OT: Ryan Suter

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Didn't want to derail the Faber thread, and all the older Suter threads seem locked.

I was curious about some comments about Suter in the Faber thread, that he had a "garbage" personality.

I always though he was a model teammate; yes, perhaps part of the old boys country club with Koivu and Parise, but is there actually anything to the claims he was a douchebag in the locker room?

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Didn't want to derail the Faber thread, and all the older Suter threads seem locked.

I was curious about some comments about Suter in the Faber thread, that he had a "garbage" personality.

I always though he was a model teammate; yes, perhaps part of the old boys country club with Koivu and Parise, but is there actually anything to the claims he was a douchebag in the locker room?
Yeah. I don't think there's ever been anything to substantiate those claims one way or another other than hearsay and vague implacations.

Reactions: 57special

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He was in the owners ear and when things weren't going well in his eyes, he'd go over everyone's head.
It created conflict between him an other players. I believe Parise also was said to be in the owner's ear on things as well.

Reactions: MK9

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I never got the impression Suter was into mentoring the younger guys, or really interacting with them unless they were elite. And based on that Arnott article, I wouldn't be surprised if he was always going to the coach or owner asking about his ice time, pairings, etc.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He was in the owners ear and when things weren't going well in his eyes, he'd go over everyone's head.
It created conflict between him an other players. I believe Parise also was said to be in the owner's ear on things as well.
Who was the one that was trying to get Brodin traded for a center? I seem to remember that being a thing.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
We shouldn’t be blaming Parise or Suter for their attitudes, entitlement and roster influence while here. Leipold and GMCF let it all happen. They werent signing here without those conditions. Leipold deserves all the blame. To be fair he did go across the grain once he realizing it failed, in hiring GMBG. IMO swinging from one extreme to another isn’t the way to run a sport franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 63firebird

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
We shouldn’t be blaming Parise or Suter for their attitudes, entitlement and roster influence while here. Leipold and GMCF let it all happen. They werent signing here without those conditions. Leipold deserves all the blame. To be fair he did go across the grain once he realizing it failed, in hiring GMBG. IMO swinging from one extreme to another isn’t the way to run a sport franchise.
Whatever.gif

• Haha
Reactions: NHL1674

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don't recall that at all... (doesn't mean it wasn't being tried)
I recall it fairly well. The trade rumors at the time were around Ryan Johansen for Jonas Brodin+ or Seth Jones. Russo reported on a divide in the locker room during that time, and the thing that was causing the divide was that some players actively wanted Brodin traded for a center. He didn't name names, but did say it was a "veteran" vs "youth" divide, and heavily implied it was Parise and/or Suter.

I don't think it's even been confirmed exactly who was involved, but I'd put a meaningful amount of money down that Dumba was on the side of not trading Jonas, and that Suter was on the side of trading him.

Reactions: TaLoN

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
That is so true. The contracts and all the entitlement BS comes from the owner and GM. Can't blame them for signing a guaranteed $100,000,000 contract .

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I agree that there's plenty of places to spread the blame around, but I can't entirely let an individual off the hook for their own actions. Their entitlement is THEIR entitlement. It's in that very word, "their". These aren't 4 year old who don't know better, they're grown men who didn't keep their egos in check. Though, I think one of them was worse than the other in that regard, but that's just my speculation so I won't elaborate.

Reactions: TaLoN and NHL1674

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
That is so true. The contracts and all the entitlement BS comes from the owner and GM. Can't blame them for signing a guaranteed $100,000,000 contract .
I don't think they're nearly free of blame. But I also think this is true - the owner/GM just invested $200M in these guys - they're going to listen to them.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I recall it fairly well. The trade rumors at the time were around Ryan Johansen for Jonas Brodin+ or Seth Jones. Russo reported on a divide in the locker room during that time, and the thing that was causing the divide was that some players actively wanted Brodin traded for a center. He didn't name names, but did say it was a "veteran" vs "youth" divide, and heavily implied it was Parise and/or Suter.

I don't think it's even been confirmed exactly who was involved, but I'd put a meaningful amount of money down that Dumba was on the side of not trading Jonas, and that Suter was on the side of trading him.
Yeah, now that the details are brought up... I do recall!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There were rumors, but no hard facts. Suter certainly wasn't in the category of E Kane, or even P Kane, as a person. My brief, and 2nd hand off ice knowledge of him was that he was a decent person. AFAIK he was never in trouble off ice, had substance or abuse issues, etc. What he did do was play enormous minutes, and top 5-10 D for this team for years. Up until his serious foot injury he was a peerless defender. That is fact. The rest is conjecture, usually with nothing but vague "feelings" to back it up.

Not everyone on a winning team has to be buddy buddy. As long as someone isn't a toxic ahole who actively tries to undermine the team, there is room for different personalities, as long as they come together on the ice.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Brought in his own power play coach in Adam Oates if I remember rightly. That's brazen and kind of sketchy as well. I can pretty close to guarantee he doesn't pull that shit with a vet coach and get away with it. He did it to Yeo because 'he could'. If anyone thinks that didn't create a mountain of friction with management, coaching and the other players, they're delusional or willfully ignorant.

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i still think IF we could have beat him into submission suter would have continued to be a good effective D man saving us 7.5 mill cap h3ll hit.

LachWild925

Apr 11, 2023

To me this is utterly insane. Don't know if I would be even willing to celebrate any successes if this were ongoing in a locker room I was a part of. Correct me if I'm wrong, P+S and Brods played another 4 years together? That locker room must've had toxicity levels of Chernobyl.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00