News Article: Sabres get a Canadian television deal

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What do we do for the other 31 games? That means thats 20ish games will be blacked out. Other than that great idea

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I noticed this channel on Bell Expressvu and wondered what the viewing area was. I am surprised it doesn`t go up to Hamilton

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's about damn time. 20 years is too long to not have a broadcasting presence in So. Ontario. Now if the product wasn't so damn bad...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
only saturday games are blacked out, my guess is because Hockey Night in Canada, you can also get a pretty decent steam for the blacked out games so it's not a huge deal, ill take 50 MSG HD broadcasts + 16 National Broadcasts over 82 away team broadcasts where a handful of games are not in HD.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It's about time. Kudos to Ted B.

It's crazy to think they weren't on TV just across the bridge. My parents are 2 hours east of Buffalo and they get MSG/Sabres. Of course it wasn't always like that, when I was in high school/college I had to endure devils, islander and flyers games (SportsChannel ?)

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
What do we do for the other 31 games? That means thats 20ish games will be blacked out. Other than that great idea
16 of them are on CBC, TSN, and TSN2
Actually it's 18 games that are on those networks:
11 on TSN2, 7 on TSN, and 2 on HNIC.

There are 3 games on NHL Network Canada and you can add 4 more national games that are on RDS in french. There are 5 but one of those games is on HNIC already. http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm?season=20132014&gameType=2&team=BUF&network=RDS&venue=

So, that leaves just 6 to 13 games to be seen on Centre Ice.

Last edited:

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
only saturday games are blacked out, my guess is because Hockey Night in Canada, you can also get a pretty decent steam for the blacked out games so it's not a huge deal, ill take 50 MSG HD broadcasts + 16 National Broadcasts over 82 away team broadcasts where a handful of games are not in HD.
The Sabres games on TSN and TSN2 will be blacked out and possibly the RDS and NHL Network Canada games.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sabres strike deal to be on Canadian TV

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres...to-appear-on-canadian-television.html?ref=bmh

The organization has been trying for years to get its games carried in Canada. This morning, the Sabres and Bell TV announced 50 games this season will be carried on Bell Fibe and Satellite TV services in homes from Fort Erie/Niagara Falls to Stoney Creek in Southern Ontario.

“This is a momentous day for our organization and, more importantly, the thousands of Sabres fans in Southern Ontario,†Sabres President Ted Black said. “We have been aware of the very large number of Sabres fans in Southern Ontario for quite some time and, until now, they have been able to see only a very small percentage of Sabres television broadcasts despite being geographically closer to us than Rochester.

"We are very proud of getting this done for our fans and we’re thankful to Bell TV and MSG for all the hard work that went into the negotiations.â€

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Very good news for Buffalo's Southern Ontario fans.

(There's a thread a bit down the page on this).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad