Ryan Whitney about to sign with Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
The Penguins today will find out whether they will get the top pick in the 2004 Entry draft today, and also finalize a deal to bring a former first rounder and top prospect -- Ryan Whitney -- into the fold.

The Penguins and the defenseman whom the team drafted with its first pick (fifth overall) in 2002 have agreed in principal to an entry-level three-year deal, a source told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Monday. He is expected to sign today and could join Wilkes-Barre/Scranton shortly, although those plans are not firm.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/penguinslive/s_187994.html

Thought for sure he was staying on as a senior.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Wow, I am one of those that thought he had a decent year this year, but even so I would think staying in school would be better for him. Then again maybe not, as he hasn't seemed to improve his defensive game too much there over the past two years. Well, he can say hello to the AHL imho, and it will probably be a couple years before we see him in the NHL.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
i'm sure it's more that he may not be able to get the kind of money with the new CBA that he'll get as it stands right now.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
wasn't ray bourque supposed to be a coach at BU next year? i wouldn't have minded him staying there if that's the case.

like orpik, i'd expect a good amount of ahl for him. 1 possibly 2 years.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pens are kind of loaded in the pure-offensive-defenseman department these days, so Whitney probably won't get the call until he rounds out his defense, which is good.

He'll likely step into the baby Pens lineup. I don't know how the playoffs would work for him, though. Maybe they put his name on the playoff roster with an asterisk, the way they did with Nemec.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
If he signs, the Pens will have added Whitney, Koltsov, Kostopoulos, and Orpik to the playoff-bound WBS Pens (Nemec isn't eligible to play in the postseason) in one fell swoop. I'd imagine they could be a contender.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
tom_servo said:
If he signs, the Pens will have added Whitney, Koltsov, Kostopoulos, and Orpik to the playoff-bound WBS Pens (Nemec isn't eligible to play in the postseason) in one fell swoop. I'd imagine they could be a contender.

Why isn't Nemec eligible?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What about Malone though? He didn't play last season.

Or it could be because Nemec and Malone are (were) only on tryout deals. I don't know if those can extend into the post season.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Jacobv2 said:

Or it could be because Nemec and Malone are (were) only on tryout deals. I don't know if those can extend into the post season.

I have no idea, quite honestly. Though you may have nailed it with the tryout contracts.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
tom_servo said:

if whitney signs a real contract then i don't think he can be added to the AHL playoff roster. my understanding is that as a technicality a player joining the ahl club after their junior or college season is over must sign a tryout deal to be added to playoff roster.

that is atleast how it is being explained in the case of RJ Umberger saying that since he refuses to sign a tryout deal, that even if he signed he wouldn't be able to play for hartford.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Servo--Well he was close anyways...Officially, Nemec was signed to an 'amateur tryout contract'. Why they're were interested in keeping his amateur status is beyond me, but my guess is it is the same type of deal as Malone got last year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jacobv2 said:

Malone was signed to a three game tryout contract, so he wasn't eligible.

Whitney would be signing a full-fledged contract...so I dunno.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
wasn't ray bourque supposed to be a coach at BU next year? i wouldn't have minded him staying there if that's the case.

Ray Bourque joining the BU coaching staff? That's a new one on me. I haven't heard ANYTHING about that one and I keep up with alot of what goes on with BU. I knew that there was talk circulating about Whitney leaving BU, before the Pens Live site broke the story, but haven't seen/heard ANYTHING on Bourque joining the coaching staff.

FYI, his son Chris has (verbally)committed to playing for BU. If memory serves me correctly, he would start this fall. First, he needs to sign an NLOI (National Letter of Intent) to make it official.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
from the Pens site:

Malone also weighed in on Ryan Whitney, the Penguins first round choice (fifth overall) in the 2002 Entry Draft who signed with the club earlier in the day. The 6-4, 202 pound defenseman led Boston University with 25 points (9+16) during his junior season, and is forgoing his final year of college eligibility.

“He is a nice addition to our club,†said Malone. “He may need some time in Wilkes-Barre or may step in next year, I don’t know. It’s nice to get him locked into a contract.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad