Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Linus Ullmark 1 year $2.6 million

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
IIRC you don't actually have to go to arbitration to create the window, just have someone file for it (it opens when they sign the last outstanding player who filed for it).

Arbitration may create a 2nd window for Ordinary Course Buyouts, but only if the arbitration case completes. A filed arbitration that is withdrawn because they reached a deal does not appear to create a buyout window.

Window 1 : ( Dates for a normal year )

(i) beginning the later of June 15 or forty-eight (48) hours after the
conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals and ending at 5:00 p.m. New York time on June 30;

Window 2 :

(ii) For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings
pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day
following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement
of its last case (provided such award was received or such settlement occurred prior to 7:00 p.m.
New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received at or after 7:00 p.m. New
York time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes
of this provision).

A team may buyout a contract outside of these windows, but only 3 times throughout the duration of the CBA. Also, there is an arbitration related wrinkle there.

However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period. Moreover, a Club shall not be entitled to exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period for: (i) any Player who was not on the Club's Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline, or (ii) any Player with an Averaged Amount less than $2,750,000. The dollar amount of $2,750,000 set forth in this Section 11.18 shall be increased on an annual basis at the same percentage rate of annual increase as the Average League Salary, with the first such increase occurring based upon a comparison of the 2014/15 Average League Salary to the 2013/14 Average League Salary

12.3a is :

(a) Club-Elected Salary Arbitration For Players With Paragraph 1 NHL Salaries plus Signing, Roster, and Reporting Bonuses Greater Than $1,750,000 In The Prior League Year.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Very reasonable considering I think he'd get closer to 3 mil+ in UFA during a normal year.
I like it a lot. I know people get impatient with development of players but he's only 27. Goalies peak in their late 20's he's poised for a breakout year. I truly believe that at some point during his late twenties he'll be a star. Once he gets that mental poise and confidence I see him as potential to be top 10 goalie in the league tbh. There's been some stretches when the dude was unstoppable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad