Sabres fire Don Granato, hire Lindy Ruff as head coach

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
My bet is Lindy coming back for a reunion

Holy shit… posted at the exact same time
You 2 nailed it
Firing the coaches instead of getting a goalie, bold move Cotton.
UPL played fine. Check his stats. GAA and SV% are right there with Swayman/Ullmark/both Rangers goalies. On a much worse defensive team as well. He had a great year. The offensive output this year took a step backwards.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
People here don't see the big picture. The moment time travel is invented and they can go back to the late 90s, Lindy Ruff will be probably the best most innovative coach in the league. All your fancy coaches won't even know how to use a phone book, let alone send out the 4th line goons for the 20th time in a period somehow.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
All the Sabres need with this group of players is a coach willing to bag skate them.

giphy.gif

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The only thing more perplexing than the hire itself, is that some Sabres fans actually seem to be on board with the hire.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Who would you have picked instead?
Berube, Woodcroft for an example.

I get why they don't want to hire another rookie coach after Granato, but this just seems like an uninspiring choice. Well, at least they know what they are going to get.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
yay nostalgic old fart, this will surely be the saviour of the worst (run) franchise of the cap era

ijuka

May 14, 2016

I get why they don't want to hire another rookie coach after Granato, but this just seems like an uninspiring choice. Well, at least they know what they are going to get.
Woodcroft is again unproven, which IMO isn't what they're looking for. Berube, okay. Although Lindy Ruff, I think, was good with both Devils and Stars, so I'm not sure what the issue with him would be.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
I remain largely reserved about the hire. He brought a lot of success to this franchise, but I remember a lot of his negative qualities as well (he certainly has his favorites, and those a group of non complaint players into submission). I expect Jordan Greenway and Zach Benson will be among TOI leaders among forwards next year.

He should help certain players with their habits (he could be critical in righting the ship for Dylan Cozens, and getting the most out of Tuch). He will banish Jeff Skinner, and I think we may see Owen Power leave the arena in a 6'6" body bag. Of the current choices (Gallant, Boudreau, Berube, and Ruff), Ruff and Berube made the most sense. I would have reservations about either one, so going with the guy who knows the GM, owner, and is passionate about Buffalo makes sense.

Reactions: thrillhous

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
People here don't see the big picture. The moment time travel is invented and they can go back to the late 90s, Lindy Ruff will be probably the best most innovative coach in the league. All your fancy coaches won't even know how to use a phone book, let alone send out the 4th line goons for the 20th time in a period somehow.

What if time travel has already been invented and this is all just a loop?

I'm still ambivalent about this. He ticked some boxes, he has some warts, there is both the momentary pleasure of nostalgia at the same time the exploitation of it for the foolish owner's gain.

At the end of it though, I need to see who his assistants are and what if anything the ultra conservative GM actually does. In the meantime, he's just another recycled coach in a league that recycles coaches like they actually believe their own recycling PSA's.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Probably the most sought after coach available, they might have asked him and he said no

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Woodcroft is again unproven, which IMO isn't what they're looking for. Berube, okay. Although Lindy Ruff, I think, was good with both Devils and Stars, so I'm not sure what the issue with him would be.

The issue is that Lindy Ruff has made the playoffs in just 3 of his last 10 seasons as an NHL head coach.

Those Buffalo, Dallas and NJ teams had plenty of talent.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
The issue is that Lindy Ruff has made the playoffs in just 3 of his last 10 seasons as an NHL head coach.

Those Buffalo, Dallas and NJ teams had plenty of talent.
And he's only made the post-season in 7 out of 19 seasons without Dominek Hasek as his starting goalie.

I am not worried about him hanging around for another 17 year stint, I am just worried they will be hitting the reset button yet again, in 2 seasons.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Think teams would start looking outside the old guard.
The 3 longest tenured coaches in the league were "inexperienced" at the NHL level compared to most of these retreads.
(Sullivan did have a previous HC gig).

Reactions: randywoodsghost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad