OT: Sabre Fans, How Do You Keep Your Love of Hockey Alive?

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I love hockey. I watch a lot of good teams/matchups, Bos/TB was great last night. If a game is on I'll have it on the tube, maybe another on my computer. Didnt even bother tuning in to Buf/Wpg last night.

also have been in an ultra competitive fantasy league going on 15 years which keeps things fun and engaged with players/teams throughout the league...love nerding out on the draft, ufa, prospect tournies etc.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I kinda don't? I used to. I'd follow the draft, research contracts and cap hits, play EHM and NHL 2k/20xx games...

Now? Eh. I almost think of it like an abusive relationship. I give and give and give - time, money, mental energy - and aside from rare moments, what I get out of it is frustration and disappointment. 10 years into this relationship, I can't help but wonder, "Why should I care if they clearly do not?"
This comment struck me in both the head and the heart. It's on a whole different plane than arguing "Murray vs. Botterill", or whether Botterill is mediocre, bad, awful, or worst ever. It gets to the core of our fan interest.

Sabres sucked the life out of me a couple seasons ago ... I watch most games still, but multitask while its on.

For about 15 seasons I didn't miss a game, now I don't care that much if I do miss a game (my wife is happier, we can go out to dinner or out with friends .. lol).

I used to be much more active on these pages even when the team was having a crappy year, but always seemed like us fans had something to look forward to.
A BUCKSHOT sighting!! Hey Buck. I had the game on last night in the living room (I normally DVR and watch late-night or early AM) and was multitasking for work. My wife asked, mildly frustrated, "Are you watching game or not??"

I’m in a long term (going on 15 years now) fantasy keeper league with a deep farm system, so I can stay busy paying attention to my players from other NHL teams as well as my farm roster of prospects. It’s the only reason hockey is still fun.
Folks, we have found our next Sabres GM!!

Rather easy when you think of how good we're about to be.
There have always been contrarians who were justified after the fact leading mankind in new directions. There have also been a greater number of babbling fools. Hoping against all hope you're the former.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
This comment struck me in both the head and the heart. It's on a whole different plane than arguing "Murray vs. Botterill", or whether Botterill is mediocre, bad, awful, or worst ever. It gets to the core of our fan interest.

Thanks, I think. I don’t want to make anyone go too introspective because of it, but there is a certain similarity that I can’t shake.

To clarify my original point, the 10 years is the near-constant abuse part. I’ve been a fan since birth, which was much more than 10 years ago.

Reactions: Chainshot

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Thanks, I think. I don’t want to make anyone go too introspective because of it, but there is a certain similarity that I can’t shake.

To clarify my original point, the 10 years is the near-constant abuse part. I’ve been a fan since birth, which was much more than 10 years ago.
nah, it’s good. My first marriage wasn’t a good partnership, and some trained professionals might assess it as abusive. But, from my experience it isn’t until you step outside of a situation and assess it with some emotional detachment that you can see it clearer, objectively, and completely. And I won’t speak ill of anyone - it takes 2 people to have a relationship and therefore 2 people to have relationship problems, and I have/had my blame.

To the hockey analog, I’d be devastated if the Sabres relocated. Knowing that’s an immense improbability, but also acknowledging there’s no apparent and/or credible plan for franchise improvement might be akin to having a beloved family member whose alcoholism is functioning in society, yet they will never quit. Or someone who is emotionally abusive, or alternatively emotionally distant, yet you’re “stuck” with them out of financial need.

They’d never hire me. I never draft low ceiling defensive defensemen and I take liberal fliers on smaller skill guys who can skate fast. Although I do almost always win my trades.
there’s a saying in basketball “you can’t coach height” meaning you can’t make someone taller. I’ve heard a similar analogy “you can’t coach speed” meaning there’s a limit to how much faster you can make a player.

Would love for the Sabres to focus on something coherent. Speed would be an acceptable something.

Last edited:

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I will always love the game...playing it, going to my sons’ games and watching the NHL. The Sabres used to be a passion for me... but between the tank, Tim Murray and Jason Botterill... I have lost a lot of that passion and dedication at least as it pertains to the Sabres. Right now, I am sort of numb to the team and hope someday that passion will come back. I am not even angry anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad