Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire G Ben Bishop and a 7th round pick in 2022 from Dallas in exchange for future considerations

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ryan who?

Bishop is due a salary of $3.5MM this season, meaning the Sabres won’t even have to cover one of the more expensive years of the deal. The contract also includes a 10-team no-trade clause, though that likely isn’t much of an impediment given he isn’t expected to play again. lol

• Haha
Reactions: VaporTrail

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
A sad day for the franchise, and honestly, a really sad day for NHL.

The salary cap is there for a reason. Now all it takes is a 7th round pick for a poverty franchise to take player to give relief. Just get rid of the salary caps at this point. They are useless both ways (floor and ceiling).

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa

The salary cap is there for a reason. Now all it takes is a 7th round pick for a poverty franchise to take player to give relief. Just get rid of the salary caps at this point. They are useless both ways (floor and ceiling).
Or just raise the floor.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I don't see why it is sad for the NHL.

Moves like this allow the teams that want to spend to spend. The cap floor is just there so the players get a minimum payout.

I would say it is a frustrating day for the fans, at most.

Reactions: Jacob582

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I’m not sure what teams typically get for taking on cap dumps like this so I can’t comment on the return. But the Sabres don’t have any major contracts this year. They aren’t going to spend big in free agency this year. I was expecting cap dumps. They might take on a couple more.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I don't see why it is sad for the NHL.

Moves like this allow the teams that want to spend to spend. The cap floor is just there so the players get a minimum payout.

I would say it is a frustrating day for the fans, at most.

The league put in the salary cap to make it a more balanced league. How many years will Buffalo and Arizona be at the bottom of the league because they are just there to have the lowest payroll possible?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Seems like a real low return for 4.9....

It kinda is.....but this move is to save the Stars overage hit on the 23/24 cap than it is saving them space this year.
It's more about getting our asses to the cap floor than saving the Stars a bit of overage hit on 23/24.

So I understand the rather paltry "return".

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The league put in the salary cap to make it a more balanced league. How many years will Buffalo and Arizona be at the bottom of the league because they are just there to have the lowest payroll possible?
The league put in the salary cap to have cost certainty for the owners. The NHL doesn't care about a more balanced league.

And in case you didn't notice, the Sabres weren't at the bottom of the league this year and a lot of fans aren't expecting them to be there next year.

Seems like a real low return for 4.9....
When you make this move this early, the price isn't going to be a premium.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
The league put in the salary cap to have cost certainty for the owners. The NHL doesn't care about a more balanced league.

And in case you didn't notice, the Sabres weren't at the bottom of the league this year and a lot of fans aren't expecting them to be there next year.

When you make this move this early, the price isn't going to be a premium.
I'd also say that I'm willing to bet many of the people complaining about this move would be complaining next season if the Sabres went out and signed 2 or 3 players who blocked kids like Quinn and Peterka from getting onto the roster or getting top 9 minutes if they did.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
It kinda is.....but this move is to save the Stars overage hit on the 23/24 cap than it is saving them space this year.
It's more about getting our asses to the cap floor than saving the Stars a bit of overage hit on 23/24.

So I understand the rather paltry "return".
Couldn’t we spend to the cap floor to get a roster player/real nhl goalie?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
7th rounder ?

I guess it's better than a sharp stick in your eye
1654894645750.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad