Ryback Contract Dispute [UPD: Ryback comments post #26]

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from today's pwinsider.com:

Ryback, who lost to WWE United States champion Kalisto last night during the WWE Payback Kickoff Show, is not at Raw in St. Louis tonight.

The word making the rounds, according to multiple sources, is that Ryback was sent home and will be, as of this writing, off TV indefinitely. One version of the story is that Ryback himself asked to be pulled from TV.

Ryack's contract with the company expires this summer and the two sides have been, according to several sources, at odds over negotiations for a new contract.

Ryback first worked for WWE in 2004 as part of The Million Dollar Tough Enough season that was integrated into Smackdown. He was signed to WWE developmental in 2006 and debuted on the first season of WWE NXT. After extended time off TV due to a badly broken angle, he returned as the current incarnation of Ryback and has been a regular on the main roster, and at times a PPV main eventer, since.

More as we get it.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Good. Guy can **** off and no one would care.

There are so many people who deserve the oppurtunities so much more but ryback has gotten chance after chance after chance strickly because he looks like a vince guy.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I feel like Ryback thinks he deserves a whole lot of money even though he sucks.

I remember in an interview he talked about how he wants a tour bus. I don't know if he was joking or not. I also remember how he legitimately thought he was going to get a top 1-on-1 match at Wrestlemania.

The Shockmaster

SHOCK THE WORLD
Jul 30, 2010
That's too bad. I think Ryback overestimates his ability while the internet community underestimates it.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
He grew on me ever so slightly when we got that heel bully Ryback but in general he is ****.

He's got nothing going for him except his physique and even then his strength isn't that impressive, he doesn't do things that make you say wow with those muscles.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
He said it himself once.

"I'm a dumb ****".

He sucks and can get off my TV anytime. Therefore, WWE will cave and give him a huge push because Vince.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
fWx327

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Ryback first worked for WWE in 2004 as part of The Million Dollar Tough Enough season that was integrated into Smackdown. He was signed to WWE developmental in 2006 and debuted on the first season of WWE NXT. After extended time off TV due to a badly broken angle, he returned as the current incarnation of Ryback and has been a regular on the main roster, and at times a PPV main eventer, since.

Yup the Nexus angle really did end being badly broken :sarcasm:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
He's done at this point, he hasn't done enough to merit a big push or a big raise.

With TNA floundering, I doubt they can open the vault for a mid level guy so his options are limited.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He's done at this point, he hasn't done enough to merit a big push or a big raise.

With TNA floundering, I doubt they can open the vault for a mid level guy so his options are limited.

I think Japan is an option for him. He won't be a main event guy there but there are things there he may find interesting for himself and he'll get paid pretty well.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Source: Wrestlezone

According to F4WOnline.com, multiple WWE sources are confirming Ryback, real name Ryan Reeves, is indeed involved in a contract dispute with WWE, and it could possibly stem from comments Ryback made while WWE was on tour in Dubai.

While WWE was in the UAE, Ryback was pretty outspoken in an interview with radio personality Myles, which you can watch in the video above. During the interview, Ryback vents his frustration with his spot on the past two WrestleMania cards, and according to Dave Meltzer, while wrestlers talk privately about their frustrations all the time, it’s not considered a good career move to speak out publicly unless you are an untouchable top level star in WWE.

Ryback reportedly met with Vince McMahon yesterday afternoon about renewing his contract, which expires this summer. Ryback apparently was not happy with the offer which was presented, with Meltzer adding the two sides were very far apart on money. The discussion ended with McMahon suggesting that Ryback go home, to which Ryback agreed.

Ryback also seemed to take somewhat of a shot at his current spot in WWE when he wore a “pre-show stopper†belt as part of his WWE Payback ring gear.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Ryback values himself highly which isn't a bad thing in my mind. IMO they ruined Ryback's run when he had his winning streak and then Cena got injured and there were no baby faces so Ryback had to go against CM Punk and lose his streak because Punk had the streak of his own with his title reign.

Ultimately, that was the worst for Ryback and they just turned him into a jobber. He's a huge dude, he should not be a jobber. I don't mind a guy that doesn't like when he's a jobber.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I dislike Rybotch, but this is another example of WWE being incapable of actually manufacturing stars.

Ryback has more charisma than Reigns, fits Vince's outdated ideal of a star and yet he gets the "sorry nothing" creative treatment. Seriously, there's been points where Ryback shined; when he was "The big guy" his bully stuff, the tweet delete phase. Every so often he did a thing (like the Punk gesture or the "pre showstopper" stuff that shows the guy could probably be a solid upper mid card talent, that could probably get over if given a chance and if they booked him properly.

I imagine the Punk thing was in retaliation for the contract too. Admirable, but stupid.

I won't really miss him since WWE hasn't given me a reason to, but this is just another in the long line of mistakes.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
no "Feed me more" jokes?

I don't hate the guy. I don't dislike him. I respect he is trying to get more money, we all would in his spot.

That said...

Enjoy your Indy and Japan tours. There was a guy named AJ that went that path vs taking less than what he knew he was worth. He then went out and proved it.

If Ryback thinks he is worth more, he can go prove it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I dislike Rybotch, but this is another example of WWE being incapable of actually manufacturing stars.

Ryback has more charisma than Reigns, fits Vince's outdated ideal of a star and yet he gets the "sorry nothing" creative treatment. Seriously, there's been points where Ryback shined; when he was "The big guy" his bully stuff, the tweet delete phase. Every so often he did a thing (like the Punk gesture or the "pre showstopper" stuff that shows the guy could probably be a solid upper mid card talent, that could probably get over if given a chance and if they booked him properly.

I imagine the Punk thing was in retaliation for the contract too. Admirable, but stupid.

I won't really miss him since WWE hasn't given me a reason to, but this is just another in the long line of mistakes.

Ryback literally has all of the tools that Vince likes. Big and muscly with an over catchphrase that actually has some projectable charisma when he's being the smart-ass heel. But the things that are detrimental to him prevent him from getting pushes and prevent him from really going to that next level. He's got too many similarities to past performers that he can't really create his own identity. He looks like Goldberg in an RVD outfit. It's something he's never gotten past and that's because he's never gotten to a point where he can definitively say he's a better wrestler than Goldberg (even though he is) and point to something to put that to bed. If Ryback could work even just half as well as DB or DZ, he'd be a superstar and he'd get past all that but he can't. He had improved a lot more than people are willing to credit him for but he's just not a standout in anything to get him over the hump.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Off the top of my head I honestly couldn't tell you what his finisher is. The meat hook clothesline? I certainly won't miss him, I fast forward anytime I hear his music.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I mean, in the wrestling business you kind of have to have a higher opinion of yourself than reality, but Ryback has done nothing to back his higher opinion of himself up with the exception of a few one-liners here and there, but for the most part, being a reckless, boring oaf.

If Vince is flat out telling him to go home if he isn't happy with the money offer and is willing to pay him to sit at home and ride the contract out, I think it shows just how valuable Vince thinks you are to the company. I don't think Vince is going to meet Ryback's demands because he's expendable, so if Ryback wants to stick around with the company and collect a nice paycheck, he'll have to crawl back with his tail between his legs lirl.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I kind of like Ryback, not gonna lie. He seems to have a sense of humor although he obviously carries a huge chip on his shoulder.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
I never could take Ryback seriously due to those get teeth...

...and ears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad