Confirmed with Link: Sabres hire Tim Kennedy and Nathan Paetsch as development coaches

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Do other teams have 6 development coaches?

Seems like the budget is there to try to build this organization back up.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Clearly, the number of coaches is proportional to the amount of development needed.
What's the Sabres fascination with hiring ex players? It hasn't worked too well for us.
Keeping with their theme, the Sabres only want ex-players who want to be here.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Kinda neat to see guys return; hopefully they're good at the job.

Not sure about Kennedy, but Patches should be ok. He was well regarded and played a leadership role at various points in his career.

Kennedy I always wished would have gotten more of chance with Buffalo. I get the whole arbitration thing and that they viewed him similarly to Gerbe (who was much cheaper) but he showed well in his short tenure with the big club.

Reactions: IlikeEich

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not sure about Kennedy, but Patches should be ok. He was well regarded and played a leadership role at various points in his career.

Kennedy I always wished would have gotten more of chance with Buffalo. I get the whole arbitration thing and that they viewed him similarly to Gerbe (who was much cheaper) but he showed well in his short tenure with the big club.
From what I remember Patches was basically a player coach in his last year with the Amerks.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
From what I remember Patches was basically a player coach in his last year with the Amerks.
Pretty sure you're correct. We're similar age, so you may also remember there was an article on Lindy Ruff around the time he became BUF's all-time winningest coach. At the end of Ruff's career with the NY Rangers, he was in a similar role, at least with the d-men.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Pretty sure you're correct. We're similar age, so you may also remember there was an article on Lindy Ruff around the time he became BUF's all-time winningest coach. At the end of Ruff's career with the NY Rangers, he was in a similar role, at least with the d-men.
After the Rangers, Ruff was a player/coach for the Amerks iirc.

Reactions: brian_griffin

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I just remember in his first game, Paetsch took a Chara slapper right to the helmet and he seemed fine but I'm gonna guess that was a sliding doors moment for ol' Patches.

Hashbrown77

Apr 25, 2017
I dont really care who it is at the moment, the fact that theres an actual effort to improve the "structure" of this organization makes me happy. Scouting and player development departments were gutted by the Pegulas and the results on the ice were clear for all to see.......bottom feeding trash. Until all or most of the front office mess is resolved dont expect much change on ice, regardless of who is or isnt in the lineup. :)

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
I do not like the Patches hire. Didn't like the Tocchet angle during the "coaching hunt" earlier this year either. It's a bad look.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

This was what I was kind of getting at when people were up in arms with Adams cleaning house around covid. I did think it was more of an excuse than cost savings measures. The payroll was small potatoes relative to the player payroll and other sunk costs Peguala has taken on. I figured there would be lots of hiring once rebuilding started and KA could build the org with the people he wanted.

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
I have no idea if either of these guys are qualified to be development coaches . I want to be fair to both Kennedy and Paetsch , but this just seems like more of the same old strategy of hiring guys that the fan base or ownership is familiar with . The Pegula's have been enamored with people from the Penguins organization for some time and they also have a bit of a history with hiring former Sabres players . This seems to be some kind of cheap way to placate the fanbase that management is working hard to rebuild this franchise . When you have 30 plus teams in this league I doubt that the most talented coaches you could pursue are former Penguins or Sabres players .

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I have no idea what a development coach is. I know there are coaches, assistants, skating instructors, trainers, strength and conditioning coaches, dieticians, team psychologists, goalie coaches but development coaches? Could have used them to develop some sense in the senior Sabres management but too late for that. Is this like a personal valet or a batman as British used to have? Somehow this looks like a combination pr move combined with "jobs for boys". Maybe a knowledgeable insider can enlighten me.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I’m going with he did it by accident

It was a clumsy play. Idk why I still remember it so vividly. He tried to anticipate it and laid down to block it but Chara hesitated an extra second and a shot that would have hit him in the shin guards (but probably still hurt) instead caught the still-sliding Paetsch right on the head. He showed Chara where it hit him after the next whistle and he just looked at him like, "Alright, weirdo".

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I have no idea what a development coach is. I know there are coaches, assistants, skating instructors, trainers, strength and conditioning coaches, dieticians, team psychologists, goalie coaches but development coaches? Could have used them to develop some sense in the senior Sabres management but too late for that. Is this like a personal valet or a batman as British used to have? Somehow this looks like a combination pr move combined with "jobs for boys". Maybe a knowledgeable insider can enlighten me.

This is from a 76ers job posting for a Player Development Coach.

Description:The Player Development Coach is a vital part of the organization’s basketball staff with a primary responsibility to monitor and continuously develop player(s) skill set through on-court training and daily film breakdown. This position assists the Director of Player Development in executing the on-court player development program while also supporting the player’s off-court development.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
  • Build a relationship of trust and mentorship with players, helping them learn how to be a professional, adjust to the NBA, establish a professional work ethic, etc.
  • Closely collaborate with Head Coach, Assistant Coaches, Director of Player Development and Athlete Care to ensure player performance and growth
  • Collaborate in the design, implementation and evaluation of developmental goals, as well as the implementation of development plans to fulfill those
  • Collaborate in the growth of the franchise’s own coaching and development methodology, devising novel ways to develop players’ basketball skill and intelligence
  • Execute player skill acquisition events, both on- and off-court
  • Reinforce the basketball vision and plans of the Head Coach in practice and through video
  • Regularly report player progress toward goals to the Director and Vice President of Player Development
  • Oversee collaborative development work with players assigned to Blue Coats (G-League) when needed
  • Assist in on- and off-court elements during practice
  • Aid in any game preparation and/or day-to-day tasks, as needed/directed by Head Coach
  • Other duties as assigned
Qualifications (educational, experience and basic knowledge requirements):
  • The candidate should have experience helping players improve through coaching/training
  • Coaching experience at the collegiate or professional level is a plus
  • Experience playing at the collegiate or professional level is a plus
  • Experience or interest in the field of coaching methodology, skill acquisition and overall human learning techniques is a strong plus
  • Strong communication skills required
  • Strong organizational skills required
  • Passion for teaching and learning
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The position is almost always a former player, and very frequently intended to provide a 'life after retirement' pathway for those that want to get into coaching or management. It's not just a makework thing ; it's helpful for the former player and the active one too.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad