Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
1713276317398.png

AND NO HIRES FROM WITHIN!!!

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Fish rots from the head. I'm old enough to remember when Bylsma was just what they needed w/ Cup experience... until he was the worst coach in the league.

And then when Housley was going to be great because he liked to activate the D. Until he became the worst coach in the league.

And when Kruger's professional experience was just what they needed. Until he was the worst coach in the league.

And when Granato was "Donny Meatballs" and just what they needed. Until he was the worst coach in the league.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This thread is already fascinating

Jokes about Buffalo firing another coach already…when he was the sixth longest tenured coach in the league.

Jokes about goaltending…when UPL had a fantastic season.

can’t wait to see where we go next
So not the goaltender and not the coaching. What is the issue then? IMO it’s the key core guys. The top minute guys need to commit to playing winning hockey. It’s fun to win but it’s not so much fun for some guys to play the way needed to win. Maybe the Sabres have too many of those players types of guys in their core?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
So not the goaltender and not the coaching. What is the issue then? IMO it’s the key core guys. The top minute guys need to commit to playing winning hockey. It’s fun to win but it’s not so much fun for some guys to play the way needed to win. Maybe the Sabres have too many of those players types of guys in their core?

No one is saying it wasn't (at least in part) the coaching. Just the joke about how often the Sabres fire coaches doesn't really work when almost every team in the league has fired their coach more recently than the Sabres.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Buffalo needs a coaching carousel reality show. 16 coaches to start the year with one getting eliminated every week until a winner is declared. Casting for the next season begins when the Sabres are inevitably eliminated from playoff contention.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Honestly, Babcock without the baggage is EXACTLY what a team needs to turn the ship around. But he is psycho, or a sociopath, so that sucks.
Plus he screwed Terry over on the way to getting a better deal out of Toronto, even without the baggage he would never get another chance to do so.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Ruff would be a nostalgia pick and the wrong choice.

They should look at guys like Berube and Gallant.
I think Lindy's success at NJ was down to Brunette hence when he left the Devil's were awful although goalie issues didn't help.

Berube and Gallant should be favorites. Woodcraft I would be skeptical of as he had McDavid perhaps really calling the shots.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think Lindy's success at NJ was down to Brunette hence when he left the Devil's were awful although goalie issues didn't help.

Berube and Gallant should be favorites. Woodcraft I would be skeptical of as he had McDavid perhaps really calling the shots.

Sullivan would be the favorite if the pens do what they should do and fire him.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I don't really think a pure vibes coach like Gallant is a good answer here. Also not sure if Berube fits a team this run and gun, but he's definitely a better option than Gallant.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Not sure if, when you fire your coach, he gets a new job immediately, means you should be doing that.

Sullivan sucks. The league is still enamored by him though. Perfect time.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Probably a stupid question, but why don't they just hire an out of work coach who has a long history of success? I can't remember the list of their last 10 coaches but I don't think any of them were really truly established, no?

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
From someone who watched every game this season - Adams definitely made mistakes on the roster, but much of the failures lies with Granato's coaching and tactics.

In December on his weekly radio call in he was still stressing about not overwhelming a roster this young with video and strategy and often it will cause young players to play with deer in headlights moments. There was legitimate issues with players placement on ice, where to pressure etc. The Sabres needed a coach to stress tactics and strategy to supplement the potent offense which was shown last season. But teams had an entire off-season to prep and our coach stresses how he did not believing in preparation.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Probably a stupid question, but why don't they just hire an out of work coach who has a long history of success? I can't remember the list of their last 10 coaches but I don't think any of them were really truly established, no?

Well, Bylsma was supposed to be that, and he was a dumpster fire. But I agree with the general premise that we (fans at least) want someone who understands how to win at the NHL level. Granato was us finally stumbling onto a solid developmental coach. Now we need to take the next step.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
No one is saying it wasn't (at least in part) the coaching. Just the joke about how often the Sabres fire coaches doesn't really work when almost every team in the league has fired their coach more recently than the Sabres.
That's a bit of a cherrypicked way to say it. Nobody said "Boy, BUF fired this coach fast." You are leaving out how many coaches have been fired in a span of say 8 or 9 years.

Has almost every team in the league gone through more than 6 coaches in 11 years?

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
Last 10?

Don Granato
Ralph Krueger
Phil Housley
Dan Bylsma
Ted Nolan
Ron Rolston
Lindy Ruff
Ted Nolan
John Muckler
Rick Dudley

At this point we're at 1988. Lindy was with the team for 15 years. Bylsma had a cup as a HC.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Well, Babcock is a crazy person and a PR disaster, Lindy would be a retread nostalgia hire, I honestly don’t have a good answer for why we haven’t already hired Bruce Boudreau three times now tbh, and most all of the others that fit the bill already have jobs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad