Ryan Whitney

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
I was looking at is stats from the BU site, they look good to me, but i was wondering if anyone has seen him play and if so how does he look this year...Is he close to the NHL ?

Thank's

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
CRAZY_FAN said:
I was looking at is stats from the BU site, they look good to me, but i was wondering if anyone has seen him play and if so how does he look this year...Is he close to the NHL ?

Thank's

I think he's close. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that he will forego his senior year and turn pro, provided there is an AHL/NHL next season.

His numbers are good and I know he scored a hat-trick recently. He will be no less than a #2 dman, IMO. And, I also believe that he will be more productive as a pro than he is right now because he thinks the game and sees the ice at a much higher level than most of his peers in college.

He has many great attributes: phenomenal skater, amazing passer, great size, plays physically, is creative and has excellent puck skills. But his single greatest attributes, IMO, are his vision of the ice, and his ability to see through and pass the puck through traffic right on the tape.

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

I could be bias, but when I watch the games I think Dan Spang looks better, ALTHOUGH!! Whitney has really turned it his game up this year, he has huge upside.

Penguins would be wise to take it slow with this one. Still has some work to do. I'de say let him finish out his senior year, and put him in the NHL after that, if he still looks lost, dont force it and put him in the AHL. But not to long, He's going to be there #1 defensman by the time he's 27 IMO, over Orpik.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
I could be bias, but when I watch the games I think Dan Spang looks better, ALTHOUGH!! Whitney has really turned it his game up this year, he has huge upside.

Penguins would be wise to take it slow with this one. Still has some work to do. I'de say let him finish out his senior year,.
I agree with this. Too often kids, especially college kids, are rushed into the NHL simply because they were high draft picks. Guys like Malone, Leopold, etc. seem to have benefited from staying the full 4 years.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I've seen Whitney quite a bit already this season. While there's no doubt in my mind that he's phenonemal on the offensive side, it's his DEFENSIVE side that I'd be worried about.

I caught BU most recently playing in that great weekend series last week vs. Minnesota. As good as he was offensively, he was horrendous (or darn near it) defensively. He made a few defensive mistakes when he jumping into the plays because he wasn't paying much attention to the Gophers players who were trailing the play that snuck in behind him. Earlier in the season, I caught the matchup vs. Boston College where he was losing the one-on-one with the Eagles forwards. (one play I recall involved one of the Eaves brothers....can't remember off-hand which one).

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Sure Whitney has to learn the defensive game, but I think he should be doing this at the AHL or NHL level. He's got the skills, size, and strength to make the jump, and I think having a 70-80 game schedule will help him develop his game faster.

I think he is ready to make the jump to the AHL next season. I think he should play there under a great coach in Therien who will get the best out of him, and after a year, should be ready to jump into the NHL as a top-4 guy.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
As far as potential go, this guy's is through the roof. He's seriously talented. But between the ears, I was not sold.

I've heard all sorts of comparisons, mainly a few Chris Pronger ones. From what I have seen and the stories I read on the kid, he reminds me a bit of enigmatic Vladimir Malakhov.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
His biggest problem seems to be keeping an even keel, even when things aren't going his way. I get the feeling that he gets down on himself and only rarely plays to his potential.

A guy that's 6'4" with the kind of mobility that he has will almost assuredly play in the NHL though.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
jmelm said:
I think he's close. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that he will forego his senior year and turn pro, provided there is an AHL/NHL next season.

AHL you don't have to worry about, they've already said they're playing next year no matter what.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Whitney is having a solid year but I still think the one Pens D-man to look out for is Noah Welch. Oilerschick back me up on this one...
As far as potential goes, Whitney will win that one every time. Realized potential IMO, is going to go to Welch.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Personally, I'd like to see him finish college. Especially as a defensemen, we don't need to rush him along.

If anything, bring him to Wilkes Barre and bring him along slowly. I'd talking a transition here of 3 years at least. The Pens are in no hurry and this guy has a lot of talent - he's just going to need a little time I think.

Getting him under Therrien is a good thing, though. I just hope he can stay here for at least a few years before an NHL team picks him up. So maybe they get him to Wilkes Barre next year and get him playing under Therrien who is an excellent communicator and can help Whitney. Same goes for Welch, although I think it's almost a given he'll take his Harvard degree.

Defense is a hard position to adjust to, and with guys like Whitney and Welch, who have good potential, the Pens need to be cautious and take it slowly. They aren't going anywhere for a few years at least, making sure things go smoothly for some of their prospects turning pro should be a big priority, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad