GDT: Sabres@Leafs 7 PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
5th overall in 2003/04

Yeah I looked it up, it's not as bad as I made it out to be. Anyhow, the one I think we all really care about is our playoff record and I don't think I need to delve into the details of our history there.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
And yet people want to trade Gardiner and think he would be easily replaceable. He just you know, plays the most bloody ice time on the team...
I think he could handle even more ice time.

In those multi-overtime playoff games, Gardiner is money.

edit: in game 2 last year... Gardiner and Rielly each played about 40 min in a double OT game:

Toronto Maple Leafs - Washington Capitals - April 15th, 2017

edit 2: that was the game Polak got injured. still an insane amount of ice time for one game... and he never looks tired.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I dont see why he would. He only starts B2Bs

Now that everything is all but technically locked up, I wouldn’t mind seeing McBackup playing 3 of the final 7.

We know McBackup will play one of the b2b’s, but giving him a couple extra starts wouldn’t hurt Andy any.

In fact, I wouldn’t mind resting a good portion of our lineup at some point.

We have 5 spare guys right now and a callup to use, we can give some guys games off in the final couple games if Babcock was so inclined.

I doubt it, but we have the bodies to do it

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
not to be too negative, but I'm losing a lot of confidence in Hainsey since he got back from the flu. Since February 3rd, he's been the worst possession player on the team besides Komarov.

Oh yeah, and I'm also worried about Komarov coming back

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Now that everything is all but technically locked up, I wouldn’t mind seeing McBackup playing 3 of the final 7.

We know McBackup will play one of the b2b’s, but giving him a couple extra starts wouldn’t hurt Andy any.

In fact, I wouldn’t mind resting a good portion of our lineup at some point.

We have 5 spare guys right now and a callup to use, we can give some guys games off in the final couple games if Babcock was so inclined.

I doubt it, but we have the bodies to do it

Yeah I've been saying this for a while. Goalies are funny/unique, Andersen might benefit from a rest but then again, he might be fine and would prefer to stay sharp so that's an unclear situation for me. The skaters though, for sure a bunch of them should get a rest at some point IMO. The playoffs are going to be a long grind (hopefully) so best get some rest now.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

You can tell these are going to be hard games to get motivated for lol.

Start the playoffs already!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
All I care about now is playing well and staying healthy going into the playoffs. Time for some players to start pulling their weight! AKA Plekanec, Bozak, Brown, Hainsey, and Zaitsev
I've thought Bozak and Brown have looked fine the past few games - Brown's still looking solid on the defensive end of things, even if he's not scoring, and Bozak's seemed more engaged recently. I also thought Zaitsev was alright on Saturday.

Agreed, though, that in principle we need to continue to see strong efforts from our vets - JVR, Gardiner, Marleau and Kadri have all been really good lately, and we'll need that depth firing if we're going to get anywhere in the Playoffs.

Reactions: Liminality

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
Sabres are in full tank mode and that includes reading our game day thread because they don't have one.

Leafs 5-3; close game before the sabres decide that losing is better for them.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Yeah I've been saying this for a while. Goalies are funny/unique, Andersen might benefit from a rest but then again, he might be fine and would prefer to stay sharp so that's an unclear situation for me. The skaters though, for sure a bunch of them should get a rest at some point IMO. The playoffs are going to be a long grind (hopefully) so best get some rest now.

I'd be having Leivo take turns playing in different spots in the lineup to give people a rest.

I'd give Marleau a rest. The guy is pretty old with a ton of games under his belt. I'm he wouldn't mind a few nights off.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I'd be having Leivo take turns playing in different spots in the lineup to give people a rest.

I'd give Marleau a rest. The guy is pretty old with a ton of games under his belt. I'm he wouldn't mind a few nights off.

He may, considering his ironman stretch...

Reactions: Daisy Jane

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Not necessarily, their playoff results would be a factor in their draft position.
That only matters if you finish in the conference finals or better. We could have 84 points right now and be projected to pick 14th overall while having the exact same playoffs series. But there is good in finishing strong before playoffs

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
tumblr_nn4ygb7LiX1qm73ogo1_500.gif

(but pls don't get hurt)
Ayiyiiyiyiyiyi

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Would be nice to keep winning. Mainly to head into the playoffs on a high note but it would also be nice to stay at 6th overall. We've been 6th for a while now but with only 3 less points than we have now we'd be 9th, just one point ahead of 10th. And yes, I know our overall place in the standings doesn't mean much at this point but still, when was the last time we finished as high as 6th overall? When Nixon was president? Before the first expansion draft? :laugh:

Pretty sure with Sundin we had a few good years there.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've thought Bozak and Brown have looked fine the past few games - Brown's still looking solid on the defensive end of things, even if he's not scoring, and Bozak's seemed more engaged recently. I also thought Zaitsev was alright on Saturday.

Agreed, though, that in principle we need to continue to see strong efforts from our vets - JVR, Gardiner, Marleau and Kadri have all been really good lately, and we'll need that depth firing if we're going to get anywhere in the Playoffs.

Bozak with 8 points in last 10 games. Not bad for an old guy.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
That only matters if you finish in the conference finals or better. We could have 84 points right now and be projected to pick 14th overall while having the exact same playoffs series. But there is good in finishing strong before playoffs

Hence the phrase "not necessarily" in my post.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Sure, but half the board loses their minds when a suggestion that one of "spares" gets a spot in the line up.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Would be nice to keep winning. Mainly to head into the playoffs on a high note but it would also be nice to stay at 6th overall. We've been 6th for a while now but with only 3 less points than we have now we'd be 9th, just one point ahead of 10th. And yes, I know our overall place in the standings doesn't mean much at this point but still, when was the last time we finished as high as 6th overall? When Nixon was president? Before the first expansion draft? :laugh:
we were 5th overall in the league in 2004, behind tampa bay, boston, detroit and san jose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad