Friedman: Sabres Open For Business

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Maatta has missed games mostly over 2 years ago. He has been great this season. I don't think it's that far off either to be honest, and I wouldn't want beaulieu back, he is terrible.

Yeah, those comments are kind of off base. Maatta is finally healthy and (finally) playing well. However, I don't think he could handle the task of turning around the Sabres' defense - if that's the type of player Botts is looking for.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
SO summarizing what read so far , it’s reported 2+ weeks ago, that Sabres are willing to move anyone minus Jack Eichel. However, Sabres fans don’t want to trade ROR, Risto, Reinhart, Kane, Scandella amongst others. OK so who’s wrong?

As a Sabres fan, we suck! Yes we’ve been playing better as of late but the team can’t score. I’d prefer to sign Kane and trade a bunch of others but I don’t foresee that happening.

Therefore, stop offering aging vets, offer up young players and let’s see what happens.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Think O'Reilly to Columbus might be a good trade.

Columbus:
Ryan O'Reilly
Robin Lehner

Buffalo:
1st 2018
Nick Foligno
Scott Harrington
Joonas Korpisalo
Sonny Milano

Columbus passes hard. O'Reilly doesn't fit due to the cap and the need to re-sign Panarin, Werenski, Murray, Jenner and Bobrovsky in the next two years. They aren't in a position to give up Korpisalo. There's very little in the pipeline behind him. Lehner has negative value because Columbus wouldn't even consider qualifying him at his price.

Columbus just isn't in a position to trade for $7 million players without screwing up the roster.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Columbus passes hard. O'Reilly doesn't fit due to the cap and the need to re-sign Panarin, Werenski, Murray, Jenner and Bobrovsky in the next two years. They aren't in a position to give up Korpisalo. There's very little in the pipeline behind him. Lehner has negative value because Columbus wouldn't even consider qualifying him at his price.

Columbus just isn't in a position to trade for $7 million players without screwing up the roster.

Which was why I included Foligno in the deal, he takes on a cap hit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Which was why I included Foligno in the deal, he takes on a cap hit.
If that's the objective, Dubinsky would probably be a better pick. Almost the same age as Foligno, same contract duration, and not our award-winning Captain. And his is the skillset we'd be looking to upgrade on with a RoR acquisition.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Oilers: Yamamoto, Jones, Pick(1st if we make playoffs, 2nd if we don't), possibly Maroon?
Buf: Reinhart, Kane

Thoughts?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Oilers: Yamamoto, Jones, Pick(1st if we make playoffs, 2nd if we don't), possibly Maroon?
Buf: Reinhart, Kane

Thoughts?
If you you remove any sort of pick protection Id maybe just about consider it. I would expect 1st + Prospect for Kane and that leaves Reinhart for 1 magic bean who is not even putting particularly big numbers in the WHL this season, which is not enough. If you remove the protection there may be some incentive to do this as you may miss the playoffs and we may get a relatively early pick. Maroon is a filler with no value for Buf but we could take him if you don't plan on using him.

I think realistically Botts considers something like this:
Kane+Reinhart
For
Bear/Jones+Yamamoto+1st 2018+4th 2018

Whether that makes sense for Edmonton I have no clue. But then Chia has made so many crazy trades, nothing would surprise me.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
SO summarizing what read so far , it’s reported 2+ weeks ago, that Sabres are willing to move anyone minus Jack Eichel. However, Sabres fans don’t want to trade ROR, Risto, Reinhart, Kane, Scandella amongst others. OK so who’s wrong?

As a Sabres fan, we suck! Yes we’ve been playing better as of late but the team can’t score. I’d prefer to sign Kane and trade a bunch of others but I don’t foresee that happening.

Therefore, stop offering aging vets, offer up young players and let’s see what happens.

This isn't true, I'm all for shopping and trading Kane, Lehner, Pouliot and possibly Reinhart. As well as anyone else. While listening hard on ROR. I wouldn't move: Eichel, Ristolainen, Scandella.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Richel, Ristolainen,and Scandella are unavailable.

Kane will cost a 1st, a B+ prospect and likely something else

Reinhart is available but in return it would have to be for a 24 or younger Dman. He is available because buffalo drafted Mittlestadt.

ROR could be traded as part of a pure hockey trade for NHL players. I don't see this happening this year.

Buffalo does not need young forwards. They have Eichel, reinhart, bailey, baptistery, fasching, and Rodrigues ending their waiver exemptions this season so they will be on the 23 Man next year. Nylande is on a sliding ELC. I didn't not expect him to get called up and burn his first year in part to strategize for a potential expansion draft in 2020. In the AHL they also have CJ Smith and a couple other forwards. They also have drafted Pu, Asplund, Davidsson, and Mittlestadt. That is at least 12 young forwards.

On defense buffalo is lacking in prospect depth. They have Guhle and Stephens starting their ELC this year. They have 5 others that were 3rd-5th round draft prospects playing in college or Europe.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'd be pretty shocked if JR doesn't get a deal done with Bots. Obviously Pittsburgh played a huge role in getting him his own GM gig. Obviously he's not going to give away players (at least I'd hope not) but there has to be familiarity and mutual respect. And obviously Bots is going to know the Pens org better than anyone else out there.

I'd love to see O'Reilly but his cap hit doesn't bode well for a deal unless we were to ship out Hags and another roster player that could bridge the cap gap. Not likely.

Kane is the most likely piece to move. Just a matter of whether the Pens want to risk bringing a guy with his reputation on, given the teams struggles so far.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'd love to aquire O'Reilly but it would require some crafty offseason moves to fit JT,Bailey,de Haan under the cap .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad