Post-Game Talk: Sabres def. Canucks - 5-2 (Horvat, Dowling)

Point Spread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah, it's strange. People are acting like we're off to a good start when we haven't won a game outright yet despite not facing a quality team.

Did you see this team last year? The bar is low. ;)

Plus they've averaged 40 shots the last two games and could have won all 3. Lots of dangerous chances. Most games like the one vs. Detroit they'd win.

Given all the negativity around the defense, and that they've looked halfway decent - I'd say its been a good start.

And yes, they need to get better against the better teams. The trajectory needs to keep rising, but no guarantee it will.

Reactions: The Poacher

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Did you see this team last year? The bar is low. ;)

Plus they've averaged 40 shots the last two games and could have won all 3. Lots of dangerous chances. Most games like the one vs. Detroit they'd win.

Given all the negativity around the defense, and that they've looked halfway decent - I'd say its been a good start.

And yes, they need to get better against the better teams. The trajectory needs to keep rising, but no guarantee it will.

I agree there have been some positives, but like MS when I saw the schedule before the season started I expected a hot start. If they lose this game and we're looking at 0 regulation wins through 4, that would actually be quite poor IMO. We should absolutely win this one, of course.

I have a high bar because they've tossed away 2 first round picks and I expect them to win the division this year to justify it.

EDIT: I should add, it's nothing to worry about yet, of course. I am just surprised a bit by the reaction to what has been in my view 3 quite poor games against bad teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Poacher

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
my favorite thing about this is Demko getting the puck and playing it up to Myers for a goal within 9 seconds. Now that I want to see
I found one for you buddy:
A118F45A-82A5-4BCB-855C-4503687BEEE0.png

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. Out of every 10 game stretch this is the 2nd fewest in amount of playoff teams last year with 3. There is one in December with 2. The most difficult one is in January with 9.

Overall with have a much easier first half schedule than 2nd half. 17 games vs a playoff team last year vs 25 in the last half. We most likely will have to be well within a playoff spot halfway through the season if we want to make the playoffs.

Absolutely.

The first 13 games are about as easy as it gets, and going 9-4 or something like that should be totally realistic. And you need to, because going 6-10 in the 16 games after that (12 playoff teams plus the non-playoff teams like LA/Ottawa look vastly improved) is also totally realistic.

If we stumble through this easy first 13 games and then get hammered in that tough segment, the season could be virtually over by mid-December.

I agree there have been some positives, but like MS when I saw the schedule before the season started I expected a hot start. If they lose this game and we're looking at 0 regulation wins through 4, that would actually be quite poor IMO. We should absolutely win this one, of course.

I have a high bar because they've tossed away 2 first round picks and I expect them to win the division this year to justify it.

EDIT: I should add, it's nothing to worry about yet, of course. I am just surprised a bit by the reaction to what has been in my view 3 quite poor games against bad teams.

Yeah, I've been a bit perplexed by the reactions to the games as well. There have been some positives but it hasn't been very good.

You'd think we destroyed Detroit by the comments here but we were very poor against a very bad team for the first 40 minutes and then had a big score-effects charge chasing the tying goal in the 3rd as they sat on the lead.

And no, nothing really to worry about yet. But you really have to be Buffalo tonight.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

Oh sure, we should be contending by now (don't get me started) but then I'd work myself up into another JB/FA induced proper rage and wouldn't enjoy any of the games.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Absolutely.

The first 13 games are about as easy as it gets, and going 9-4 or something like that should be totally realistic. And you need to, because going 6-10 in the 16 games after that (12 playoff teams plus the non-playoff teams like LA/Ottawa look vastly improved) is also totally realistic.

If we stumble through this easy first 13 games and then get hammered in that tough segment, the season could be virtually over by mid-December.

Yeah, I've been a bit perplexed by the reactions to the games as well. There have been some positives but it hasn't been very good.

You'd think we destroyed Detroit by the comments here but we were very poor against a very bad team for the first 40 minutes and then had a big score-effects charge chasing the tying goal in the 3rd as they sat on the lead.

And no, nothing really to worry about yet. But you really have to be Buffalo tonight.

Exactly. I've seen a team that mostly struggled to score against two very bad defenses in Edmonton and Detroit, and was given a gift against Philly that they couldn't hold onto. We've had much better starts actually throughout several of the last 7 years. This game against Buffalo is hardly "must-win" but you'd like to see them pound them into the ground and if it's another OT/SO game .... yeesh.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

We're 0-1-2 in regulation.

We were mostly outplayed by Edmonton through 40 minutes and then had a score-effects lead chase.
We were basically even with a terrible Detroit team through 40 minutes and then had a score-effects lead chase.
We were destroyed in the first period by a bad Philly team, had their goalie gift us a lead, and then managed to blow that lead late.

Special teams have been very, very bad.

There have been some individual positives (OEL in particular, Garland was very good in the last game) but the team has not played terribly well through 3 games, 2 of them against poor opposition.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
At this point can literally anything the Canucks say be taken seriously? Maintenance Day, they just lie right to our faces.

Pettersson has just a minor wrist injury. Nothing to be concerned with. Hamonic will be at training camp soon. Sutter is tired.

I have no idea what the team/coach thinks they are accomplishing by withholding injury info.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
At this point can literally anything the Canucks say be taken seriously? Maintenance Day, they just lie right to our faces.

Fans in 1950 had better information about injury situations with players than fans do in 2021. It's just a total joke league-wide, but we're one of the worst offenders.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This game is on the road so would be a miracle if they overcome the adversity and pull out a win

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Every year it seems a bottom feeder or 2 start off hot only to cool off by game 20 and fall back in line. Buffalo is 2 and 0 so far this season. Philadelphia is 1-0-1, Edmonton is 2 and 0 and finally Detroit who is 1-0-1. Not a single regulation loss out of the group. Adding to the noted fact that we have a 6 game roadie to start the year that spans the continent. Not saying the results are great. I think they are poor in fact. But it is not because the team has been getting run out of the building. Good effort, poor result. Does not make them a bad team.

This attempt to continue to draw only negatives from every situation is becoming cult like. Just like the page 1 conversation about Petan. Why would a team play him 20 minutes a night in preseason only to cut him. Can you really not figure that one out? Is it really a big mystery? Or has your pessimism completely clouded your ability to be rational. How about this. The team wanted to see what they had in Petan. They gave him every possible opportunity to display his goods. He came up short so they cut him. Shocker! But nooo... No reasonable explanation! You guys are trying way too hard. There will be plenty of legitimate reasons for criticism. Stop making sheet up to support your obvious agendas.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
This attempt to continue to draw only negatives from every situation is becoming cult like. Just like the page 1 conversation about Petan. Why would a team play him 20 minutes a night in preseason only to cut him. Can you really not figure that one out? Is it really a big mystery? Or has your pessimism completely clouded your ability to be rational. How about this. The team wanted to see what they had in Petan. They gave him every possible opportunity to display his goods. He came up short so they cut him. Shocker! But nooo... No reasonable explanation! You guys are trying way too hard. There will be plenty of legitimate reasons for criticism. Stop making sheet up to support your obvious agendas.
Excellent post. Thank you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad