GDT: Sabres @ Capitals 7:00

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Trotz knows. I guess you agree that we didn't have enough traffic now.

I do agree that we need more traffic. didn't say anything otherwise. that doesn't mean that the 44 shots were a bad thing.

Since I am taking flak for saying that 20 and 43 need to stay in the top 6 and that the problem with the top 2 lines isn't a lack of skill. its just that. a lack of net presence. is 92 going to increase the traffic infront of the net?

anyone?

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
i knew it. The second I looked at this thread as game time was fast approaching and homer fans around here are like predicting 4-1 and hoping for a blowout.

I said to myself right then and there... Caps are going to lose to Buffalo.

Ha ha nice try. Doesn't count when you post it late. Like after the game late.

Halpysback*

The problem tonight was they scored one goal on the Buffalo ****ing Sabres. There are many ways to address that. "Traffic in front of the net" is just one tired cliche that gets thrown out over and over and over because it's easy to digest and plays along with the work harderp mantra. Believe it or not there are other ways to create scoring, such as having more skilled plays go somewhere and not die because of a weak link.

And if we stick to the whole traffic in front of the net is the only way mantra, then it makes all the more sense to take off the worst net presence on the 2nd line (Brouwer) and replace him with someone else.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
And is anyone else tired of seeing Carlson standing there with his thumb up his ass on just about every goal?

The ****ing Sabres.. At home no less.. lol

And Chimmer, too! Go back and watch 2nd Sabres goal again. 25 was right there w/ 74, thumb-in-ass-wise.

Their goalie outplayed ours.

Not that Holtby allowed softies exactly. But he certainly didn't play them perfectly either, especially the end board sequence.

We did get a million shots. Some were good chances, too, like the Ovie post-clank. Unfortunately, only one of ours found the back of the net, whereas the Sabres, even on their very limited chances, cashed in.

Certainly isn't the first time in Caps history we've seen that. It was burned into all our minds forever during Montreal series.

Annoying the next game isn't till Wednesday. Losing to Sabres at home doesn't leave a pleasant taste in mouth heading into 4-day break.

I do think it's alarming we've scored only 7 goals in last 5 games. Offense definitely in a major funk. I do think we'd earn more PP if we played w/ more urgency and desperation. Tonight, even as we generated 40+ shots, there were only a few moments of real flurries or swarming. We played a patient, disciplined game, but Lines 2 and 3 didn't look super-hungry around the net. Line 1 played hard and was trying to jam one home. They probably deserved a goal for their effort level and their number of chances tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
ok...the problem tonight was creating traffic infront of the net. which one of these guys is going to do that?

While getting traffic to the net is one of the ways to increase more quality scoring chances I think we can all agree it isn't the only way. If you check my post I mention several things that create quality scoring chances(as opposed to just tossing everything at the net). Getting the goaltender moving, getting the puck up, and one I didn't mention, odd man rushes. Traffic to the net and deflections shouldn't be your only quality scoring options unless you're lacking the talent to do it any other way. Grinding and the cycle isn't everything and not everybody can do it effectively. I don't drive my 2012 Audi the same way I drive my 1998 F-150. Different strokes for different folks. I don't think you can make all your lines the same and for very good reason. You become extremely predictable as a team.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Loved what Laich said about Ribiero on the radio this past week. "He couldn't lift the bar that holds the weights but mentally he can be one of the best along with his shiftiness"

Not every player on this team needs to be a grinder. Looking at you here Brouwer. Earn your top six spot with some goals...or even just not giving it away.

Brouwer scored a lot more when he was paired with Rebeiro. No Ribeiro and no goals. :(

Laich is right about Rebeiro's shiftiness. He was one of our best # 2 c's.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Brouwer scored a lot more when he was paired with Rebeiro. No Ribeiro and no goals. :(

Laich is right about Rebeiro's shiftiness. He was one of our best # 2 c's.

Would have loved to have him back but after the comments he made on Ovechkin and the franchise (albeit completely honest, potentially real cause the truth hurts) I doubt Leonsis and crew would have allowed it. But man... he's almost a PPG with a three year contract making 1mil per. Ouch.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Would have loved to have him back but after the comments he made on Ovechkin and the franchise (albeit completely honest, potentially real cause the truth hurts) I doubt Leonsis and crew would have allowed it. But man... he's almost a PPG with a three year contract making 1mil per. Ouch.

I could not find this negative comment you mention.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Please get rid of Laich and Holtby. Seriously Laich's toxic influence is spreading.

Loser Holtby ***** away a game than says Buffalo isn't a gimme.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Went to the game last night with my 8 year old daughter for her first Sabres game. Everyone treated us very well. Stopping by to say thanks for the great fans you have.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Please get rid of Laich and Holtby. Seriously Laich's toxic influence is spreading.

Loser Holtby ***** away a game than says Buffalo isn't a gimme.

Don't know if serious?... And if you are... 70 was not at fault last night by even the furthest stretch of the imagination. Don't think anyone in this thread saw it that way either except one briefly angry poster.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Went to the game last night with my 8 year old daughter for her first Sabres game. Everyone treated us very well. Stopping by to say thanks for the great fans you have.

Glad you had a good time. I recall being that age in my OWN arena (U.S. air) and a Penguin tailgater trying to rip my Bondra Jersey off after a game and my father getting into it with them in the parking lot... Thankful we've taken our home ice back since those days and have become a fairly classy place to go.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Ok Holtby deserved some **** earlier in season but has not the past few games. That's ridiculous, he's been solid. Our issue is putting the puck in the net period.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I do agree that we need more traffic. didn't say anything otherwise. that doesn't mean that the 44 shots were a bad thing.

Since I am taking flak for saying that 20 and 43 need to stay in the top 6 and that the problem with the top 2 lines isn't a lack of skill. its just that. a lack of net presence. is 92 going to increase the traffic infront of the net?

anyone?

You don't have to be a Knuble or Avery standing in front of the goaltender waiting to create a deflection to provide presence/traffic around the net, force/funnel play that direction and GO to the high scoring areas looking for rebounds. ANY player can do that.

Trotz:

We threw 77 pucks roughly to the net.but we need to have a little more net presence,'' Capitals coach Barry Trotz said. ''When a goaltender's good and seeing the puck, then you've got to try and make him not see the puck. Need a little more traffic, need second efforts.''

Screens and rebounds both. The Caps have been a team where everyone, even the "grinders" try to play a cycle game for a bit and then maybe get some kind of drive-by shot off. Few guys want to go to the net and crash hard, or fight for rebounds. The forwards don't all have to park it there, but they should almost always end up there.

And it seems to me Trotz's system will not work without that kind of funneling of effort and presence toward the net. Ovechkin, Backstrom, Mojo, Kuz, Bura...all those guys are perfectly capable of getting close and hawking rebounds or passes. But instead everyone wants a one-timer or a clear lane to skate to the high slot. Those aren't bad, but your offense is one-dimensional and the goalie can front you pretty easily if that's all you do.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I think Buffalo wanted it more...

That to me is the problem. Seems like every team no matter how we play wants it more. Regular season, playoffs, whatever. We don't seem to have that on ice leader that sets an example and leads with motivation. Nicki is quiet, Ovie is not vocal, ect.. Think about it. When was the last time you saw a post game interview and saw a cap upset. When was the last time you saw a cap yelling at a ref, or the opposing bench.

I think our problem over the last few year (aside from oates) is we have a group of decently talented players. We don't have a team.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Don't panic.
I'm not panicking and I'm being serious, I think Ward would flourish on the second line a lot more than Brouwer has. He's a better player all-around, a monster along the boards and won't kill the cycle, he's a good role player that knows his place on whatever line he plays on, and his shot is every bit as good if not better than Brouwer's. Haven't seen anything in Brouwer's play to indicate that he's untouchable in that 2RW slot and if it doesn't work just put the old lines back together. Low-risk, medium-reward move if you ask me.
When was the last time you saw a cap yelling at a ref, or the opposing bench.
Last night when Weber or whoever gave Bura a cheap shot on the way to the bench?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00