimum number of NHL games).
Johansson should satisfy the expansion draft requirements.

I'm well aware of the distinction. There are clearly differing statements here though.

The NHL website cites "first or second year players". Capfriendly cites "accrued two or less professional seasons".

I would agree that "first or second year player" most likely means "first or second year of their ELC" , but Capfriendly is generally pretty on top of their verbiage too, so without seeing the controlling document, there is grey area for me.

EDIT :

Closest reference I have been able to find is this, for the 2017 expansion draft.

NHL teams receiving information on potential expansion draft - Sportsnet.ca

Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

So yes, you all are correct that JJ then qualifies, and Capfriendly is just worded poorly.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
VO going to arbitration opens up a buyout opportunity as well. Double we use it on KO but it would be available I believe.

IIRC you don't actually have to go to arbitration to create the window, just have someone file for it (it opens when they sign the last outstanding player who filed for it).

Reactions: Team Cozens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad