Ryan Whitney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I've noticed that, after a tough start, Whitney has whittled his plus/minus down to -1, which is pretty good all things considered. He doesn't have alot of points, but it looks like he's taking care of things better in his own end.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yup he had a tough start. I'm hoping that he can get the coaching he needs because he has some great skill. He still reminds me alot of Tom Poti. He's tall, uses a long stick, makes some amazing passes, great skater and a very good shot. He also has the down-side of Poti. He's soft, forces passes, and (while he doesn't get caught rushing the puck) he gets caught as the second D-man in a corner or behind the net. IMO he tries to do to much and his mistakes are very correctable. Keep an eye out for him in the second half of the year. I think that he'll be a little bit more settled in by then and we can get a better evaluation of his game.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Rabid Ranger said:
I've noticed that, after a tough start, Whitney has whittled his plus/minus down to -1, which is pretty good all things considered. He doesn't have alot of points, but it looks like he's taking care of things better in his own end.

He was a -1 last night, so he's -2 now. But yeah, seems like he's been playing pretty well. I'd watch for him to get alot stronger as the season progresses.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
#66 said:
Yup he had a tough start. I'm hoping that he can get the coaching he needs because he has some great skill. He still reminds me alot of Tom Poti. He's tall, uses a long stick, makes some amazing passes, great skater and a very good shot. He also has the down-side of Poti. He's soft, forces passes, and (while he doesn't get caught rushing the puck) he gets caught as the second D-man in a corner or behind the net. IMO he tries to do to much and his mistakes are very correctable. Keep an eye out for him in the second half of the year. I think that he'll be a little bit more settled in by then and we can get a better evaluation of his game.

Good call. Poti is exactly who he reminds me of as well. The good news for Pens fans is that perhaps they can get a player like York in return :snide:

bruins4777*

I think its just the pressure thats gotten to whitney. I mean he got 10 points in 20 games as a rookie in the playoffs for the baby pens last year, which i thought was VERY impressive the way he smoothly handled the puck made regular outlet passes and such. I have yet to see him this year, but i was very high on him after i saw him in college and with the baby pens last year.

I really think he can be a future no.1 dman and move way past poti. He'll get past that soft stage and bad head soon enough. I just think he had all these expectations on his shoulders and he just reacted badly. He needs more poise to me.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
bruins4777 said:
I think its just the pressure thats gotten to whitney. I mean he got 10 points in 20 games as a rookie in the playoffs for the baby pens last year, which i thought was VERY impressive the way he smoothly handled the puck made regular outlet passes and such. I have yet to see him this year, but i was very high on him after i saw him in college and with the baby pens last year.

I really think he can be a future no.1 dman and move way past poti. He'll get past that soft stage and bad head soon enough. I just think he had all these expectations on his shoulders and he just reacted badly. He needs more poise to me.

I don't think its the pressure. He was parachuted into the PO last year and probably pretty much allowed to play his game. I mean how much can you focus on working on a guy in the PO?

This year Therrien and co. are working on him. It may throw him off a bit right now, but he'll be much better for the long run.

I think its reasonable to say his potential is to be a #2 type D-man. Its expected he'll be in the Pen's top pairing for years to come, and I think he will live up to that.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
the whole team is playing much better than they were the first few games.

m.a. fleury is also playing awesome for anyone interested.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
This will be unpopular amongst us Pens fans but Id much rather have Noah Welch than Ryan Whitney (and a few other Dmen drafted behind him). I am also starting to think Goligoski will be the better player of the two in the long run.
As I said, it is probably unpopular, but that is exactly as I see it.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Legionnaire said:
No. IMO he will only be a 3/4
No...the question was his UPSIDE. He may obtain only a 3/4 but he has the upside of a #1. Whether he reaches that is doubtful and debateable and I am the guys biggest critic amongst the Pens fans. But to say his UPSIDE is only a 3/4 is totally false.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
stardog said:
No...the question was his UPSIDE. He may obtain only a 3/4 but he has the upside of a #1. Whether he reaches that is doubtful and debateable and I am the guys biggest critic amongst the Pens fans. But to say his UPSIDE is only a 3/4 is totally false.

In fantasy land, yes it is false. The way I see it, he'll be lucky to be a 3 dman in the mould of Poti or Sopel.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Legionnaire said:
In fantasy land, yes it is false. The way I see it, he'll be lucky to be a 3 dman in the mould of Poti or Sopel.
I've always envisioned him to be similar to Paul Mara, but I haven't actually seen him play. I guess Poti and Mara are pretty much from the same mold, though.

It seems the U.S. is putting out a lot of defensemen like that, Jillson is another big guy with good offensive skills, but no head for the game, except he's a lot more physical. Komisarek could be another (I still have hope for him).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad