Friedman: Sabres Looking To Move Vinnie Hinostroza

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sure, and NJ is probably looking to move Andreas Johnsson. Every team in the league has guys like this they would love to get a return on when the talent level improves enough they no longer need them and don't want to pay them. Hinostroza has 0 goals this year. Who is trading anything for him?

Edit: I'm not trying to denigrate the OP who raised a valid report, I'm just amazed that the teams can't see what all of us fans can see. Are there still GMs that dumb they don't realize that bottom of the lineup players can be acquired for future considerations in this cap environment should they need them?

Reactions: themelkman

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
This is what waivers is for.

End thread.
If Hinostroza was placed on waivers he probably wouldn’t warrant a claim due to his cap hit and lack of production as a 13th-14th forward fill in playing just over 12 minutes a night in a sparingly role.

Maybe Arizona could take a chance and reacquire Hinostroza since Vinnie’s best season in his career was with the Coyotes scoring nearly 40 points about 5 seasons ago.

The Yotes have been playing 7 defenseman for about a month now due to a few injuries to their forwards maybe it wouldn’t hurt to see if Hinostroza has anything left on a bad team with more opportunities for playing time.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Buffalo is looking to move him to open up a Roster spot.

they are not wanting nhl players back.

right now they are doing waiver jump a rope with their waiver exempt players sending one down when UPL plays thrn UPL is send down.

they are looking to go 13/7/3 for a roster

Buffalo had most of the injuries on D/G but not much at F. So Hino hasn’t played as much. They haven’t called up a F from AHL other than these paper only transactions to comply with 23 man.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If Buffalo retains 50% I can see a team or two having interest in him for future considerations, outside of that they're going to have bury him.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
If Buffalo retains 50% I can see a team or two having interest in him for future considerations, outside of that they're going to have bury him.
I don't see why they wouldn't retain. It would be better for them financially than waiving. I could see a team taking a shot on him at half salary for futures or a 7th.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022

If Vatrano is shipped off at the deadline. Because New York Rangers want him. Anaheim can take him on. It’s only 1.7 million and a expiring contract.

Anaheim should be interested on a deal like this if Vatrano is traded for a good return.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Send him to the hawks. You can have your choice of Katchouk, Reese Johnson. Can’t pass up a great return like that cmon.

I wouldn't mind if Vinnie went back to Chicago. He's been a good guy for them, but it's not working this year as it did last. Some of it is on him as he's not going to harder areas of the ice when he does play. And some is on the team as they brought in youngsters who have been productive as rookies in Quinn and Peterka.

He extended because he wanted some stability - he and his wife have had two kids in his short time in Buffalo and he didn't want to move again. Knowing he's from Chicago, even just future considerations would work.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's one of those reasonably useful depth utility "filler" players. But his cap number pretty much precludes him being moved to a playoff team as depth. Which leaves non-playoff teams...and why would they be looking to add a depth filler player at that price? Much less move any sort of assets to do it.

Chicago for future considerations is pretty much the only thing that really makes sense to me. Probably around the time Chicago start moving out bodies toward the deadline and need some guys to play a few minutes in their place.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
He's one of those reasonably useful depth utility "filler" players. But his cap number pretty much precludes him being moved to a playoff team as depth. Which leaves non-playoff teams...and why would they be looking to add a depth filler player at that price? Much less move any sort of assets to do it.

Chicago for future considerations is pretty much the only thing that really makes sense to me. Probably around the time Chicago start moving out bodies toward the deadline and need some guys to play a few minutes in their place.

Agreed, that’s why I mentioned Anaheim. And if Vatrano is traded. Anaheim certainly should be calling. That 1.7 million is chump change for Anaheim to finish off our season.

I’m sure a lot of teams don’t need retention. They will just take em for future considerations to finish off their season. I know that’s what I would do after Vatrano at the deadline. And I’m sure a lot of other sellers will do the same.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Seems like a good role or utility player getting moved to not block development for younger players coming in the fold.

I think there will be teams interested.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Im not sure the ins and outs on contracts like that but cant they just send him on waivers? Or do they think he has trade value?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Im not sure the ins and outs on contracts like that but cant they just send him on waivers? Or do they think he has trade value?
Trying to do him a solid. But it’s not bad to have a veteran playing press box captain instead of a young player.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
19 GP, 0 G, 8A, 8PT for $1.7mil.

That's gonna be a really, really tough sell. Better players were put on waivers.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Someone with cap room should find a way to take him on and rent him at 50% in two months. Even better, get Buffalo to retain and then he can be rented at less than ELC-level...

19 GP, 0 G, 8A, 8PT for $1.7mil.

That's gonna be a really, really tough sell. Better players were put on waivers.
Expiring contracts can be very attractive though. Better players often have an extra year added (Tolvanen comes to mind) so it's a bigger commitment, when you don't know who'll be available over the summer. But unused cap at the deadline is basically just wasted, so any kind of a playoff team, or even one thinking of signing the guy this summer, might as well give him a spin.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

It's unlikely that he'd be claimed outright due to his cap hit. Also there a few teams close to the 50 contract limit, so adding another contract without sending one back may not be a trivial matter. I'd imagine teams would prefer to have some room for contracts to potentially sign their own prospects or a free wallet college free agent in April.

Hypothetically there might be a team willing to take Hinostroza if they could swap back a similar unwanted contract. As much as some people think waivers is the equivalent of telling a friend they can have your car for free, it's more like you can have my car but you're now responsible for the remainder of the lease.

There's not many teams with cap space and the teams who are playoff contenders probably want to preserve their limited space for a bigger fish. The teams with a heap of cap space might not have the green light from ownership to add to payroll.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

step 1 is call around
step 2 is waivers
step 3….

A. His contract could be mutually terminated. He got paid for half the season which is around $850K. This make him a UFA

B. What’s more likely…..after Comrie got health they now have 3G. So they have done paper transactions between the waiver exempt players putting one of them off roster in a send downl he instead is being sent down but he probably dosnt report if he clears. Insyead, ghe is the first call up with F injury

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
step 1 is call around
step 2 is waivers
step 3….
Underpants Gnomes.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad