Value of: Sabres' Miller or Montour for a comparable LHD

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I think ultimately it depends on what he's hoping on for his next contract. What we'd be looking for is an insurance policy against Seattle deciding it can pick UFAs and grabbing Savard and someone who might work out as a second RH PPQB option with Laine other than Jones (love the guy to death, but his point shot is... heavy but not accurate enough to matter). I'm hoping Montour could possibly do that, but I haven't watched him enough to know him well and so I'm having to go by Other People's Scouting Reports. ;)

Despite acquiring Montour for the PP, he’s not on our PP. Even with Risto out, who is normally on PP2, he’s not there. Colin Miller is instead.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If Buffalo is looking to add a LH D then Pettersson from the Pens is a OK cost with some upside. I always valued Montour and with Marino he can be a second pairing D man and Pens move Letang for picks and or prospects in the off season. Adding Montour also allows the Pens to recoup a second round pick for Cici this year from a contender like the Oilers. With covid and revenue I can see signings being far cheaper than usual.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
If Buffalo is looking to add a LH D then Pettersson from the Pens is a OK cost with some upside. I always valued Montour and with Marino he can be a second pairing D man and Pens move Letang for picks and or prospects in the off season. Adding Montour also allows the Pens to recoup a second round pick for Cici this year from a contender like the Oilers. With covid and revenue I can see signings being far cheaper than usual.
Hell no to Montour! We already have an adventure with Matheson in the lineup in the defense zone. Pittsburgh would have the smallest, softest collection of defensemen in the NHL....hands down. The Montour ship sailed when JR bought in Matheson. We don't need the right handed clone.

Its picks or prospects for Pettersson or Dumo.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Penguins have a glut of LD.

Brian Dumoulin, Marcus Pettersson, Mike Matheson. Pick one, construct a deal.
Yes but we also have a glut of RD. Letang, Marino, Ceci, Friedman, Ruhwedel. We are interested in dealing a LD, but not for a RD. The only way we go hunting for a RD is if you make a major trade involving Letang.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I am more interested in moving a contract that I think is not good. Petts for Montour who is not as bad as some suggest to me represents additional options for a potential trade of Letang. Montour in this climate can be signed for a favorable cap hit and his age and experience is worth some consideration. Matheson has skills that make him a risk reward D man who gives the Pens the only LD who can make that offensive play that gives the Pens help. This is also factors in trading Ceci for a nice pick.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Can’t see the oilers or any team trading a second for ceci

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Can’t see buffalo doing that
Why not?

Graves would be the perfect addition for them, as a 3rd pairing LHD who can play in the top 4. McCabe is injured so he'd fill the 2LHD spot this season. His 2 year term lines up well with Samuelsson and Johnson's developmental timeline as well.

Staal got moved for Johansson so his value is realistically a 3rd or so at the deadline unless he ups his production this season.

The cap difference going forwards might be a bit unbalanced though. Would it be more palatable if Avs include a pick as well?

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Why not?

Graves would be the perfect addition for them, as a 3rd pairing LHD who can play in the top 4. McCabe is injured so he'd fill the 2LHD spot this season. His 2 year term lines up well with Samuelsson and Johnson's developmental timeline as well.

Staal got moved for Johansson so his value is realistically a 3rd or so at the deadline unless he ups his production this season.

The cap difference going forwards might be a bit unbalanced though. Would it be more palatable if Avs include a pick as well?

Staal most likely will veto the trade, and since he came to Buffalo because of his relationship with Adams, I don't see Adams trading Staal against his wishes

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Why not?

Just can’t see them wanting jt’s cap

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Staal most likely will veto the trade, and since he came to Buffalo because of his relationship with Adams, I don't see Adams trading Staal against his wishes
Staal didn't come to Buffalo because of Adams; he was caught completely off-guard and was clearly devastated by the trade.

You're also assuming that leaving Buffalo to go to a contender would be against Staal's wishes, when that's not a certainty.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Staal didn't come to Buffalo because of Adams; he was caught completely off-guard and was clearly devastated by the trade.

You're also assuming that leaving Buffalo to go to a contender would be against Staal's wishes.

There were rumors that Staal would've retired if he was traded by Guerin to a playoff team, so what I mean when I said he came to Buffalo because of Adams is that he chose to not retire and reported to Buffalo because he played with Adams in Carolina

I think until proven otherwise, you should leave your expectations of acquiring Staal for the equivalent of a 3rd rounder off the table

Reactions: Richard88

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Why not?

Contract savings favour AVs, but deal is for UFAs would long term lean to BUF. With Eichel increasingly frustrated with another possible non-playoff doubtful a deal can be done its these players.

Reactions: Richard88

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Ceci with the way he is playing can command a 2nd due to the need of a contender for a RH shot who has nice size and skills. He fits the needs as a cheap contract that has ends this year.

Reactions: ownal

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Vlasic for Okposo and Miller. You know you want to.
Honestly that’d be great for buffalo, vlasics obvi not what he once was but is the exact type of player and probably more importantly type of person they need to continue infusing into that locker room continuing to change the culture and provide mentorship for the young guys and even younger vets who haven’t experienced a playoff run/a room with the understanding of what it takes to win in this league

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Honestly that’d be great for buffalo, vlasics obvi not what he once was but is the exact type of player and probably more importantly type of person they need to continue infusing into that locker room continuing to change the culture and provide mentorship for the young guys and even younger vets who haven’t experienced a playoff run/a room with the understanding of what it takes to win in this league

Nah, his contract is a disaster. Only way the Sabres should consider adding Vlasic is if Skinner is going the other way.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Someone explain to me Montour. The ability is there but he looks so timid on the ice. Is this he went downhill or Freddie Kruger is an idiot and with a change of scenery Montour will play better?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Someone explain to me Montour. The ability is there but he looks so timid on the ice. Is this he went downhill or Freddie Kruger is an idiot and with a change of scenery Montour will play better?

Couple things: (1) he spent all of last season playing either on his off side or on the 4th line as a winger because Botterill thought it would be a good idea to create a roster with 9 RHD, which I imagine wasn't great for Montour's confidence; (2) Krueger basically makes his defensemen raise their hand to request a hall pass before they're allowed to skate out of the defensive zone. Not exactly a system that showcases the skill of D like Montour (or Dahlin).

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I had a closer look at Montour's analytics recently and it seems he's been good whenever he's played RHD with Dahlin or McCabe. Whenever he's been away from them though he's played LD or with a bad partner (Irwin) which hasn't helped. He's a puckrushing Dman who needs to be deployed correctly for his elite skillset (moving the puck from DZ to OZ) to work. I don't get the sense that Krueger knows how to use him to get the best out of him.

The situation reminds me a bit of Barrie in Toronto under Babcock. Under a coach like Bednar Barrie was a 60 point Dman (or close to it), but Babcock neutered his game by forcing him to play outlet passes instead of rushing the puck, and his game suffered as a result. I could see Montour's game picking up again away from Buffalo just like how Barrie improved after Babcock.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad