Proposal: Sabres #8 OA for #9 OA + Marcus Foligno

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This deal only happens if two of Rossi, Perfetti, and Lundell are still around after the #7 pick is made.

The thinking for MN is that they need an offensively skilled C going forward, and are already set with a defensive middle six C in JEE. Lundell might end up being more of the same, though he has higher offensive upside. MN need to take a chance and hope that Rossi/Perfetti can bring at least some of their offensive game to the NHL, though there is the worry that they end up being the next Mikael Granlund- moved to the wing because of skating, size, and strength deficiencies.

For BUF, they already have their offensive star #1C( and then some), and are looking for a solid, two way C that can take on defensive assignments as well as add some offense. Foligno is no stranger to BUF, and is a quality bottom sixer who would add physicality and professionalism to the squad. BUF can't afford to swing and miss on this pick(Mitts?), and Lundell looks be a pretty sure thing as a middle six C at a minimum, while Perfetti/Rossi have size and positional concerns.

As a MN fan, though one who has a benign interest in BUF(when we aren't getting screwed by them in trades), I think this is a chancy deal, for reasons posted above. I think it's a no brainer for BUF. Both teams need C's, but I think they need different types of C's, and this trade addresses that.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No.

Perfetti isn't a center. The fact that you don't understand that yet doesn't fill me with a lot of hope for you.

If Rossi and Lundell are both around and Buffalo "needs" a Lundell type, then they'll take Lundell and Rossi will still be there. If they don't "need" a Lundell type, Marcus f***ing Foligno is not going to be the difference.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't see how both teams could be simultaneously motivated to make this trade. Minnesota is only going to spend assets to move up if they think their guy is going to get picked before 9. Buffalo is only going to trade back if their certain their guy is still going to be on the board. Either both teams want the same guy, in which case Buffalo isn't moving back (a bottom 6 LW with 1 year til UFA is not moving that needle), or they don't, in which case Minnesota has no need to trade up.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Loved foligno here, but he's already pushing 30. You don't potentially lose out on a guy you are higher on and will have 8-10 years of control on for a bottom sixer like that.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't see how both teams could be simultaneously motivated to make this trade. Minnesota is only going to spend assets to move up if they think their guy is going to get picked before 9. Buffalo is only going to trade back if their certain their guy is still going to be on the board. Either both teams want the same guy, in which case Buffalo isn't moving back (a bottom 6 LW with 1 year til UFA is not moving that needle), or they don't, in which case Minnesota has no need to trade up.

But Marcus Foligno isn't just any bottom 6 LW with 1 year til UFA, he's former Sabre Marcus Foligno :naughty:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Foligno isn’t a player I’d drop one spot for given his age and a 1 yr rental.

Usually it costs a 2nd+ to move one spot around here.

Buffalo is one of the few teams who might rntertain trading down a few spots and getting current NHLers in return.

I’d be asking for E-E to trade down.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Buffalo is one of the few teams who might rntertain trading down a few spots and getting current NHLers in return.

Can you actually provide some examples of that?

Are you saying it would take Eriksson Ek to move up one spot? That's ludicrous.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Goose312

May 15, 2015
The Wild embargo on trades with Buffalo is not yet lifted. Until that time no more trades with Buffalo.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Can you actually provide some examples of that?

Are you saying it would take Eriksson Ek to move up one spot? That's ludicrous.

Then why haven’t we seen teams move 1-2 picks up and down in the top 10.

In 2008 Totonto moved from 7 to 5 costing a 2nd and a 3rd. Islanders traded down again to 9 adding more picks.

Buffalo looked at moving up in 2013 for 8 to 5 and the rumored price was Sekera and a high 2nd.

Reactions: Wingsfan 4 life

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Then why haven’t we seen teams move 1-2 picks up and down in the top 10.

In 2008 Totonto moved from 7 to 5 costing a 2nd and a 3rd. Islanders traded down again to 9 adding more picks.

Buffalo looked at moving up in 2013 for 8 to 5 and the rumored price was Sekera and a high 2nd.

That's multiple spots moving into the top 5, not 1 spot from 9 to 8.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, it won't. But the price to move up from 9 to 8 if both teams were willing is not Eriksson Ek.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Buffalo probably just drafts whoever is at the top of their board rather than move down one spot and risk him being taken.

Minnesota probably doesn't want to give up something to move up one single spot unless they're obsessed with one specific guy and somehow 100% sure Buffalo will take him.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Teams don't move one spot in the draft. If you're worried about Buffalo being after the same guy that you like, then you need to get to pick 7.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

Are you serious about this? Wild wouldn't trade Joel Eriksson Ek to move up 1spot in draft.

Joel Eriksson Ek is untouchable.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Teams don't move one spot in the draft. If you're worried about Buffalo being after the same guy that you like, then you need to get to pick 7.

He still thinks Perfetti is a center, you're talking about moving up TWO spots? Slow down.

Ledge And Dairy

Rossi should definitely not fall out of the top 6. I would bot be surprised if both Perfetti and Lundell are available at #8 though. If I'm Buffalo I am definitely selecting Lundell since he is NHL ready and still has a lot of potential. If they were to trade down to #9 they wont get Lundell since Minnesota will surely take him and that is a poor asset management in my opinion.

No.

Perfetti isn't a center. The fact that you don't understand that yet doesn't fill me with a lot of hope for you.

If Rossi and Lundell are both around and Buffalo "needs" a Lundell type, then they'll take Lundell and Rossi will still be there. If they don't "need" a Lundell type, Marcus f***ing Foligno is not going to be the difference.
Misconception, Perfetti has the potential to become a center but is more likely to be a winger. If both Rossi and Lundell are gone by the time the Wild pick they should definitely take bpa in Perfetti over someone like Jarvis as a center.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rossi should definitely not fall out of the top 6. I would bot be surprised if both Perfetti and Lundell are available at #8 though. If I'm Buffalo I am definitely selecting Lundell since he is NHL ready and still has a lot of potential. If they were to trade down to #9 they wont get Lundell since Minnesota will surely take him and that is a poor asset management in my opinion.

Misconception, Perfetti has the potential to become a center but is more likely to be a winger. If both Rossi and Lundell are gone by the time the Wild pick they should definitely take bpa in Perfetti over someone like Jarvis as a center.

Don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of what the Wild should do. If Perfetti is there at 9, at least one guy who isn't projected to got into the top 8. If that one guy is Lundell, sure, maybe we should take Perfetti. If that one guy is Askarov, Sanderson, or even Jarvis or Quinn, then maybe we still look at Lundell over Perfetti.

I also don't see Jarvis as a center, so I would hope he's not even on the radar. The guy I'd take from that next tier if any is Mercer.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Not that I disagree with your overall point, but New Jersey and Ottawa did swap 11 and 12 in 2016.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not that I disagree with your overall point, but New Jersey and Ottawa did swap 11 and 12 in 2016.

I would guess that when this happens, another team was trying to trade up to 11, and Ottawa paid the price so they could get their guy, rather than the other team trying to move up.

Reactions: 2Pair

Ledge And Dairy

Don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of what the Wild should do. If Perfetti is there at 9, at least one guy who isn't projected to got into the top 8. If that one guy is Lundell, sure, maybe we should take Perfetti. If that one guy is Askarov, Sanderson, or even Jarvis or Quinn, then maybe we still look at Lundell over Perfetti.

I also don't see Jarvis as a center, so I would hope he's not even on the radar. The guy I'd take from that next tier if any is Mercer.
If Lundell is available you take him over Perfetti. If you have to choose between Perfetti, Sanderson, Askarov, and the next tier you shpuld take Perfetti though.

Mercer is a solid option, I have Jarvis above him though. Both played a fair bit of center this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was pretty clear about what would have to be the situation for this trade to work. After pick #7, one of Rossi/Perfetti, and Lundell, would both be available. The trade would be during the draft after the #7 pick is made.

I also thought I was pretty clear that even though BUF and MN want a C, they actually want different types of C's.

I think this trade has the potential to be a win win, though some MN fans might consider losing Foligno to be too big of a price. He is a useful player.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Sabres and Kings flipped 12 and 14 in 2008.

Sabres GM to Kings GM we give you a 3rd to move up one spot we exchange names on papaer if same name no trade, if different names then trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad