Confirmed with Link: Sabres hire data engineer Matthew Barlowe

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

At least in terms of how those departments are listed, the Sabres fifth staffer makes them one of the largest on that list. The Leafs list 11, the Kraken have 6 (no surprise) and the Islanders also at 6. Buffalo and LA have 5.

Also cool to see local lad Lee Stempniak using that Dartmouth education as part of the Coyotes data crew.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
What the hell is a data engineer? I’m not sure but i know I like it

I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek, but it got me curious. I found this link:

What is a data engineer and what do they do?

What is a data engineer?

A data engineer is an IT worker whose primary job is to prepare data for analytical or operational uses. These software engineers are typically responsible for building data pipelines to bring together information from different source systems.

It was interesting to see, in their chart, that Data Engineers are on average the 3rd highest salaried position in "Data Management" roles. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Should we start a thread on what actors will play which data people after the Sabres win the cup and we’re the team in Money Ball2?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

This should have been the tip off

anyway I’m ecstatic that they continue down this path. Or that they’ve even chosen a path

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It actually makes a lot of sense that they’d be able to attract top flight analytics talent when you think about it. They have ownership that was probably open to anything after the last decade and the thing these people want most is somewhere that will listen to and execute their work. This is the ultimate what do we have to lose opportunity in sports…sadly.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Python is everywhere. If you have mad Python skills, you can get a job any f***ing where. It's like C++ skills when that first become a hot language.
I went all in on Malbolge because it's impossible to explain and even more difficult to understand. The beauty of Malbolge is it's so obscure you can put it on a CV, claim to be proficient and there's no way to verify it. The biggest advantage of Malbolge is that unlike Python, no one uses Malbolge. However there is always the threat of someone using Malbolge for nefarious purposes which is why "smart" companies should have a Malbolge consultant on retainer. As a Malbolge consultant, you will do absolutely nothing while those in the Python rat race write code until their eyes bleed.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I went all in on Malbolge because it's impossible to explain and even more difficult to understand. The beauty of Malbolge is it's so obscure you can put it on a CV, claim to be proficient and there's no way to verify it. The biggest advantage of Malbolge is that unlike Python, no one uses Malbolge. However there is always the threat of someone using Malbolge for nefarious purposes which is why "smart" companies should have a Malbolge consultant on retainer. As a Malbolge consultant, you will do absolutely nothing while those in the Python rat race write code until their eyes bleed.

Just updated my CV with "Malbolge consultant". Always liked the BOFH, pretty sure he invented this language. It's not as evil as ABAB/4 though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad