TBN: Sabres goalie prospect Jonas Johansson exceeding expectations with Amerks

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres goalie prospect Jonas Johansson exceeding expectations with Amerks

Goalie Jonas Johansson, 24, has quietly developed into a strong prospect, starting eight of the Rochester Americans’ first 18 games this season.

The affable Johansson has performed so well, he has stolen a little playing time from veteran Andrew Hammond.

Right now, the Amerks don’t have a designated No. 1 goalie.

“It is hard to say a No. 1 or 2 or 1A, 1B,” said assistant coach Gord Dineen, who served as interim coach for seven weeks. “The good thing I love to see is that Jonas is really getting an opportunity at the American League level, and he’s made the most of it.”

In 10 total appearances, he has compiled a 5-2-2 record with a 2.35 goals-against average and a .916 save percentage.

It will be interesting to see what they do when UPL gets promoted to the Amerks. The article also mentions how well Casey Nelson has been playing.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
How good is this kid? 14 games played, 1.92 GAA .935 save. He's 24, goalies start to find their own around 24-28.

Goaltending is the hardest to adjust and rookie goaltenders are particularly difficult to transition, especially while Johansson is relatively young. But you can't help but wonder if Johansson's .935 in the AHL would translate to a better save % than Hutton's .894 in the NHL
What would he need to accomplish to deserve a call-up? If anything just to taste NHL action?

We can't afford to lose games because of goaltending. I want the best roster possible without emotion playing any role.

I've not seen him play basically ever outside of maybe an odd pre-season game, but does anyone watch him in Rochester or has seen him play recently? Is he legit?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
How good is this kid? 14 games played, 1.92 GAA .935 save. He's 24, goalies start to find their own around 24-28.

Goaltending is the hardest to adjust and rookie goaltenders are particularly difficult to transition, especially while Johansson is relatively young. But you can't help but wonder if Johansson's .935 in the AHL would translate to a better save % than Hutton's .894 in the NHL
What would he need to accomplish to deserve a call-up? If anything just to taste NHL action?

We can't afford to lose games because of goaltending. I want the best roster possible without emotion playing any role.

I've not seen him play basically ever outside of maybe an odd pre-season game, but does anyone watch him in Rochester or has seen him play recently? Is he legit?

Often, goalies have a higher SP in the NHL than the AHL

Which is why I said give him a chance over Hutton. Who knows, he could actually be a solid NHL goalie. If so, then we have a great trade chip in 6K (yes, to get something, you have to give up something good, best to do so in a position where we have strength).

If he is not an NHL goalie, then slide 6K in in a year or two

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
From a development viewpoint, I wouldn't mind seeing Jonas get a few games just to give him a feel for the difference and help him understand what he needs to focus on most. I do not think that replacing Hutton with him is the best choice at the moment. If I could move Hutton somehow I would prefer to have Hammond move up as he has had some success in the NHL before. I would then ride Ullmark in Buffalo and Jonas in Rochester for the year with the goal of Jonas becoming the Sabres backup next year. That said, you never know when they might be ready till you try them a bit.

I like Hutton as a person, but feel he is the wrong compliment to Ullmark. They have very different playstyles and that affects how the defense plays in from of them. I want both goaltenders to play similarly so that the team has no adjustment at all. Jonas is a big positional goaltender like Ullmark and IMO would make the best backup in the future. I just don't want to force it like we have done with other players railroading their proper development path for short term fixes. I also don't know how you get Hutton out of the way with him playing so bad right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad