Confirmed with Link: Sabres add two scouts (Sutter/Vesanen) and Jakubowski back to AGM

p0nchik

Jul 24, 2021
How many do we have now? Have we finally overcome the deficit after canning all of Botterill's scouts?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How many do we have now? Have we finally overcome the deficit after canning all of Botterill's scouts?

Staff Directory // TEAM

They have 8 scouts listed. Given that they have generic scouts for pro & amateur scouting, I doubt they are back to the number of scouts they had prior to the firings that Adams carried out on his first day on the job.

Update:

In the 2019-20 Media Guide, there were 15 people listed as Amateur Scouts and 3 listed as Pro Scouts.

So, they still have less than half the number of scouts that they had under Botterill. And they also have fewer non-scouts in the hockey operations department now versus then.

Adams hockey department - 19 people
Botterill hockey department - 30 people

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Role21-22 Person19-20 Person
GMKevyn AdamsJason Botterill
Associate GMJason Karmanos
Assistant GMRandy Sexton
Assistant GMMark Jakubowski *Steve Greeley
VP of Hockey AdministrationMark Jakubowski
VP of Hockey Research & StrategySam Ventura
Director of AnalyticsJason Nightingale
Dir of Pro ScoutingJeremiah Crowe *
Dir of Amateur ScoutingJerry Forton *Ryan Jankowski
Assistant Dir of Amateur ScoutingJason Nightingale *Jeff Crisp
Head of Collegiate ScoutingJerry Forton
ScoutKevin Devine *
ScoutAustin Dunne *
ScoutFrank Musil *
ScoutAnders Forsberg
ScoutGraham Beamish *
ScoutTristan Musser
ScoutLukas Sutter
ScoutTommi Vesanen
Amateur ScoutCory Banika
Amateur ScoutSteve Cocker
Amateur ScoutKevin Devine
Amateur ScoutAustin Dunne
Amateur ScoutMerk Ferner
Amateur ScoutMarcus Fingal
Amateur ScoutScott Halpenny
Amateur ScoutRandy Hansch
Amateur ScoutFrank Musil
Amateur ScoutTeemu Numminen
Amateur ScoutTom O'Connor
Amateur ScoutRon Pyette
Amateur ScoutRob Riley
Amateur ScoutMatt Tiesling
Amateur ScoutMagnus Welin
Pro ScoutGraham Beamish
Pro ScoutJeremiah Crowe
Pro ScoutJohn Van Boxmeer
Coordinator of Team ServicesCole Burkhalter
Dir of Team OpsCole Burkhalter *
Head of Hockey ITKyle Kiebzak
Manager of Hockey Tech/Team OpsKyle Kiebzak *
Coordinator of Hockey AdminBrett Ruff *Brett Ruff
Executive AssistantTerri O'Brien *Terri O'Brien
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A * indicates the person was in the Sabres hockey department in 2019-20 and is still in the Sabres hockey department today.

12 of the 19 people in the hockey department today were with the team in 2019-20.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Role21-22 Person19-20 Person
GMKevyn AdamsJason Botterill
Associate GMJason Karmanos
Assistant GMRandy Sexton
Assistant GMMark Jakubowski *Steve Greeley
VP of Hockey AdministrationMark Jakubowski
VP of Hockey Research & StrategySam Ventura
Director of AnalyticsJason Nightingale
Dir of Pro ScoutingJeremiah Crowe *
Dir of Amateur ScoutingJerry Forton *Ryan Jankowski
Assistant Dir of Amateur ScoutingJason Nightingale *Jeff Crisp
Head of Collegiate ScoutingJerry Forton
ScoutKevin Devine *
ScoutAustin Dunne *
ScoutFrank Musil *
ScoutAnders Forsberg
ScoutGraham Beamish *
ScoutTristan Musser
ScoutLukas Sutter
ScoutTommi Vesanen
Amateur ScoutCory Banika
Amateur ScoutSteve Cocker
Amateur ScoutKevin Devine
Amateur ScoutAustin Dunne
Amateur ScoutMerk Ferner
Amateur ScoutMarcus Fingal
Amateur ScoutScott Halpenny
Amateur ScoutRandy Hansch
Amateur ScoutFrank Musil
Amateur ScoutTeemu Numminen
Amateur ScoutTom O'Connor
Amateur ScoutRon Pyette
Amateur ScoutRob Riley
Amateur ScoutMatt Tiesling
Amateur ScoutMagnus Welin
Pro ScoutGraham Beamish
Pro ScoutJeremiah Crowe
Pro ScoutJohn Van Boxmeer
Coordinator of Team ServicesCole Burkhalter
Dir of Team OpsCole Burkhalter *
Head of Hockey ITKyle Kiebzak
Manager of Hockey Tech/Team OpsKyle Kiebzak *
Coordinator of Hockey AdminBrett Ruff *Brett Ruff
Executive AssistantTerri O'Brien *Terri O'Brien
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A * indicates the person was in the Sabres hockey department in 2019-20 and is still in the Sabres hockey department today.

12 of the 19 people in the hockey department today were with the team in 2019-20.

Thanks for breaking it down like that.

Seems they are still running very, very lean.

Reactions: brian_griffin

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I went to high school with Brett ruff, nice kid. Had no idea he had been working for the team

also glad nightingale is out of an exclusively analytics role. he didn't do a very good job imo

Reactions: Club

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
At a quick glance, the set-up seems pretty good overall, if they'd just hire more scouts

The cut from 18 scouts to 8 is the vast majority of the changes as the total number of people in the hockey department has dropped from 30 to 19.

So, the scouting cuts make up 91% of the overall departmental cuts. Plus, they likely drive an even bigger cost reduction as cutting scouts and relying more on video scouting reduces a lot of the scouting travel budget.

The other piece to the puzzle that we are unlikely to ever know is who else is in the hockey analytics department. We have heard of hockey analytics interns that the team used in the past that were never advertised.

It will be interesting to see if they put the two people that get hired to fill the two analytics job postings.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I went to high school with Brett ruff, nice kid. Had no idea he had been working for the team

also glad nightingale is out of an exclusively analytics role. he didn't do a very good job imo

We don't have enough information to judge that, IMO.

If Nightingale was never given a real team or the ability to really influence decisions, that could say a lot less about Nightingale and more about the people above him.

Reactions: joshjull

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I offer my services to being a scout. I live where there is a major junior A team in my city (Soo Greyhounds), and live 3 hours away from a second (Sudbury Wolves) and 4.5 from a third one (North Bay Battalion). In addition, there’s a Div. I college team just across the river from me (Lake Superior State). This means I can do both in person and video scouting and not have lots of travel saving money :sarcasm:

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
We don't have enough information to judge that, IMO.

If Nightingale was never given a real team or the ability to really influence decisions, that could say a lot less about Nightingale and more about the people above him.
KA seems very much interested in analytics though, at by his recent hires. why would he bump him to a different role if a.) nightingale wasn't the best option or b.) nightingale didn't want to do it?

I do agree, however, that past GMs didn't seem to give the data any time of time. that is definitely for certain

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'm glad they rewarded Jakubowki. He's probably had a hand in every player contract they've done since Adams became GM. They'd be lost without him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
KA seems very much interested in analytics though, at by his recent hires. why would he bump him to a different role if a.) nightingale wasn't the best option or b.) nightingale didn't want to do it?

I do agree, however, that past GMs didn't seem to give the data any time of time. that is definitely for certain

Just because Ventura is a better option does not mean that Nightingale didn't do the best he possibly could previously given the situation.

Some of the shift will likely be Nightingale taking his analytics skills and focusing them on amateur scouting and allowing Ventura to focus more on the NHL roster. And Nightingale wanting to focus on the amateur scouting side does not say anything about his performance in his prior role.

Also, Adams is going down a path that will rely heavily on drafting well. If Nightingale was horrible in his prior role, why would Adams move Nightingale into a role to influence how they draft?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

I think Nightingale was miscast in an administrative role. It was different when there was just Nightingale and an intern. Jason Karmanos oversees the analytics department now and his vision requires an administrator to hire and oversee a group of data scientists to develop policies and procedures to create a highly functional unit. Ventura isn't just an analytics guy, he's an accomplished administrator that's demonstrated he can develop an effective department.
The Sabres Just Made a Sneaky-Good Hire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad