Confirmed with Link: Saad/Gilbert to Avs for Zadorov/Lindholm

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Bummer about Guhle. I really liked him.

Here’s an idea, if they really liked Guhle THAT much, you trade the f’ing pick and get your guy!!

That’s a total blunder by bowman if that’s true. No excuse to not get your guy if given the opportunity.

I agree with them on Guhle being the perfect partner for Bo or Mitchell.

Sorry, outsider fan of Zadorov. We're Hawks fans expecting to draft Guhle in the 1st? I liked him too, wanted Leafs to get him. FYI I think Zadorov is a more than capable #4; give him a long leash and you'll reap the rewards of a boost in his confidence.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Sorry, outsider fan of Zadorov. We're Hawks fans expecting to draft Guhle in the 1st? I liked him too, wanted Leafs to get him. FYI I think Zadorov is a more than capable #4; give him a long leash and you'll reap the rewards of a boost in his confidence.

I mean I’m not sure about expecting, but he was one of several targets I liked at 17.

I still can’t believe we passed on Mercer.

Dude has EVERYTHING Mark Kelley talks about. (Skill, hockey sense, good shot, character)

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

He didn't have much momentum with our pick. I think most included him among the options for the pick, but he wasn't much advocated for specifically.

At least go me it came as a very big surprise that he was the FOs guy.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I mean I’m not sure about expecting, but he was one of several targets I liked at 17.

I still can’t believe we passed on Mercer.

Dude has EVERYTHING Mark Kelley talks about. (Skill, hockey sense, good shot, character)

The Hawks already have a center with skating issues. They didn't need another one.

Reactions: Giovi

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
P
The Hawks already have a center with skating issues. They didn't need another one.

You’re high if you think Mercer is strome level skating.

The knock on Mercer is average skating, I’m not sure I’d say strome is even average. He’s slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinbad and BobbyJet

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
P

The knock on Mercer is average skating, I’m not sure I’d say strome is even average. He’s slow.

He's got some pretty big technical flaws in his stride, that are difficult to fix. Just like Strome. It isn't just about speed, but efficiency when skating, and how that affects your balance/energy consumption. I watched a few videos after I heard people mention his skating as a weakness, and they are spot on. I'm not a fan of his stride at all. His legs are always moving fast, but not accomplishing much... That's going to be a problem when everyone he's playing against is stronger and faster in the pros. I'm glad they passed on him.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
He's got some pretty big technical flaws in his stride, that are difficult to fix. Just like Strome. It isn't just about speed, but efficiency when skating, and how that affects your balance/energy consumption. I watched a few videos after I heard people mention his skating as a weakness, and they are spot on. I'm not a fan of his stride at all. His legs are always moving fast, but not accomplishing much... That's going to be a problem when everyone he's playing against is stronger and faster in the pros. I'm glad they passed on him.

The strome comparison isn’t great.

His skating isn’t perfect by any means, but strome is 23 and still a below average skater.

Mercer is average, and may even get better.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
P

From the ISS 2015 draft guide

3. DYLAN STROME
Erie - OHL
Position: C
Born: Mar 7/97
Height: 6.03*
Weight: 185
Size/Strength Excellent
Skating Average
Puck Skills Elite
Shot Excellent
Offensive Play Excellent
Defensive Play Good
Physical Play Good
Competitiveness Very Good
Hockey Sense Excellent
Strengths:
1. Vision and creativity
2. Magic hands
3. Pro shot
Weaknesses:
1. Average skater with average speed
2. Defensive zone play

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The strome comparison isn’t great.

His skating isn’t perfect by any means, but strome is 23 and still a below average skater.

Mercer is average, and may even get better.

Guys who are "average" skaters in the QMJHL, suffice it to say, are going to be poor skaters at the NHL level. If you have major flaws in your stride at 19, odds are, you aren't fixing them. He has major issues in his stride, IMO.

Reactions: Giovi

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Guys who are "average" skaters in the QMJHL, suffice it to say, are going to be poor skaters at the NHL level. If you have major flaws in your stride at 19, odds are, you aren't fixing them. He has major issues in his stride, IMO.

major flaws? You’re overstating things greatly here.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

3. DYLAN STROME
Erie - OHL
Size/Strength Excellent
Skating Average
Puck Skills Elite
Shot Excellent
Offensive Play Excellent
Defensive Play Good
Physical Play Good
Hockey Sense Excellent
Strengths:
1. Vision and creativity
2. Magic hands
3. Pro shot
Weaknesses:
2. Defensive zone play[/QUOTE

And?

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

3. DYLAN STROME
Erie - OHL
Size/Strength Excellent
Skating Average
Puck Skills Elite
Shot Excellent
Offensive Play Excellent
Defensive Play Good
Physical Play Good
Hockey Sense Excellent
Strengths:
1. Vision and creativity
2. Magic hands
3. Pro shot
Weaknesses:
2. Defensive zone play

Physical play good? Hmm.

Reactions: HawksDub89

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Physical play good? Hmm.

Yeah, lots of warts in that scouting report.

In fairness, he’s 6”3 200 so they probably assumed he had a physical game of some kind. (Which he clearly does not)

Also sort of debunks the idea of just drafting big guys. A guy like Caggs or Shaw, 15 pounds lighter but much more difficult to play against.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Troy Brouwer. Made a pretty long career after having skating issues early on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad