Speculation: Saad at 2C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
For as little big news as we have this summer...uhh...this is kinda big news, whether it's reliable or not.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bla...6619/saad-to-get-chance-at-second-line-center

As a rookie, Brandon Saad filled a void for the Chicago Blackhawks as a top-line winger.

In Saad’s second season, he’ll get the chance to be the second-line center the Blackhawks have been desperately searching for in recent seasons.

Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said Saturday he planned to give Saad a chance to win the spot when training camp begins in September.

“[Saad] is probably the guy we’re thinking maybe grab that spot, would be an option,” Quenneville said while talking to the media during the Blackhawks convention. “It’s something we talked about as a staff late in the year. It’s something going into the season we could be exploring.

“We had him out there on our own end with [Jonathan Toews] and [Marian Hossa]; a lot of times we’d just leave him out there knowing if we lose a faceoff or Johnny gets tossed he can go in there for the draw. That was in place almost all year, so you’re comfortable with that scenario.”

Last edited by a moderator:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think he has the offensive game to play 2C, but the key will be whether he can handle the defensive assignment of playing center. He played a good two way game as a winger last season so he has the physical tools and the right attitude, but he'll have to grasp where he needs to be and who he has to cover for him to win the job.

It's a win-win situation because even if he doesn't work out at 2C, he is still a pretty good winger and will be a key contributor.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
This is surprising. I would have thought they were comfortable with either Pirri or LeBlanc winning the job. And maybe they still are? It doesn't hurt to let Saad try it out I guess.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The way I look at it is with Bickell getting clear #2 LW money, there is only 1 spot in the top 6 left and they know he's a top 6 player and want him to take it.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Saad-Hossa

And that's really what this comes down to. They know that they have 6 top 6 forwards on this roster, and have 5 of these players either players either part of the know 'core' and someone you can probably include in the core with the number of years they have committed.

So long term, there is only 1 top 6 spot available, and they feel that Saad deserves a chance to earn it.

You already know he's an NHL top 6er, unlike Pirri...and that's not a slight on Pirri, he simply hasn't had the chance to prove himself in the NHL.

I think I'd rather see Pirri in a top 6 spot, to see what they have in him and see if he's capable of being a top 6 NHLer in the NHL. I think that's what Bowman would want to.

But it's Q's job to WIN! And if he thinks Saad filling the last remaining top 6 spot for the length of the contract he just signed is the right way to go, than that's the way to go.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Don't understand why it would be a bad idea to have Saad on the 3rd line and spread it out a bit. He will still get a good amount of time and I think this could be practice for the 2nd PP Unit.

Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Saad-Hossa

That's easily what you could see on the PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad