The Players' Tribune: Ryan Suter: For My Dad

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Damn that was a great read. I had no idea Ryan's father was a part of the Miracle on Ice. And yet he stayed true to his roots the entire time.

Much respect Mr. Suter.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I get torn on Suter. I know he left Nashville to be closer to his dad, and I totally understand that, and respect that. What I don't like though is the way he left Nashville, the way he led Poile on, the way he lied, and make no mistake, he lied to Poile and there was no reason too, David Poile isn't anything if he's not reasonable... As a Dad, though, I teach my kids to never judge a person on a single mistake, to look at the person in whole. If we learn from our mistakes, they're no longer mistakes, I hope his departure here, is now a life lesson for him.

Ironically, the only hockey Bob Suter played after that Miracle Team, was here in Nashville, with the Nashville South Stars.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Oh, so Ryan isn't the son of Gary Suter. Somehow, I've always thought he's the son of Gary.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I get torn on Suter. I know he left Nashville to be closer to his dad, and I totally understand that, and respect that. What I don't like though is the way he left Nashville, the way he led Poile on, the way he lied, and make no mistake, he lied to Poile and there was no reason too, David Poile isn't anything if he's not reasonable... As a Dad, though, I teach my kids to never judge a person on a single mistake, to look at the person in whole. If we learn from our mistakes, they're no longer mistakes, I hope his departure here, is now a life lesson for him.

Ironically, the only hockey Bob Suter played after that Miracle Team, was here in Nashville, with the Nashville South Stars.

how did he lie to poile?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
He told Poile he was just seeing what was on the market and Poile would have every opportunity to match the offer at the end of the season. That didn't happen, he talked to and signed with Minnesota, Poile found out after the fact, like everyone else. He also made Poile jump through hoops at the trade deadline to show "commitment to winning" which Poile did as we were the biggest buyers at the tdl that season.

Poile was visibly upset in his press conference and called Suter out on it...

Some of that is on Poile for being gullible too.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Yeah, my opinion of Suter really soured after that whole debacle and I absolutely get why he went to Minnesota but he could have handled it better. That said, that was a great article, especially the part about the funeral.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Great read. Bob Suter sounds like he was an awesome person.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
He told Poile he was just seeing what was on the market and Poile would have every opportunity to match the offer at the end of the season. That didn't happen, he talked to and signed with Minnesota, Poile found out after the fact, like everyone else. He also made Poile jump through hoops at the trade deadline to show "commitment to winning" which Poile did as we were the biggest buyers at the tdl that season.

Poile was visibly upset in his press conference and called Suter out on it...

Some of that is on Poile for being gullible too.

He also said at the beginning of that season that Poile had to show that he was committed to making the Preds a contender. Right after Poile had acquired Mike Fisher, and then made a huge gamble at the deadline to bring in Andrei Kostistyn and bring Radulov back.

He also said he didn't want to negotiate during the season because it would be a distraction... Then followed it up with what you said, promised Poile an opportunity to match whatever offer he got and then he didn't give him that opportunity.

He could have told Poile his intentions privately at any point and I'm certain Poile would have kept tight lipped about it, and played it professionally in the media. Especially after the trade deadline.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
It's still weird to me that people get upset that Suter did what literally every professional player does. Yes, every one.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad