Confirmed with Link: Saad to Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Sorry I don't buy it, there are many talented restricted free agents right now and non of then have gotten an offer sheet, examples are Terasenko and Nyquist, when was the last time there was an offer sheet to any player in the NHL?

Ryan O'Reilly two years ago got offersheeted. As a 22 year old who wasn't considered the main piece of his team.

Then the year before Weber was and that's a far different situation.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Weber
OReilly

and Blues/Wings are able to match those offers. The Jackets are able. The Hawks aren't

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Weber
OReilly

and Blues/Wings are able to match those offers. The Jackets are able. The Hawks aren't

I don't see why this is so hard for people to understand. Stan simply could not afford to take the chance at an offersheet because we could not match it. Its as simple as that. I wouldn't even be surprised if Saad ends up getting less than the 6.5 he was asking from Chicago. Columbus has the ability to take a harder line as they can just match any offersheet anyway. The Hawks couldn't, Saad's agent knew that, he tried to play hardball, and it ended up in the trade.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Stan panicked and traded him and then ended up giving another player that has half the potential as Saad 4.5 for 5 years

People continue to leave Dano out of their assessment of this trade.

Stan got a 2nd/3rd line C and a potential 1st line scoring winger for Saad, for the same price as what Saad wants, even less.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
No one would have done this trade if the cap was not a factor, no one. No one is claiming Anisimov/Dano > Saad. It's unfortunate the cap forced this, but it is what it is. I hate losing Saad, but this is the NHL now.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
No one would have done this trade if the cap was not a factor, no one. No one is claiming Anisimov/Dano > Saad. It's unfortunate the cap forced this, but it is what it is. I hate losing Saad, but this is the NHL now.

This is why you can't just look at the cap problems as of this moment and analyze how Stan messed up and got us in the situation we are in today, he knew 3 years ago that he had to sign Saad at this point and he should have been prepared. I fully understand this was cap related, that is no secret.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
**** that. I'm tired of the players using "it's a business" and "it's up to my agent" line of bull****. It's your life, idiots. I would want constant updates and would like to here from the agent and the team on a continual basis.

IMO players are idiots for hiring agents. Instead, hire a great contract lawyer to ensure everything you want is in the contract and negotiate directly with the team. That's the only way you'll ensure negotiations are made with your best interests. Many of these agents are bottom feeders and greaseballs.

Saad ****ed up and now he will pay the price (and I was/am a big fan of his).

Well put. Agents are like financial analysts. Some will look at their own bottom line first. The good ones will look out for their client first. Looks like Saad may have the former as his agent, and he will get a nice pay cheque but he may find out he is a lot less happy.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
This is why you can't just look at the cap problems as of this moment and analyze how Stan messed up and got us in the situation we are in today, he knew 3 years ago that he had to sign Saad at this point and he should have been prepared. I fully understand this was cap related, that is no secret.

So he should have envisioned 3 years ago Saad was going to be as good as he is, would want 6.5 AAV, and plan the future strategy towards that? Saad's asking price was a joke. We wouldn't have won the cup this past season planning our future around Saad. The future was planned around locking up the two superstars Kane and Toews long term.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014

You simply don't get it do you?

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012

Your Crawford bashing is tiresome but your Bowman bashing is just way off the mark.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am ok with trading Saad because it also opens up the money we will need to sign TT. Who would you rather have TT or Saad? I choose TT.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
So this is saying Hawks offered 5 mil AAV and Saad wanted more? If this is true Saad is an idiot

I think the absolute ceiling the Hawks would have went on an offer sheet was 5.0 million. Stan rightfully believed he would get more than that and made the right decision to trade him rather than get draft picks.

The Hawks probably were willing to go to 4.5 million on a bridge deal for two years. Saad's camp balked, and wanted the big money now instead of waiting until 2017 when he could have commanded north of 7.5 million per.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
So this is saying Hawks offered 5 mil AAV and Saad wanted more? If this is true Saad is an idiot

Well, people have different priorities.

If his priority was to stay a Chicago Blackhawk, then yes it was stupid.

If his priority was to make as much money as possible as fast as possible, then this was probably the smarter move.

Personally, I think the latter. I don't buy this 'oh, my agent did all the talking, I had no idea' stuff. I think players are media trained from the moment they're drafted, and Saad said things he knew would play well. Hockey players talk about how the they love their situation all the time, and most are still moved, or still take as much money as possible knowing that will impact the situation.

I have less problem with Saad chasing money than I do with him trying to play both sides by throwing his agent under the bus.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I don't see why this is so hard for people to understand. Stan simply could not afford to take the chance at an offersheet because we could not match it. Its as simple as that. I wouldn't even be surprised if Saad ends up getting less than the 6.5 he was asking from Chicago. Columbus has the ability to take a harder line as they can just match any offersheet anyway. The Hawks couldn't, Saad's agent knew that, he tried to play hardball, and it ended up in the trade.

This, people really need to educate themselves on the salary cap.

It's real and it applies here.

Dano is a good scoring prospect ie a guy who will score in fhe NHL and they got another center as well, pretty good value considering the actual circumstances.

Pulyx

Jun 8, 2015
Brazil
Blackhawks taught all their young players a lesson
If you really really want to stay with the team, don't let your agent come alone to the negotiating table.

Leaving it all to agents is so dumb man.
And i can honestly see why Saad would do it. I'm a terrible haggler and if you let me do it on my own i usually get the worst end of it.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

If his priority was to make as much money as possible as fast as possible, then this was probably the smarter move.

Personally, I think the latter. I don't buy this 'oh, my agent did all the talking, I had no idea' stuff. I think players are media trained from the moment they're drafted, and Saad said things he knew would play well. Hockey players talk about how the they love their situation all the time, and most are still moved, or still take as much money as possible knowing that will impact the situation.

I have less problem with Saad chasing money than I do with him trying to play both sides by throwing his agent under the bus.

I don't 'buy' it, but's it's certainly plausible. We will likely never truly know how much input Saad had in all of this.

The only real benefit is hiring an agent is (weak) plausible deniability. That way in situations like this the player can deflect blame and ire toward the agent and try to play coy. Maybe Saad is doing this, but I can't say for sure.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010

I think you seriously overestimate the players' understanding of the situation they're in and how much input they have in these instances. Especially these really young guys coming off ELCs.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
This, people really need to educate themselves on the salary cap.

It's real and it applies here.

Dano is a good scoring prospect ie a guy who will score in fhe NHL and they got another center as well, pretty good value considering the actual circumstances.

Wrong. What Bowman did makes zero sense - not when the difference is a mill... Sure I would understand if Saad was demanding 7.5 or 8....

He had no problem offering 4.5 to AA then signing VT for a mill and then taking on Troop and Morin to boot....

Bowman basically spent his Saad budget on a bag of junk....

It's quite clear Bowman loves AA so in his own twisted way he thinks he won the deal, just like he thought he was clever signing Bickell.

The Hawks are no longer contenders because of him and I have zero faith the Hawks will be back in contention any time soon.

Bowman would rather make a trade he believes he won than give a player away for nothing - even if it means he can keep one of his better younger players.

I've generally always understood Bwmans deals - this time they make no ****ing sense.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
Wrong. What Bowman did makes zero sense - not when the difference is a mill... Sure I would understand if Saad was demanding 7.5 or 8....

He had no problem offering 4.5 to AA then signing VT for a mill and then taking on Troop and Morin to boot....

Bowman basically spent his Saad budget on a bag of junk....

It's quite clear Bowman loves AA so in his own twisted way he thinks he won the deal, just like he thought he was clever signing Bickell.

The Hawks are no longer contenders because of him and I have zero faith the Hawks will be back in contention any time soon.

Bowman would rather make a trade he believes he won than give a player away for nothing - even if it means he can keep one of his better younger players.

I've generally always understood Bwmans deals - this time they make no ****ing sense.

If Saad was the difference between the Hawks being a contender or not then this team is worse off than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad