Sabres All-Time Toughest Team

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
Dude was an AHL punching bag until he started taking steroids. Even then he wasn't even a good fighter, he was just big. He's also recently talked on the air about how he wished there was a rule making it a penalty to go down on a knee to block a shot, because he hates blocking shots. I really don't think there's anything tough about him.

Maybe so. I didn't watch him in the AHL and I didn't hear him talk, but what I did see was a fearless guy who protected his captain and his goalie when they needed him most. That's more valuable to me than what he did in the AHL or what he said on the radio.

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
When I think of Andrew Peters, I'll always think about the brawl against Ottawa. He took on anyone and everyone in that game in defense of Drury. Then stepped up to an amateur boxer in Emery to defend Miller. Dude showed real toughness that day, no matter what you think of his offensive game.

Terrible player, lousy enforcer, worst sports radio host. Oh, seems like real jerk as well. About all I can say good about Peters.:shakehead

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
Terrible player, lousy enforcer, worst sports radio host. Oh, seems like real jerk as well. About all I can say good about Peters.:shakehead

Pretty sure this thread was about toughest players, not best radio host and nicest guy. Please explain how he was a lousy enforcer.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
When I think of Andrew Peters, I'll always think about the brawl against Ottawa. He took on anyone and everyone in that game in defense of Drury. Then stepped up to an amateur boxer in Emery to defend Miller. Dude showed real toughness that day, no matter what you think of his offensive game.

Stafford was the one that defended Drury. Peters went out there after Ruff put the 4th line out to "send a message" to Ottawa after they put their 1st line out there.

And Peters stepped up to fight Emery AFTER Emery and Biron fought. He didn't show toughness, he showed goonery which was what his job was. He is not tough in anyway, he was just an "enforcer" and he still lost the fight to Emery.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
May/Peca/Gare
Maguire/Ray//Spencer
Barnaby/Hartman/Halkidis
Donnelly/Gillies/Ruff

Playfair/Shoenfeld
Korab/Ramsey
Bougher/McKee
Warrener

so far I am liking this list...Wasn't Halkidis a defenceman though ?

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
Stafford was the one that defended Drury. Peters went out there after Ruff put the 4th line out to "send a message" to Ottawa after they put their 1st line out there.

And Peters stepped up to fight Emery AFTER Emery and Biron fought. He didn't show toughness, he showed goonery which was what his job was. He is not tough in anyway, he was just an "enforcer" and he still lost the fight to Emery.

So Stafford deserves all the credit and Peters doesn't? It doesn't take toughness to be a goon? It takes more physical toughness to be a goon than any other position in hockey. The whole reason they are goons are because they are tough.

Go fight someone then when you come back I'll tell you that you're not tough and just a goon.

You guys have some weird vendetta against Peters that I'm clearly not in on.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So Stafford deserves all the credit and Peters doesn't? It doesn't take toughness to be a goon? It takes more physical toughness to be a goon than any other position in hockey. The whole reason they are goons are because they are tough.

Go fight someone then when you come back I'll tell you that you're not tough and just a goon.

For the action of Stafford to step up to Neil directly right after the hit, yes he deserves full credit. Peters was a "hired gun" to send a message vs the likes of such tough guys as Spezza, Alfredsson, Heatley.

If what Peters did for that ordeal is considered toughness, then I don't want toughness in the league.

I don't think he was that tough. That's my opinion. It takes more than just being a goon or doing goonery actions to be considered tough in my eyes.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I don't really think getting in fights makes someone tough, but maybe that's just me.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Varada certainly should be on the list. And McKee just cuz it takes a pretty tough ******* to block all thise shots. And if I remember right Denis Hamel was pretty tough to until he blew up. Maybe Thorburn too...

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
I don't really think getting in fights makes someone tough, but maybe that's just me.

You don't think toughness and getting into fights overlaps, maybe just a little teeny tiny bit?

I get mental toughness can be different, but come on. Am I really listening to a bunch of guys sitting behind a keyboard trying to convince me that an NHL enforcer isn't tough.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
You could always add Perreault to the list as he scored a KO and broken jaw in his only NHL fight. As for goalies, Barrasso was by and far the toughest, meanest SOB that ever manned the nets for the Sabres.

You can also add in players like Rick Dudley and his crazy ass headband as he was a tough SOB that would go with anyone, though he had a tendency to fight outside his weight class aka bouts with the Hammer

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Spencer - Ramsay* - Gare (1970s)
Hartman - Ray** - Mike Foligno (1980s)
May - Peca - Barnaby (1990s)
Boulton - Mair - Kaleta (2000's-present)
Scott

Korab - Schoenfeld (1970s) (although Bill Hajt was probably the toughest, positionally, to play against)
Playfair - Ruff (1980s)
Boughner - McKee (2000s)
Lee Fogolin - Donnelly (1970-80s / 1990's)

Barasso - As ONG said, a nasty hothead, with ******** ego to match.
Hasek - Toughest Sabre to ever play against, hands down. Mentally toughest, too.
Al Smith - Politely told the Sabres to shove it.

1970s - *Ramsay move from LW to center. Have to include him for his consecutive games played. Tough guy - played through a lot of injuries and ALWAYS took the toughest defensive shadowing assignments.

1980s - ** technically, Ray started in '89. Had to move him to center too.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton

Your right, any idiot can get in a fight. 90% of fights I've ever seen haven't involved tough guys.

However in the context of toughness in hockey, when your being paid to be someone who puts fear into other men because of your ability to be tough.

Was he a big tough guy with the other big tough guys though, no, not at all.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
This thread needs more Adam Mair. He was a great middle weight and his fights were always wild. I'd add him purely on the basis of his 2002 "helmets of fury" fight agaisnt Chris Neil. After which he was suspended for hitting Neil twice with Neil's helmet.

As well as the time that went to the Ottawa dressing room after a game to exchange words. The news quote was:

When asked what he was trying to communicate to the Senators, he said, "We don't play those guys until January, so I wanted to wish them a Happy Halloween."
What did they say back?
"I think they said Merry Christmas."
John Vogl asked if Mair was trying to talk to Chris Neil or Jaarko Ruutu
"It's Halloween for everybody, John."

I miss that dude.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You don't think toughness and getting into fights overlaps, maybe just a little teeny tiny bit?

I get mental toughness can be different, but come on. Am I really listening to a bunch of guys sitting behind a keyboard trying to convince me that an NHL enforcer isn't tough.

Tell you what, I'll compromise. I'll say that Peters is tough, if you agree that he shouldn't be anywhere near the "all-time" toughest team for the Sabres.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Deslauriers will be on that list soon. Hits hard and often, good fighter, and seems fearless.

You could make a case for Mike Weber, too. Blocks shots, fights, clears the crease.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I was debating putting Schultz on there. But as you said he was a shell of himself when he played for us.

As a point of historical interest, Schultz is listed at 6'1" 185lbs. I wonder how feared he would be in today's game. For comparison, Deslauriers is listed at 6'1" 230 lbs. That's a massive difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad