Confirmed with Link: Sabres have promoted Seth Appert to assistant coach/Amir Gulati to video coordinator/Girardi let go

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Watching this, Lindy is either a great actor or is truly excited to have Appert on his staff.
Think it's more of a Terry thing wanting to keep him around imo. Known Pegula crony with a similar story to how Adams got the job.
Adam's also says Pegula's pockets are completely open and he is completely hands off as well but everything seems to contradict that.

If it is true, maybe we should point all fingers at Adams and leave Terry out of it because if we continue to miss playoffs, it's all on Adams.

It's not unusual for employees to cover for employers and a coach to cover for a GM to keep their jobs.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Adam's also says Pegula's pockets are completely open and he is completely hands off as well but everything seems to contradict that.

If it is true, maybe we should point all fingers at Adams and leave Terry out or it.
I believe that Terry is willing to spend but I do not believe he is hands off. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think it was needed, tbh. Wilford did a bang up job with the D and the PK, Bales did a great job with UPL. Appert gets a chance at working with the forwards and the PP. Ellis, much like most of his career, gets to head to the press box and provide insight in that manner. I know people wanted sweeping changes but they honestly were not needed. I also trust that Ruff has the authority to banish someone if it isn't working.
I'm not sure our young D developed well under Wilford. There is no question for Bales, he should have stayed. I was expecting 1-2 assistants with NHL experience. Appert and Rochester haven't been as good this season as they were last season. Yes, he seems to know how to work with young forwards, but we are not in a development season and will have to fight for a place in the playoffs, I don’t know how they will cope, all hope is for Ruff and for Adams to make 2-3 good trades.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It just hints around at continuing to do the bare minimum at the minimum cost. Ruff could make an overarching difference regardless of any/all assts, but why didn't he bring even one outside guy on the staff? Beyond that it takes a guy out of Rochester that seemed to be doing a good job. Who replaces him? Putting Appert up is a decent indicator that he'll be the Ruff replacement, which again is a lazy approach to things.

It might not be the worst scenario playing out, but it is indeed the status quo approach...the same shit, different year.

Reactions: Fjordy

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm not sure our young D developed well under Wilford. There is no question for Bales, he should have stayed. I was expecting 1-2 assistants with NHL experience. Appert and Rochester haven't been as good this season as they were last season. Yes, he seems to know how to work with young forwards, but we are not in a development season and will have to fight for a place in the playoffs, I don’t know how they will cope, all hope is for Ruff and for Adams to make 2-3 good trades.
Jokiharju would probably disagree

This season he looked the best he has ever looked.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Power says hi, and I'm not big fan Jokiharju, he's had one decent season so far, otherwise no.
Power is still young and learning, Joki is coming into his prime and looks to have figured it out under Wilford. I wouldn't even begin to put judgement on Power yet.

Reactions: Dingo44

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Appert should be a great conduit for Lindy to connect with the young guys since he coached many of them.
If he can get Krebs to pull his head out of his ass I'll consider it a win.

To be honest I'm not even upset with bringing Appert up to the big club, maybe I even like it. I just wish they would have also brought in another coach with experience like Evason or someone.... Oh and show Matt Ellis the door.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
A fanbase versus a coach who we assumed who would be wielding some form of power when he was hired.

Maybe we were wrong in our assumption, maybe not. Guess we'll see, I certainly have no problem with the hiring.
It may have already been hashed out during the back and forth Ruff had with Adams before he agreed to the job. Then they just waited until the Amerks were eliminated before making announcements.

• Love
Reactions: Dex and BUCKSHOT

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
This forum is getting nearly unreadable. The pathologies on display are just mind-numbing.

We hired a successful AHL head coach to be the third man on our bench, who by all accounts is excellent at organization, professionalism, and relationships. And the same people who lost their minds when Appert's AHL assistants got poached are losing their minds in the opposite direction.

People are acting like we hired him to be the head coach. Or that there's some secret plan to make him the HC in a few years. If Lindy has any success here, he's not retiring for another 5+ years. If he fails, then he, Adams, and likely Appert are all looking for work.

Yes, it would be nice to have an experienced third AC on the bench, but that isn't going to make or break this season. Appert is completely capable of conveying Lindy's message and gameplan to our (yes, still) young forwards.

I beg of some of you, log off. It's the off-season of the off-season. Go to the cottage.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
This forum is getting nearly unreadable. The pathologies on display are just mind-numbing.

We hired a successful AHL head coach to be the third man on our bench, who by all accounts is excellent at organization, professionalism, and relationships. And the same people who lost their minds when Appert's AHL assistants got poached are losing their minds in the opposite direction.

People are acting like we hired him to be the head coach. Or that there's some secret plan to make him the HC in a few years. If Lindy has any success here, he's not retiring for another 5+ years. If he fails, then he, Adams, and likely Appert are all looking for work.

Yes, it would be nice to have an experienced third AC on the bench, but that isn't going to make or break this season. Appert is completely capable of conveying Lindy's message and gameplan to our (yes, still) young forwards.

I beg of some of you, log off. It's the off-season of the off-season. Go to the cottage.
Sadly its an emotional/reactionary world. I think Doug is trying to troll people for his TikTok.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009

Proposing a new rule where you can’t tell someone to touch grass if you write an essay about posts you don’t like

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Power is still young and learning, Joki is coming into his prime and looks to have figured it out under Wilford. I wouldn't even begin to put judgement on Power yet.
In any case, I am skeptical about this coaching staff

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
No joke. Ruff is another lackey.

Why would Ruff come back to be another lackey? He was already getting paid by NJ. I'm sure he feels he has some unfinished business and wants to bring his favorite team and city to glory but he wasn't going to take the job back if he was told he's just a pawn in Pegula's skinflint game or Adams' micromanagement or some other nonsense.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Bench or no bench. To me it’s odd to hire a new HC and basically retain the entire staff just reshuffled with no outside assistant.

I thought the best part of the Ruff hire was to pry the franchise from Terry/Kevyn. But this assistant coaching lineup is uninspiring.

I don’t know, maybe Lindy is bringing everybody in close to evaluate? Trying to be glass half full about it…
Ellis was a Pegula/Adams hire for the organization. The Ruff hire was in no way to pry it from Adams/Terry. Hell, Adams worked for Ruff.

This was a hire to go in another direction from Granato without needing to hire someone that could disrupt the structure of communication between coaching/ownership/management.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

from a month ago.

Lance isn’t confirming with his source that Ellis won’t be behind the bench. His source just says the coach will appoint someone to run the PP. Doesn’t clarify if it’s someone new.

Lance is assuming that on his own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad