Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Kale Clague (1yr, $775k, two-way)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
That’s a lot of AHL money.

475k AHL contract is nothing to sneeze at.
AHL money certainly has trended up this year. A few teams last year payed AHL guys 1-way contracts (for example Pitt and Tokarsi, Calgary with Gilbert), but it seemed like generally (without doing the math) high salaries were in the $375k range. A few in the 4's. A lot more this year across the league.

Amerks this year have:
Clague $475k
Davies $450k
Cooley $400k
Tokarsi $450k
and Bryson...... never mind

It will be interesting what they do with Murray and Weissbach, although I can't imagine they will be in the 4's.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If they’re going to use Rochester as their go to development place with the number of kids they’re developing at once, and earlier than most kids make the AHL in many cases…they have to put the best veterans they can around them. The number of guys they’ve drafted who will be coming through at a young age is crazy. Insulating them is a big key.

Though the rookie D they’re bringing in this year actually have a lot of experience whether it be as college grads or Novikov getting a ton of KHL games.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
AHL money certainly has trended up this year. A few teams last year payed AHL guys 1-way contracts (for example Pitt and Tokarsi, Calgary with Gilbert), but it seemed like generally (without doing the math) high salaries were in the $375k range. A few in the 4's. A lot more this year across the league.

Amerks this year have:
Clague $475k
Davies $450k
Cooley $400k
Tokarsi $450k
and Bryson......
never mind

It will be interesting what they do with Murray and Weissbach, although I can't imagine they will be in the 4's.
Pegula's sell the Amerks ?

I was told they were cheap and wouldn't pay for a good roster in Buffalo, can't imagine them over paying Rochester guys

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Let’s make an awful assumption. Every d man is healthy to start the year. Who’s your buf 6 + scratches, and your Roch 6 + scratches?

Sammy Dahlin
Power Clifton
Joker EJohnson
Stillman Boosh

RJohnson Prow
Davies Cecconi
Novikov Metsa
Bryson Jandric
Savoie

Is where I’m at today, and I already dk where Bryson fits
Bryson hardly cracking an AHL roster is funny (and not wrong, lol)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Is Adams having a Darcy Regier-style defensemen panic?

You know we won't have injuries on D this year. We won't have enough forward depth though.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Amerks this year have:
Clague $475k
Davies $450k
Cooley $400k
Tokarsi $450k

But the Pegulas are cheap!!!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
475k AHL contract is nothing to sneeze at.

I could live on that. Happily. :D

Is Adams having a Darcy Regier-style defensemen panic?

You know we won't have injuries on D this year. We won't have enough forward depth though.

They still have a lot of forwards too. Even if they move on from Olofsson they're pretty solidly stocked and who knows if they get some of the guys they liked in the AHL back on AHL deals to keep their depth working.

Current D depth

Sabres (9)

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Clifton
Boosh - E. Johnson
Stillman - Jokiharju
Bryson

Rochester (8)

R. Johnson - Prow
Clague - Cecconi
Novikov - Davies
Jandric - Metsa

Somebody's gotta go

Bryson at his cap figure and lack of offense is easy to see passing through waivers or maybe getting claimed (though at $1.85M, that's too rich in a flat cap era for most teams to take). Then Jandric, Savoie are JAX assignees, maybe even Metsa just to get him on the ice but I think he's one of the best RHD on the Amerks right now. The Amerks regularly carried more defense and played 11/7 a lot so it wouldn't be surprising if they keep 9 around.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Current D depth

Sabres (9)

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Clifton
Boosh - E. Johnson
Stillman - Jokiharju
Bryson

Rochester (8)

R. Johnson - Prow
Clague - Cecconi
Novikov - Davies
Jandric - Metsa

Somebody's gotta go
you may find , they believe in a year or two , maybe this year.. Donny and crew believe that when jokiharu just plays and doesn't hesitate.. just rushes and carries in..just hits, just angles and stops a Rush.. jokiharu can do anything dahlin can do and is a slower maturing, damaged top 4 D in the NHL..
I think Johnson and Clifton are hear to fix jokiharu and actually see his consistency in game by freeing him up and getting teams to think twice trying to forecheck and freak him and power.out w blitzing pressure . At least have a serious consequence to teams cheating inside offensive zone expecting a turnover by physically punishing and burning them w two D taking ( successfully) on three forwards creating quick breakouts. Without pulling a center to near our net ( all the time especially w leads) and winning D battles and punishing even if we lose these battles, our Sv %and and time running around in our end will improve without forcing Samuelson to a be a hero.

If jokiharu is not up to it and or we have more than one D injured .Boosh, Stillman , maybe Bryson , Johnson kid will have a real sheltered shot to succeed w favorable matchups compared to last year.. We may be surprised how capable all ten are if not claimed on waivers .

Unless he gets a pesce that no team can afford on a sweet deal.. Nothing will get sorted til.after second pre season game.

expect 9th D to be roc kid to give those on Amerks to have hope , especially college guys that best will get ice time and a Chance..

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Amerks this year have:
Clague $475k
Davies $450k
Cooley $400k
Tokarsi $450k

That can't be right. The Pegulas are cheap.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

yasky

Nov 29, 2021
Jessica must be splitting her Tennis wings with her parents.

Clague works as the what, #2-3 callup from Rochester? Say this about the team, they're loyal (to a fault)!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Clague works as the what, #2-3 callup from Rochester? Say this about the team, they're loyal (to a fault)!

Probably in contention at first vet defense recall. At best, I would expect him as their #8.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005

I'd guess Clague's agent shopped him around over the past few days and couldn't get a better deal than what the Sabres were offering

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad