Sabres (Pegulas) Elect to Have No Fans at Some Games

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres to host fans for four more games, accept vaccinations in lieu of testing

"The Sabres are not selling tickets for three of their four home games next week against Philadelphia and the New York Rangers. Only the April 3 game will be ticketed."

I wouldn't want to go but what does it say about this franchise and ownership that they have decided to have ZERO fans at games? It appears to be their decision not a health one.

The Buffalo News story misses the point here. We now have a team where ownership has given up to the point that for home games it is not going to have the limited number of fans in the building it can actually have -- it appears for weekday games.

It's likely for cost reasons (and the debacle of charging double for cancelled Bruins game didn't help) but this is a message of ownership giving up on the team. The Rangers are not doing this. The horrible Devils appears to be selling games on weekdays. Islanders. Pittsburgh. Is any other NHL refusing to sell tickets. (Canadian teams can't by law in most markets.)

This seems incredible, if true. This franchise is on life support.

Reactions: sabremike

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I think it’s cuz no one is buying tickets to watch this dumpster fire lol

Others have speculated it's because Pegula and his ego can't handle the booing that would come from fans in the building.

But they *are* opening up the building for some games, so I don't know about that one.

I would imagine it is not cost effective to have 1900 fans at a game, so they are limiting it to a handful of games...b/c they are aware of how horrible it would look if they didn't allow any at all.

I say a little prayer every night that Pegula sells the team--and I'm agnostic!

An ownership change is easily the fastest path to fixing this franchise.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Others have speculated it's because Pegula and his ego can't handle the booing that would come from fans in the building.
That's it. They also tried to shut down Duane and his rant before it went viral.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

But they *are* opening up the building for some games, so I don't know about that one.

I would imagine it is not cost effective to have 1900 fans at a game, so they are limiting it to a handful of games...b/c they are aware of how horrible it would look if they didn't allow any at all.

I say a little prayer every night that Pegula sells the team--and I'm agnostic!

An ownership change is easily the fastest path to fixing this franchise.

Regarding your last point - it also might be the quickest way to ensure the team doesn't remain in Buffalo.

The Pegs have shown what is possible with the Bills. They just need to hire the right people then give said people enough time & space to turn the ship around.

At this point it might take a full 'tear down' type of rebuild. Fans don't want to hear that after so many bad years (including myself) but if trading Eichel & starting afresh is what it takes... So be it.

Pegulas need to be the first to accept it though.

Reactions: Bferra13

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If I was a business owner and people weren't buying tickets, if my staff cost more than what I made from tickets I would also shut it down.

I think the point is the Sabres appear to be the only team doing this for select games. I could be wrong. I checked about 10 other teams (not the whole league) so the appear to be on their own on this so-called strategy. It's probably a money-loser but you do want brand awareness and employ some staff -- this is why restaurants stayed open and did takeout.

Furthermore, if you have now decided you will only sell tickets to home games you can make money on .... there will be a lot of games next year during the week where doors will be shuttered because a Columbus or a Nashville on Tuesday was $6 in the resell market even before this season. The season ticket holder absorbed a lot of it -- I bet the base will be half of the 15,000 it was before. Maybe less. two thirds tops.

Reactions: sabremike

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 9.43.43 AM.png
NHL powerhouse Detroit seems to be selling games.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
My guess is that the ticket demand is very tepid right now. More games/ticket buying opportunities will likely see ticket buyers <1000, likely in the low-hundreds. Not hardly worth turning the lights on.

Keeping the ticketed games at a somewhat exclusive level would (hopefully from their standpoint) make it so there is some sort of manufactured demand for the 4 games.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
My guess is that the ticket demand is very tepid right now. More games/ticket buying opportunities will likely see ticket buyers <1000, likely in the low-hundreds. Not hardly worth turning the lights on.

Keeping the ticketed games at a somewhat exclusive level would (hopefully from their standpoint) make it so there is some sort of manufactured demand for the 4 games.

Might be time to move for next season, if you're not going to sell tickets to every game. We are talking about 10% of capacity, when hockey hasn't been live for a year. What's the plan for 2021-22 to sell tickets.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think the point is the Sabres appear to be the only team doing this for select games. I could be wrong. I checked about 10 other teams (not the whole league) so the appear to be on their own on this so-called strategy. It's probably a money-loser but you do want brand awareness and employ some staff -- this is why restaurants stayed open and did takeout.

Furthermore, if you have now decided you will only sell tickets to home games you can make money on .... there will be a lot of games next year during the week where doors will be shuttered because a Columbus or a Nashville on Tuesday was $6 in the resell market even before this season. The season ticket holder absorbed a lot of it -- I bet the base will be half of the 15,000 it was before. Maybe less. two thirds tops.
Yes restaurants stayed open a did take out while only employing a chef to cook and a restaurant manager to answer the phone, everyone else was laid off. When a stadium is open to fans they need a lot more people so if the costs of ticket purchases cant sustain the money to hire the staff needed to run the keybank center.. it simply isn't worth it.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
They have more wins than us and play a more competent game, they can actually make passes and don't skate over the puck constantly.

Much more fun to watch.

You have Yzerman, a competent front office, and a much better futures pool. There is reason to be optimistic at this point and get excited for growth.

We have a trash bag full of gutter leavings

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I said, back when it was discussed that they were letting fans back in, that they wouldn't be able to sell tix to watch this crap tram.

I was told I was wrong.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I said, back when it was discussed that they were letting fans back in, that they wouldn't be able to sell tix to watch this crap tram.

I was told I was wrong.

As soon as I saw that people had to pay for a test and that cost was non-refundable, I knew they would have a hard time selling tickets.

Especially since the NHL keeps making the Sabres play against teams with COVID issues.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I was told I was wrong.

*raises hand* I said that.

Apparently I misjudged the rabidness of sports fans to get their fix. I honestly thought that Buffalo sports fans would be ponying up left and right to get into the building.

This is one case where I am happy to be wrong.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I was told I was wrong.

Guilty...

I assumed that you will always be able to find 2,000 people that want to watch a hockey game while drinking a beer, especially after having to seclude at home for the past year.

Krueger's firing, Eichel's injury, the Covid testing, on top of everything else was too much I guess.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Any truth to the rumor Dunleavy has done extra games because this season’s on-ice performance has caused RJ severe depression??? :sarcasm:

Edit: queue the tirade from the movie “Network” (I’m mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They weren’t going to get 1/10th capacity on a weeknight. That’s why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad