19. Jimmy Snuggerud ------ (77.8%) *
20. ____

* equals runoff vote

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Pickering again, but as we’re getting into the 20’s I’ll just say again, I REALLY want Lutz at 28. Will trade up if necessary.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If we want a big forward who might be able to fill in on C when needed, I'll take Lutz 100 times out of 100 over Geekie.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
The Geekie hate has gone too far! I think there’s a realistic shot the Sabres take him at 9. Not that he would be my pick there, but I have a gut feeling about it. I picked up the Black Book yesterday and it made me much more comfortable with that idea. No way would I have guys like Ostlund or Kulich ahead of him.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The Geekie hate has gone too far! I think there’s a realistic shot the Sabres take him at 9. Not that he would be my pick there, but I have a gut feeling about it. I picked up the Black Book yesterday and it made me much more comfortable with that idea. No way would I have guys like Ostlund or Kulich ahead of him.
I thought the black book dropped him a lot?

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016
If they take him at 9, I will be here all night with my popcorn. It will be a like watching as the joker , watching the world burn

Reactions: KiwiGriff and jmelm

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If they take him at 9, I will be here all night with my popcorn. It will be a like watching as the joker , watching the world burn
Registered since 2016? You should have been here long enough to have experienced this already... :laugh:

The way I'm looking at it is - with three picks - they can't all possibly be ones i hate... Can they?

• Haha
Reactions: displacedsabre

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
lol! I can certainly see why people would have problems with his game. In my opinion (I could be wrong) he still has a lot of improvement left in him. Compare him with somebody like his teammate Savoie who I think is pretty much maxed out, I think it's very close. Right now, Savoie is the better player, no doubt. But if Savoie only improves 10% on what he is now, and Geekie improves 30% - then it's a different story.

Kind of similar situation when people lost their minds with Jack Quinn ahead of Marco Rossi. Rossi was the better player right then and there, no doubt. But Quinn continues to develop where Rossi has only mildly improved. Doesn't mean Rossi is a bad player by any means, just that Quinn had more potential to unlock.

You combine his size + skill combo and project that with an improvement in skating, strength and puck-handling (easier said than done) you really have something. Or he doesn't improve much and he's an average third line center.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
lol! I can certainly see why people would have problems with his game. In my opinion (I could be wrong) he still has a lot of improvement left in him. Compare him with somebody like his teammate Savoie who I think is pretty much maxed out, I think it's very close. Right now, Savoie is the better player, no doubt. But if Savoie only improves 10% on what he is now, and Geekie improves 30% - then it's a different story.

Kind of similar situation when people lost their minds with Jack Quinn ahead of Marco Rossi. Rossi was the better player right then and there, no doubt. But Quinn continues to develop where Rossi has only mildly improved. Doesn't mean Rossi is a bad player by any means, just that Quinn had more potential to unlock.

You combine his size + skill combo and project that with an improvement in skating, strength and puck-handling (easier said than done) you really have something. Or he doesn't improve much and he's an average third line center.

Quinn was a late bloomer who improved significantly over the course of his draft season. The talent and trajectory were both there. Geekie's development line has been flat.

Reactions: jmelm

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Quinn was a late bloomer who improved significantly over the course of his draft season. The talent and trajectory were both there. Geekie's development line has been flat.
True! I guess the one thing that Geekie has going for him over Quinn in that comparison is that Quinn was already an older prospect, where Geekie is one of the younger ones. If Geekie were to be a late-bloomer, that could still come at the same age as Quinn. Still, a valid concern and one I share, but I do think you see the flashes of what he can be throughout the season. If he puts it all together, it's a big draft hit.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If I wanted a low effort non physical non aggressive tall guy I can get one someone else wasted a draft pick on cheap in free agency.

Reactions: Zach716

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Registered since 2016? You should have been here long enough to have experienced this already... :laugh:

The way I'm looking at it is - with three picks - they can't all possibly be ones i hate... Can they?

For me, I don't think anything is going to top the hot takes from the Tyler Myers draft thread, especially since we traded up one draft spot for him (which a lot of people couldn't or perhaps refused to understand why), and took him in front of a physical D-man the board loved in Teubert. Boy were a bunch of people eating way too much crow two years later when he won the Calder...

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Don't bother... Whether it's over scouting or the echo chamber of people complaining about him, most people here have soured on him. In the draft/prospect threads he was nearly unanimously considered a top 10-15 pick by most fans here at the end of April. Then he had a subpar playoffs and a few of the agencies dropped him in their rankings, and now it is what it is.

I agree with your take, but at the end of the day this is a meaningless prospect poll, so :dunno:

If I had one complaint it would be the way the poll handles ties. I think both players should get slotted in the event of a tie, with the runoff winner getting slotted a spot higher. But that's just a minor complaint... The poll serves it's purpose, helps all of us pass the time with a bit more prospect talk until the draft.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Don't bother... Whether it's over scouting or the echo chamber of people complaining about him, most people here have soured on him. In the draft/prospect threads he was nearly unanimously considered a top 10-15 pick by most fans here at the end of April. Then he had a subpar playoffs and a few of the agencies dropped him in their rankings, and now it is what it is.

I agree with your take, but at the end of the day this is a meaningless prospect poll, so :dunno:

If I had one complaint it would be the way the poll handles ties. I think both players should get slotted in the event of a tie, with the runoff winner getting slotted a spot higher. But that's just a minor complaint... The poll serves it's purpose, helps all of us pass the time with a bit more prospect talk until the draft.
Yeah I just ended up doing it that way because the first runoff poll was caused by low turnout so I figured it’d be better to just start the next poll instead to get more opinions represented.

Just stayed consistent after that. I honestly didn’t expect many runoffs with 25-50+ ppl voting in each poll but we’ve already had 3 before pick 20 :laugh:

One thing that is forsure is that after pick 12 this boards preferences widely varies.

Reactions: jmelm

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah I just ended up doing it that way because the first runoff poll was caused by low turnout so I figured it’d be better to just start the next poll instead to get more opinions represented.

Just stayed consistent after that. I honestly didn’t expect many runoffs with 25-50+ ppl voting in each poll but we’ve already had 3 before pick 20 :laugh:

One thing that is forsure is that after pick 12 this boards preferences widely varies.

We will likely see that in real life too. Every year, teams have leaks of what their boards are (the insider videos of their war rooms on the lead up to the draft are often dissected) that are unique to the team. Said another way, the teams don't have a consensus usually either.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Hate? Eh, more like there are other players I like more. Watched a lot of the Ice early, hoping to see Geekie (and Savoie) be the sort of players hinted at during the early talk about this draft and was just left wanting more far too often. Same thing with Lambert - wanted to like him after seeing him last year, just left watching him not capitalize on what he was creating regardless of if it was with JYP or Pelicans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad