TBN: Sabres assistant coach possibilities from Rolston's past include Housley/Blashill

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
You can scratch Housley off the list of potential assistants, as he was named Nashville Predators assistant coach today:
“Phil brings a unique skill set to our coaching staff,” Poile said. “He was one of the most talented offensive defensemen to play in the NHL, and he has worked extensively with young players during his coaching career. He will continue to focus his efforts on our young defensemen and assisting on the power play.”
“A coach with history as a defenseman who was offensively gifted and excelled on the power play is something we have never had on our coaching staff,” Predators Head Coach Barry Trotz said. “His insight and viewpoint will bring a fresh perspective to our team.”

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Friedman speculating on Mark Morris as a possible hire in this week's 30 Thoughts:
7. I wonder if one of Ron Rolston's assistants in Buffalo will be Mark Morris, head coach of the AHL Manchester Monarchs. Morris hired Rolston as his assistant back in 1996 at Clarkson. Lately, Morris has done a great job with the Los Angeles Kings' AHL prospects.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Another name for the coaching tree .. UAH head coach Kurt Kleinendorst resigned today, saying his "passion is for pro hockey." His ties to Rolston are from the the USNTDP where he coached the U18s in 2009-10 while Rolston coached the U17s. The next year he went on to win a Calder Cup coaching Bingo in 2010-11 and coached against Rolston in Rochester in 2011-12 (Rolston was 6-1-1 H2H). Prior to the USNTDP, Kleinendorst was with the NJD for nine seasons (assistant, scout, AHL head coach).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Stars will interview Grand Rapids Griffins coach Jeff Blashill soon after AHL Finals are over. Syracuse beat GR 5-2 tonight, GM6 is Tuesday.

Link: https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/346083166483779584

Makes sense for Blashill. As GR advanced further in the AHL playoffs, I found it increasingly unlikely that Blashill would leave his post to become an assistant to a guy who accomplished little at the AHL level. Also, it seems as if the quicker route to being an NHL coach is being an AHL coach--NHL assistants seem to be getting overlooked. Can't see why Blashill would want to make the lateral (or backwards) move given where his stock is right now.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Friedman speculating on Mark Morris as a possible hire in this week's 30 Thoughts:

Another name for the coaching tree .. UAH head coach Kurt Kleinendorst resigned today, saying his "passion is for pro hockey." His ties to Rolston are from the the USNTDP where he coached the U18s in 2009-10 while Rolston coached the U17s. The next year he went on to win a Calder Cup coaching Bingo in 2010-11 and coached against Rolston in Rochester in 2011-12 (Rolston was 6-1-1 H2H). Prior to the USNTDP, Kleinendorst was with the NJD for nine seasons (assistant, scout, AHL head coach).

I like Kleinendorst as well. He was a strong young mind in the Devils' organization.
In his latest 30 thoughts, Friedman updates our assistant-watch, as he thinks Morris will stay in the AHL with Kleinendorst as a new possibility:
29. I mentioned a few weeks ago that Buffalo might be interested in Manchester Monarchs head coach Mark Morris for an assistant's job since he and Sabres head coach Ron Rolston have a connection. It appears Morris will stay in the AHL, so here's another possibility: Kurt Kleinendorst. He led the Binghamton Senators to the 2011 Calder Cup and just resigned as head coach at the University of Alabama-Huntsville.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Not that the assistant coaching positions are a high priority or concern compared to draft and roster decisions but it is just humorous IMO how often the Sabres tend to contradict their public statements.

When the season ended, Regier said he'd need time to evaluate coaching prospects and needed time to assess Rolston - only to announce his hiring shortly thereafter and admit he didn't interview anyone else.

Upon his hiring, Rolston indicated that he expected to have his staff hired in a week - yet we're approaching two months after the fact with no announced hirings.

:rolleyes:

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Not that the assistant coaching positions are a high priority or concern compared to draft and roster decisions but it is just humorous IMO how often the Sabres tend to contradict their public statements.

When the season ended, Regier said he'd need time to evaluate coaching prospects and needed time to assess Rolston - only to announce his hiring shortly thereafter and admit he didn't interview anyone else.

Upon his hiring, Rolston indicated that he expected to have his staff hired in a week - yet we're approaching two months after the fact with no announced hirings.

:rolleyes:

No kiddin'. They really do need to tighten up that aspect of their PR. Makes them come across as not credible.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Paul Hamilton‏@pham17177m
Sabres assistant coach process is ongoing with candidates still coming in.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I wouldn't count on Blashill going anywhere for an assistant job. He had the option of remaining an assistant with Detroit but instead opted to take the head coaching job with the Griffins. It's unlikely he'll jet over to Buffalo unless it's for the head coaching gig, and that's obviously not going to happen.

If he stays with GR and continues to improve, he'll likely be Babcock's successor.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC 19m
#Sabres GM Darcy Regier said head coach Ron Rolston continuing interview process to find assistant(s). Chadd Cassidy still in mix for Buf.

Link: https://twitter.com/kevinoDandC/status/347785922131161088

Call me crazy, but I think I'd rather see Cassidy in Rochester instead of Buffalo. Strikes me that he did a good job with a completely screwed over Amerks squad, and I'd like to see how he does with a full season of developing our young guys.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I think I'd rather see Cassidy in Rochester instead of Buffalo. Strikes me that he did a good job with a completely screwed over Amerks squad, and I'd like to see how he does with a full season of developing our young guys.
He ran a solid PP although that may have been Taylor's position. Cassidy is a good dude, just does not have a strong resume with previous experiences which does not always mean anything though.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I thought Cassidy did a credible job. Of course there are some mouth-breathers that think that he was not the "right kind of personality".

I wouldn't mind seeing him in either place, but with the developmental strengths, perhaps Rochester is the better fit right now.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If Cassidy got a gig in Buffalo, I hope that Rolston gets someone with NHL coaching experience to round off the staff (Teppo doesn't really count in that regard). The idea of having a pretty much all-green staff isn't very enticing.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Mo has been a head coach forever. I don't know how he'd work as an assistant.
I think that's the problem Rolston ran into, as the two head coaches he wanted to join his staff wouldn't leave those positions (at this time) to become assistants.

Regier said: "Ron is continuing to work on it, interview, had a couple of candidates in Monday and Tuesday, and is really doing the work to get the right decision and is taking his time. Ron originally was set on a couple of individuals who decided to stay where they were. They were in very good situations, in both cases head coaching situations, and wanted to remain in that position."

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think that's the problem Rolston ran into, as the two head coaches he wanted to join his staff wouldn't leave those positions (at this time) to become assistants.

Regier said: "Ron is continuing to work on it, interview, had a couple of candidates in Monday and Tuesday, and is really doing the work to get the right decision and is taking his time. Ron originally was set on a couple of individuals who decided to stay where they were. They were in very good situations, in both cases head coaching situations, and wanted to remain in that position."

That doesn't surprise me and Mo could be one of those guys.

Knowing Mo from working for him for two years, I'd be surprised if he would be open to being an assistant at this point in his career.

He might even have an issue with working for a guy that used to work for him. But, who knows...

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Blashill, who has two years remaining on his contract as Griffins coach, said, “I fully expect to be in Grand Rapids next year.”

“I am really, really just focused on the progress of our players in this organization,” he said.

At some point, however, the 39-year-old Blashill wants to coach in the NHL.

“Sure I do,” he said. “But I don’t go out seeking opportunities. I haven’t. If I do the best job I can, and we have success, things will take care of themself.”
http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2013/06/jeff_blashill_on_nhl_coaching.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad