Confirmed with Link: Sabres have promoted Seth Appert to assistant coach/Amir Gulati to video coordinator/Girardi let go

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I hope Pegula knows that no one is buying tickets to this shit show and he’s probably losing a ton of money being his version of being efficient.

Im not going to spend money on the Sabres if they aren’t going to spend any on themselves. Just pitiful

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think it was Peters and Rivet who talked about how Ellis might be better as an eye in the sky than a coach on the bench.

My biggest concern is that they do not have an assistant coach with experience coaching up a quality NHL PP.
Yeah, and this should be a concern. A huge one.

Another unforced error on a team with a history of nothing but unforced errors.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I hope Pegula knows that no one is buying tickets to this shit show and he’s probably losing a ton of money being his version of being efficient.

Im not going to spend money on the Sabres if they aren’t going to spend any on themselves. Just pitiful

Between revenue sharing, expansion/relocation fees, and the value of the Sabres 5x since he bought them, he certainly isn’t losing money in absolute terms.

I think he is leaving money on the table though. A little bit more spent on management/scouting/operations and he could have a lot more ticket revenue (and maybe even playoff ticket revenue).

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm somehow not too upset about any of this.

Show me what moves the roster has made to it, then I'll get angry/happy.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It's crazy the number of hot takes in here about assistant coaches, including completely invented speculation. Again, Ruff's been working with these guys since he got hired. You think he'd be OK with keeping someone he doesn't think can do the job? Like someone else mentioned, Granato was Ralph's assistant. The assistants carry out the head coach's game plan. Even last season with maybe the league's worst goaltending and a bunch of injuries the Devils had good metrics.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I can’t think of a time in history of the NHL that a coach is fired, a new coach comes in and retains the entire staff inside the organization. Not one new assistant from outside the organization.
I can't either. I'm pretty sure it's never happened. Sabres have to do everything different (worse) than everyone else.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It seems like most of the coaching candidates had term left over on their contract.

Should we have hired Q or Babcock to large salary to spend money?
The other coaches weren't going to take a salary cut on their contracts like Lindy did. The previous team only pays if his new salary is less. Berube ain't taking anything close to less...he's taking a raise.

Hi just so you’re aware according to the CBA the coach has to be offered around their market value when they’re signed.

There’s no such thing as “let’s sign Lindy for $1 then devils pay the rest.”.
No one is saying that's what's going on. He can take a half a million less, which would be picked up by NJ, compared to Berube and others wanting $1M+ more.

I mean this simply isn’t true. Our head scout was in tears last year because he was “finally under a GM who let them do their job.” His words.
He was in tears because of Kim Pegula. I can't believe you actually think that lol

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023
But why? I expected completely different assistants. What is Appert good at? And he doesn't have much experience. Adams looks like an idiot. Only Raff’s genius can save us, but even here I’m no longer sure that he will be able to do anything with all these weird assistans.

Are we going to have a f***ing development season again?

I don't get the Appert hype. He has been in the second or third tier amongst his peers at nearly every level he coached. Even his time with juniors he wasn't part of the junior worlds group, but the Hlinka Gretzky group. And USA hockey doesn't even consider that tournament part of their dev program anymore.

Granato was a much more exciting coaching prospect. He had had top level success compared to his peers at a few stops before taking over the big club.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The other coaches weren't going to take a salary cut on their contracts like Lindy did. The previous team only pays if his new salary is less. Berube ain't taking anything close to less...he's taking a raise.

No one is saying that's what's going on. He can take a half a million less, which would be picked up by NJ, compared to Berube and others wanting $1M+ more.

He was in tears because of Kim Pegula. I can't believe you actually think that lol

Forton was 100% in tears over how Adams changed the front office

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Lindy has been working with these guys watching film and breaking down plays and players since the day after he was hired. He's had time to make his own decisions on what he thinks and I'm sure Adams and the organization asked Lindy what he thought before deciding to keep them and add Appert. I'm sure Appert and Ruff have had conversations as well.

I'm curious to see if Vinny gets the HC job in Rochester.
Vinny would be an improvement from Appert IMO.

Don't use his breakout plan in the dzone.

Will listen on his PP though.
Wasn't his PP awful? Someone posted the numbers and they seems pretty awful...

Cannot attract Free Agents
Cannot get veterans to waive NTC's in trades
Now, Cannot attract assistant coaches...
None of it has ever been true. Just excuses from an inept owner and his inept cronies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Forton was 100% in tears over how Adams changed the front office
No he wasn't -- that's an insane theory.

Only on HF do people think that people cry from happiness when Boterill left. It's the craziest theory I've ever heard on here.

I don't get the Appert hype. He has been in the second or third tier amongst his peers at nearly every level he coached. Even his time with juniors he wasn't part of the junior worlds group, but the Hlinka Gretzky group. And USA hockey doesn't even consider that tournament part of their dev program anymore.

Granato was a much more exciting coaching prospect. He had had top level success compared to his peers at a few stops before taking over the big club.
I'm not sure there is any Appert hype -- I've never heard a single person say he deserves this job or role, or that he'd be a good NHL coach.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
A. No one is saying that's what's going on. He can take a half a million less, which would be picked up by NJ, compared to Berube and others wanting $1M+ more.

B. He was in tears because of Kim Pegula. I can't believe you actually think that lol
A. the original post literally said in response that the Sabres would argue that Lindy has negative value and aren’t paying a dime. So yeah.

B. Ok sounds good man.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Appert should be a great conduit for Lindy to connect with the young guys since he coached many of them.
Are you sure he coached "many" of them? I don't count that many.

And I can find coaches all over the continent who has coached a few of these guys. That's not a good reason to hire an assistant coach.

None of the assistant coaches in the playoffs right now were chosen because of familiarity of 3 or 4 players on the team when they were younger. That's a bad vetting process, bad criteria. All other teams prefer experience winning at the NHL level, not experience with development.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Hi just so you’re aware according to the CBA the coach has to be offered around their market value when they’re signed.

There’s no such thing as “let’s sign Lindy for $1 then devils pay the rest.”.
Why would an agreement between the NHLPA and the league, neither of which groups includes NHL coaches, have anything whatsoever to say about NHL coaching contracts? The coaches are not unionized, and especially do not belong to the NHLPA, and are absolutely 100% not party to the CBA.

Friedman whose job it is to know the CBA inside and out is lying and the comment he heard from a friend of a friend of a friend who is definitely a part of the Sabres accounting team and is telling everyone that Terry is cheap (most likely has to sign an NDA to do his job) is right.
That is not Friedman's job at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad