Trade: [SA/TOR] Goran Dragic, 2022 1st for Thad Young, Drew Eubanks, 2022 2nd

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
So the Raptors gave up a 1st round pick to get rid of Dragic, only to see the team they traded him to, buy him out. And in return, Toronto gets a has been and a never will be. I'd say that's great asset management......

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
What the hell? This is the best the Raptors could do for a valuable expiring contract and a first round pick? Mind as well just keep Dragic and hold onto the first round pick.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So the Raptors gave up a 1st round pick to get rid of Dragic, only to see the team they traded him to, buy him out. And in return, Toronto gets a has been and a never will be. I'd say that's great asset management......
You understand that 1. 1st is lottery protected this season and next and 2. Young is a really good depth player right? Eubanks has good stats and Toronto is notorious for turning guys like him into something.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
You understand that 1. 1st is lottery protected this season and next and 2. Young is a really good depth player right? Eubanks has good stats and Toronto is notorious for turning guys like him into something.

Be that as it may... I think the point is that Toronto shouldn't be giving up a 1st for "guys like him"

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Definitely a head-scratcher of a move...

I would've thought Dragic's contract would've been used to match salaries in a deal for a big fish

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The draft pick protected is 1 to 14 this year and 1 to 13 next year. You do realize that Toronto will be losing that pick, right?

Second, Young and Eubanks are playing minimal minutes this year. Young averages 14 minutes and Eubanks averages 12. Considering Toronto gave up a 1st and expiring contract, the return is piss poor.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The draft pick protected is 1 to 14 this year and 1 to 13 next year. You do realize that Toronto will be losing that pick, right?

Second, Young and Eubanks are playing minimal minutes this year. Young averages 14 minutes and Eubanks averages 12. Considering Toronto gave up a 1st and expiring contract, the return is piss poor.
Dragic has played 5 games this season. Is it a great deal? No it’s not some huge home run. It’s really a nothing deal though. I keep going back and forth to find out if I’m missing something regarding this trade but I don’t think I am. What did you expect to get for a player that barely played and a mid-late first.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparxx87

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Dragic has played 5 games this season. Is it a great deal? No it’s not some huge home run. It’s really a nothing deal though. I keep going back and forth to find out if I’m missing something regarding this trade but I don’t think I am. What did you expect to get for a player that barely played and a mid-late first.
If this was the best deal out there, Toronto should have bought out Dragic and kept the 1st.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
For one year? So what?

The higher draft pick is more valuable and could still been used to make a trade for a better player later on.
But it’s not that high of a pick…. This seems like people are massively overvaluing draft picks. This pick is going to be EARLIEST 15th but more likely 20-25 with the 2nd they got being 30-35. They get a much better player and a young guy and get rid of a guy who clearly doesn’t want to be there.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
But it’s not that high of a pick…. This seems like people are massively overvaluing draft picks. This pick is going to be EARLIEST 15th but more likely 20-25 with the 2nd they got being 30-35. They get a much better player and a young guy and get rid of a guy who clearly doesn’t want to be there.

It's about asset management. They basically turned a one dollar coin into four quarters when they should be the one trying to consolidate multiple assets into one big one. Young and Eubanks doesn't move the needle at all for the Raptors. Meanwhile, you can make an argument that Dragic's large expiring contract and that 1st round pick was the two most valuable assets in this deal.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's about asset management. They basically turned a one dollar coin into four quarters when they should be the one trying to consolidate multiple assets into one big one. Young and Eubanks doesn't move the needle at all for the Raptors. Meanwhile, you can make an argument that Dragic's large expiring contract and that 1st round pick was the two most valuable assets in this deal.
But you can’t. You genuinely cannot argue that because it already was proven to not be true. Dragic did not want to be there. Get him the hell of the room then.

Reactions: Wats

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Dragic had almost no value. Raptors cut their last roster spot to get $250k under the luxury tax so this deal is a 1-for-2 where they stay under the luxury tax, add a versatile bench veteran to the worst bench in the league and a much needed 3rd centre that brings a different element than Birch or Achiuwa. With Birch unable to stay healthy it's also insurance so they hopefully never have to play Chris Boucher at the 5.

It might not be the sexy move but it was a very sensible one. Young is a high IQ player and good defender with all the intangibles Nurse loves. Also another respected veteran leader for a relatively young group that will be great to have in practice for players like Barnes, Achiuwa and even Anunoby/Siakam.

They filled two needs for a player that wasn't going play for them and 10-15 spots in the draft. Hard to be mad at that.

Reactions: BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad