Confirmed with Link: Sabres Hire Dan Girardi in a Player Development Role

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Wasn’t he at HarborCentre a couple years a go and everyone thought the Sabres were signing him? Probably was more about laying groundwork for this type of position.

Reactions: Chainshot

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Wasn’t he at HarborCentre a couple years a go and everyone thought the Sabres were signing him? Probably was more about laying groundwork for this type of position.

I believe he lives right across the border so HarborCenter was probably the most logical spot for off-season training.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Can we please change the title to Girardi, I had know idea who Girard was.:D
He went to the Cup finals a few years ago ( lost to LAK for their 2nd Cup) when the Rangers had a Cinderella playoffs. Their D-men were pretty healthy that season; MacDunnah, Strawlman, etc. 5 of them essentially played a full season >75 games. Dan Boyel didn’t join the Rangers until after their Cup final. Only 1 NYR 20-goal scorer that year, Rick Nasch. Matt Zuckarella led them in scoring.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I'm not sure how Friedman, or anyone for that matter, can call hiring Dan Girardi a "great" hire. I mean, what has Girardi done as a coach to make that assumption?

Reactions: jc17

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm not sure how Friedman, or anyone for that matter, can call hiring Dan Girardi a "great" hire. I mean, what has Girardi done as a coach to make that assumption?

he’s not being hired as a game coach. He’s working player development. I’d say Girardi’s work going from an unstaffed player to playing top 4 minutes in the NHL for over a decade qualifies him.

4 years in the OHL as well. He’s a poster child for “hard work getting you there.”

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Right, but we know someone who did something as a player doesn't necessarily make them good at coaching others, even if they had to work for it.

Obviously he seems like a good person for the job, but it is funny how many "great hires " there are according to the analysts at times.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
he’s not being hired as a game coach. He’s working player development. I’d say Girardi’s work going from an unstaffed player to playing top 4 minutes in the NHL for over a decade qualifies him.

4 years in the OHL as well. He’s a poster child for “hard work getting you there.”
I understand that point of view, but the fact that he was never actually a good player has to be held against him, no?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I understand that point of view, but the fact that he was never actually a good player has to be held against him, no?

I don’t think calling him “never a good player” is accurate. He played over a decade in the NHL.

I think a player development director needs to be experienced at all the levels and know the process, plus know what the demands are to advance. Girardi has certainly done that.

Reactions: Ehran and Zman5778

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad