GDT: Sabres @ Kings 10:30 EST TV:MSG Radio:WGR550 - Is It Even Hockey Anymore?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20240124_102900_Instagram.jpg

SmartSelect_20240124_102919_Google.jpg

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
These fookers are going to actually show up and play well, win this game, and then pronounce to the world that all the fans are wrong, they're a good team, "see, we WON!"

If they do, then don't buy that BS. Just don't.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
These fookers are going to actually show up and play well, win this game, and then pronounce to the world that all the fans are wrong, they're a good team, "see, we WON!"

If they do, then don't buy that BS. Just don't.
Has anyone bought it for the last however many weeks? I am pretty sure nobody here has bought it for a while.

Reactions: Chainshot

Franchise32of32

Jan 24, 2024
The Sabres have not played well against defense first teams. LA hasn't played well of late but they know how to trap a game to death, and the Buffalo Sabres refuse to dump and chase. They all think they're masters of the classic Max Afinogenov 1 on 3 skate the puck in zone entry.

Maybe Levi can steal one, but I sure wouldn't bet on it. I expect a game much like Tampa a few days ago. The Kings will jump out to an early lead and lock it down. The Sabres will feel good about themselves because they'll take a lot of perimeter shots and have possession in the last half of the game. Meanwhile, the Kings will win 3 - 1.

At some point Terry does wake up and can both Adams and Granato. He makes more money in a month than he'll pay Granato and Adams in a decade. He may not like it, but he can eat those saleries too. The losses will cause him to act at some point.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Has anyone bought it for the last however many weeks? I am pretty sure nobody here has bought it for a while.
On these boards? Probably.

The casual fan still buying tickets, beers, food, and souvenirs in the arena? Yes, unfortunately there are still people eating the koolaid.

Reactions: Mattilaus

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

The casual fan still buying tickets, beers, food, and souvenirs in the arena? Yes, unfortunately there are still people eating the koolaid.

Sadly, there are also a lot of fans from So. Ontario who are turning out to see cheaper than MLSE hockey for some teams like the Canucks, Oilers and the usual collection of old Adams Division foes. The attendance among Sabre fans is dwindling.

As for tonight, who knows? They're immature and they play like it. They might dial one in and win. They might be checked out and get roasted. It's like rubbernecking an accident at this point.

Reactions: Ehran

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
We basically no-showed against the Ducks last night.

The Kings are a better team than the Ducks.

EVERYTHING is pointing to us getting absolutely run out of the rink tonight.

This is why we win 6-2.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

You can still enjoy a hockey game when your team loses you know. We would no longer have the Bills if everyone stopped showing up during the drought. My wife loves going to games but she isn't asking for coaches to be fired if they lose.

Reactions: Dex and Ehran

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You can still enjoy a hockey game when your team loses you know. We would no longer have the Bills if everyone stopped showing up during the drought. My wife loves going to games but she isn't asking for coaches to be fired if they lose.

Yes, because holding fans hostage to terrible management is certainly the best way to have a healthy relationship with an entertainment product. Threats to leave if people don't show up for shitty teams is manipulation. The outcome of being shitty is people don't have to spend their entertainment money on those shitty products. Supply and demand - basic economics.

Kevbeau

Sponsor
Jul 11, 2006
We basically no-showed against the Ducks last night.

The Kings are a better team than the Ducks.

EVERYTHING is pointing to us getting absolutely run out of the rink tonight.

This is why we win 6-2.
The math checks out

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The word that best describes them at this point is petulant. As befits the youngest team in the league, they don't do what they're supposed to in order to win. Be ready, be on time, do the work, do it well... nah. Oh, but now that there might be consequences or they feel bad about their no-show result... show up!

Immature little prats.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Absolutely true. I would counter with "but the hockey being played isn't very good" argument.

People attend for a wide variety of reasons, and there will always be a limit on how low attendance will go. I don't begrudge anyone their money spent on entertainment.

My point was more targeted towards the casual Sabres fans than the ones that enjoy a night out for entertainment. I hope your wife enjoys the games but I also believe that the games are much, much more enjoyable when the teams are good, the hockey is good, there are a lot of fans in the stands, and the games are meaningful. That really helps create a better (IMO) atmosphere for those attending.

Reactions: Chainshot

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Absolutely true. I would counter with "but the hockey being played isn't very good" argument.

People attend for a wide variety of reasons, and there will always be a limit on how low attendance will go. I don't begrudge anyone their money spent on entertainment.

My point was more targeted towards the casual Sabres fans than the ones that enjoy a night out for entertainment. I hope your wife enjoys the games but I also believe that the games are much, much more enjoyable when the teams are good, the hockey is good, there are a lot of fans in the stands, and the games are meaningful. That really helps create a better (IMO) atmosphere for those attending.
The key element of being a fan is the shared experience but it's not just about sharing with other fans. You also share the experience with the team and staff. When they don't show up or make an effort to improve that shared experience I think it's natural to back off as a fan.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The key element of being a fan is the shared experience but it's not just about sharing with other fans. You also share the experience with the team and staff. When they don't show up or make an effort to improve that shared experience I think it's natural to back off as a fan.

I think of Dahlin's misplaced plea for the fans last year and wonder if that idea, that the fans need to show up to give the team something so that the team will perform, is part of the organizational fibre. The fans don't owe them jack shit. The players are there to provide entertainment. That's what people pay money to see. And not for nothing, the team doesn't do what it can to get the crowd into the game. As a market, we KNOW Buffalo loves the physical side of the game. And so they've built the most afraid, small-dick-energy bunch of cowards in the league. Tissue paper has more grit than this roster. And I think that's a reflection of the owner not being in town and not actually understanding A) his market and more importantly B) the sport at this level. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a team identity of physicality can be marketed even in the face of middling on-ice results.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00