Sabres' Opponent's Styles

StarvingHysterical

Oct 18, 2014
What kind of team might the Sabres have the most success against? Obviously the obvious and most smart-ass answer is one that doesn't play in the NHL. But in terms of style … the Penguins/Ducks clearly aren't very conducive to winning … but what style of team is? And which teams in the league would you say fit that style? Was there something about the way the Sharks/Red Wings play that allowed us to remain in the game for so long as to somehow, someway, win it? Thanks.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I don't think there is a correct answer due to the makeup of our team. Sounds backwards, but I have trouble putting it into words.

We aren't threatening offensively. Our team defense is suspect, both from the d corps and the forwards. And our goaltending is irrelevant to this discussion.

Frankly, it's really just a matter of us getting a perfect game from the skaters, stellar goaltending, and an off night by our opponent: case in point, Detroit looking terrible and us squeaking out a win.

A very weird question you're asking, by the way. We are just a bad team that needs any and every break possible to be in contention after forty minutes.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Answers to questions like these are way too nuanced. Once you've watched the game long enough, you know some teams just don't get the breaks or don't put in the effort to earn the breaks that could decide the outcome of the game. Despite all of that, to put it concretely, I think Anaheim and Pittsburgh are much better teams than SJ and Detroit, but that's debatable, and not especially specific to the question at hand given the sample size.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Answers to questions like these are way too nuanced. Once you've watched the game long enough, you know some teams just don't get the breaks or don't put in the effort to earn the breaks that could decide the outcome of the game. Despite all of that, to put it concretely, I think Anaheim and Pittsburgh are much better teams than SJ and Detroit, but that's debatable, and not especially specific to the question at hand given the sample size.

Not to nitpick... But SJ isn't "much" worse than the Ducks or Pens. Semantics, sure.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The Sabres have a chance if they play their A+ game and the other team doesn't show up or has major injuries like Carolina. The tank will not be denied!

StarvingHysterical

Oct 18, 2014
Blues or Wild?

Who matches up as a tougher opponent right now for us? Obviously both are tough games on the road, but who's tougher? Thanks.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The Wild are a pretty good possession team, so I'd say they're the worst matchup.
The Wild are pretty much guaranteed to get a shutout vs us. I could at least see us scoring vs the Blues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad