Confirmed with Link: Sabres hire Tim Kennedy and Nathan Paetsch as development coaches

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
From Amerks.com
Development coaches are conduits between NHL clubs and their prospects, traveling across the globe to build one-on-one relationships in addition to tracking their on-ice progress.
"The mission is just to provide constant support to our prospects," he said. "To build trusting and strong relationships so that our prospects can become the best people and the best players that they're capable of being and then at the end of the day, working tirelessly to help them become future Buffalo Sabres."

I wasn't sure what they did either. I thought they worked with current players as well as prospects.

Last edited:

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Wish we’d hire a development coach that actually developed as a player.

Patches is putting together a PowerPoint right now for rookie camp: How To are-Enter The NHL Draft

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres round out development staff by hiring Tim Kennedy, Nathan Paetsch

Kennedy, a sixth-round draft choice in 2005 and a Bishop Timon-St. Jude graduate, most recently served as director for the Academy of Hockey at LECOM Harborcenter.

A seventh-round draft choice of the Sabres in 2003, Paetsch rejoined the organization for the 2017-18 season after winning a Calder Cup with the Grand Rapids Griffins the previous year. He lives in the Rochester area, where he's run hockey camps for defensemen.

Kennedy and Paetsch join a development staff that includes three other coaches – Dan Girardi, Mike Ansell and Seamus Kotyk – and is led by newly appointed director of player development Adam Mair. Matt Ellis, now an assistant coach under Don Granato, led the department last season.
Development coaches work with prospects in the American Hockey League, ECHL, NCAA and junior or pro leagues across the globe. Paetsch will be among those working closely with Owen Power if the left-shot defenseman returns to the University of Michigan for his sophomore season.

We need John Scott, Professor Emeritus Fine Arts, to teach these kids.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Cheap guys who already live in the area are easy to get.
Right. Most of these guys make more from their pension than they do from their salary as a development coach. Guys that have played 10 years are looking at around $200k/yr. These jobs probably pay in $35-50k range. Former players aren't going to uproot their families for that when they can do a commercial for a local car dealership or coach a youth team in their hometown. They can afford to be selective. Goaltending development coaches are the only ones they might need to pay a premium and Kotyk is a good one. The Sabres are fortunate to be on the border or they'd really struggle to find development coaches. Jeff Skinner has already expressed interest in remaining with the Sabres as a developmental coach when his contract is done. :laugh:

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Pretty sure John Scott IRL actually has a BS mechanical engineering degree from Michigan Tech (one of my retired coworkers is an alumnus). No small feat.

If I recall, he made sure to get a degree, in case the hockey thing didn’t work out. And that if he stopped getting contracts, he’d retire (after discussing that with his wife).

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Tim Kennedy and Nathan Paetsch were teammates of new boss Adam Mair. Mair picking people he knows and trusts.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Tim Kennedy and Nathan Paetsch were teammates of new boss Adam Mair. Mair picking people he knows and trusts.
I think they're doing it the right way by building a staff of people that know and trust each other that aren't competing with each other. Adams seems to have a good grasp of how to build a culture. It's done in little steps.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think they're doing it the right way by building a staff of people that know and trust each other that aren't competing with each other. Adams seems to have a good grasp of how to build a culture. It's done in little steps.

We'll see what happens with the on-ice product...........but I've really liked what Adams has done to the rest of the front office and coaching staff.

Reactions: joshjull

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
That would have happened shortly after the draft. If you mean a prospect tournament before training camp, I doubt it, but have no idea really.

Pre-covid, the Sabres would have a development camp for the new and recent draftees as well as some free agent invitees. I'm pretty sure it was held 1-2 weeks after the draft.

Then, in the immediate pre- training camp period, they would have the prospect tournament that you mentioned.

With the compressed off season, I do not think they are having either event

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The Mental Side of Building Culture: A Collaboration Between A Sports Performance Coach and A Mental Game Coach

I happened upon this interesting article after finding the Twitter account of the Sabres S&C coach:

https://twitter.com/edgannon10?lang=en

Here are two articles Gannon published:

Physical Game Demands of Ice Hockey Part 1: Work Capacity

Physical Game Demands of Ice Hockey Part 2: Strength, Power, Speed & Body Composition

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Wish we’d hire a development coach that actually developed as a player.

Patches is putting together a PowerPoint right now for rookie camp: How To are-Enter The NHL Draft
Wayne Gretzky: how to assemble Hart trophies in your 15 million dollar home according to Feng Shui

• Haha
Reactions: oldgoalie

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
They didn’t want to pay Kennedy when he played for them. Why the sudden change of heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad