Player Discussion: Ryan Strome

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Fair points, but you can't take the shine off Jeff's ability to point well in the AHL and not have it translate to the NHL. My point is that happens. Strome may be of that mold. I don't want to trade him for a bag of pucks and would like to see what someone other than Cappy can do with him but he is running out of time.

Not many guys come into the AHL and score over a PPG rate as a 20 year old in the AHL(probably because most the guys that can do that will make the NHL soon enough but that is a moot point)

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
As a 21 year old Tambellini scored at a PPG rate(Strome did a 1.3 PPG rate at 20). Beyond that Scoring was higher during Tambellini's rookie year and Tambellini also played for a better team.

But beyond those thing yeah that is the exact same comparison

Maybe Strome will be as good as Jason Krog or Keith Aucoin some day.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Another bad comparison since those guys started producing at a good rate later in their careers(not 20 year olds)

Huh? Are you sure you have the right Aucoin? Keith Aucoin never cracked 20 points in the NHL. Never really even got that close.

Krogg had two average seasons with Anaheim, but didn't get much NHL time at all the rest of his career. I fail to see how either one of their stat lines couldbe associated with the adjective "good" unless we are comparing them to some guy working at Subway.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Here is how I look at who I would pick. If I am a team who is a playoff contender looking to improve my team's chances next season I easily choose Nelson. If I am a lottery pick team looking for the home run pick(especially one looking for center depth) I take Strome since I do believe despite his not so great past 2 seasons he has a much higher ceiling. Basically teams like Boston or Pittsburgh would be smarter taking Nelson, and teams like Arizona or Vancouver would be smarter to go with Strome

In the case of Vegas they would be stupid not taking Strome which would give them a 1-2 punch up the middle

Yeah, this makes sense. I tend to agree. There is a tiny argument there for Vegas taking Nelson. I guess a lot of it depends on the unknown (other teams protection lists). Might be some other centers out there more inviting, who knows. I think Vegas could do a lot worse with other teams, but will probably be pretty satisfied with either Nelson or Strome from us. Gonna sting either way.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Huh? Are you sure you have the right Aucoin? Keith Aucoin never cracked 20 points in the NHL. Never really even got that close.

Krogg had two average seasons with Anaheim, but didn't get much NHL time at all the rest of his career. I fail to see how either one of their stat lines couldbe associated with the adjective "good" unless we are comparing them to some guy working at Subway.

If you follow the discussion I made a comment that Strome had an amazing season as a 20 year old scoring at a 1.3PPG which you generally don't see much in the AHL(ie first year players scoring at such a high rate).

People have given me comparisons for guys who scored alot in the AHL but I don't think they are a good comparison because it wasn't as high as Strome or they were significantly older when they had those high PPG rates

In terms of other players in recent history who I can think of having a similar PPG ratio to Strome as a 20 year old, Kucherov(same year as Strome was 1.4) and Nylander(technically it was his 2nd year but he was 19 at the time had 1.2)

Last edited:

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I remember following Strome in the AHL. I couldn't understand why some guy named Anders Lee seemed to be performing 'almost as good', but I didn't know a great deal about him, it must've been some AHL anomaly or something. Now the overall number 5 pick isn't worthy of carrying the 152nd pick's jock strap. For every Strome that's drafted, there's a Scheifele close behind. Trade the pick, get some proven talent for immediate impact, and maybe even hit the jackpot in the later rounds.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

If Strome doesn't improve his all around game or at the very least improve some part of his game
he will soon enough find himself playing in the ahl . Then he can challenge the career totals of guys like Krog and Aucoin. If he has one more season of blah we should not re up him as a RFA for the money that it would take. A Qualifying offer would be a lot for a player that contributes so little.
With that said 24 - 28 - 52 in 17/18 would change everything.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I don't know if Strome is going to radically improve his game, or if he is going to need a change of scenery to blossom, but Lee is also three years older and obviously more physically advanced and was further along in his development. I also have a feeling that the most important opinion about Strome's chances will come from Doug Weight. Whatever he decides is fine with me.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Don't know why, but I have a strange feeling Strome is gonna be traded, maybe in a package for a 1st line wing. We are stacked at center. And I feel Strome is who he is, I don't think he's going to all of a sudden become a stud. I have a feeling Snow is gonna be quite active at the draft and maybe even July 1st. I think he's fighting for his job and needs to prove himself to his new bosses.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Don't know why, but I have a strange feeling Strome is gonna be traded, maybe in a package for a 1st line wing. We are stacked at center. And I feel Strome is who he is, I don't think he's going to all of a sudden become a stud. I have a feeling Snow is gonna be quite active at the draft and maybe even July 1st. I think he's fighting for his job and needs to prove himself to his new bosses.

I wouldn't be surprised if Snow makes a few trades to try clear up expansion draft casualities such as Strome or Nelson so by time the expansion draft comes around we will lose one of Bailey, Cizikas or Hickey

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If you follow the discussion I made a comment that Strome had an amazing season as a 20 year old scoring at a 1.3PPG which you generally don't see much in the AHL(ie first year players scoring at such a high rate).

People have given me comparisons for guys who scored alot in the AHL but I don't think they are a good comparison because it wasn't as high as Strome or they were significantly older when they had those high PPG rates

In terms of other players in recent history who I can think of having a similar PPG ratio to Strome as a 20 year old, Kucherov(same year as Strome was 1.4) and Nylander(technically it was his 2nd year but he was 19 at the time had 1.2)

Okay, that's accurate, but does that suddenly mean that what you said about Aucoin and Krogg having success later in their career is accurate? Or, were you saying they had success in the AHL later in their career?

Anyway, I'm not going to freak out about Strome too much. He could very well have success in the future. I've said it before and I say it again....just because a past Islander goes on to have success on a different team DOES NOT immediately prove he would have ever had success with the Islanders.

Bertuzzi was an absolute bum with the Isles and I don't care that he went on to be successful with another club because I'm pretty confident he would have continued to suck on the Island. Yes, that could be indicative of front office and coaching issues, but it doesn't change the present of that situation. The same thing could happen with Strome, but I'm not going to lament it too much because this is an expansion draft. It's not like we are ditching him off in some trade (yet). We have to lose somebody, so if he gets chosen I can't really fault management for that because there certainly isn't enough evidence to support protecting him. 1 good season isn't enough. It's promising, but not enough at this point to seal his roster spot.

There is a such thing as headcases. Perhaps he got this far on talent and is now stumbling because he isn't disciplined enough mentally to handle the rigors and speed of the NHL. Not saying that's what it is, just saying it wouldn't be the first time. Although history says Strome could still be okay, let's not forget there are some players that were successful their rookie season and fell off the map for one reason or another. Here's a list. Many don't apply to Strome, but the two that do (modern era players) are Colin Greening and Kyle Wellwood (although Wellwood had a Kanesque (both of them) reputation so there are extenuating circumstances). http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-15-nhl-players-who-fell-apart-after-their-rookie-season/ Point is, it does happen, rarely.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Strome doesn't improve his all around game or at the very least improve some part of his game
he will soon enough find himself playing in the ahl . Then he can challenge the career totals of guys like Krog and Aucoin. If he has one more season of blah we should not re up him as a RFA for the money that it would take. A Qualifying offer would be a lot for a player that contributes so little.
With that said 24 - 28 - 52 in 17/18 would change everything.

I think you are setting unrealistic expectations for 18 at this point-
He may lose First team PP time (not like that did much to his stat line) to 66 and 6.

I'd be happy with at least a 40+ Production from 18 next season.

I would say a break out performance of 50+ (Roughly 20-30-50) next season would be amazing!
And if you are still a strome believer your future RW 1 and RW 2 would be 66 and 18.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I just find that whatever worked for him in J.r or ahl isnt cutting the mustard here .I believe isles were counting on him to take a big step last year and the gamble didnt pay off .

his style of fading back to check his offensive options once receiving a pass doesnt work in the nhl as often as it did in chl/ahl because the nhl is a notch faster-sadly ; thats his bread and butter move .He's probably talented enough to be coached into simply being a well rounded player like many other offensive talented forwards from the chl have done .

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I just find that whatever worked for him in J.r or ahl isnt cutting the mustard here .I believe isles were counting on him to take a big step last year and the gamble didnt pay off .

his style of fading back to check his offensive options once receiving a pass doesnt work in the nhl as often as it did in chl/ahl because the nhl is a notch faster-sadly ; thats his bread and butter move .He's probably talented enough to be coached into simply being a well rounded player like many other offensive talented forwards from the chl have done .

The last TWO years

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
The last TWO years

yes I agree but at least in 2015/16 he was coming off his 5o point season & isles still had Franz/Okposo to insulate the newbies to an extent .

in 2016-17 , he was coming off his sophmore slump season and franz/okposo left

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's time to try and get an asset for him.

If you can't, and he's with the team in camp, he shouldn't be anywhere near the top six or first powerplay unit.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
yes I agree but at least in 2015/16 he was coming off his 5o point season & isles still had Franz/Okposo to insulate the newbies to an extent .

in 2016-17 , he was coming off his sophmore slump season and franz/okposo left

Yup. I blame Snow for trusting that he would improve and help the team. He didnt. Snow was wrong both times. Kind of like how he trusted Donovan would take over Streit's spot. LOLOLOLOL.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Yup. I blame Snow for trusting that he would improve and help the team. He didnt. Snow was wrong both times. Kind of like how he trusted Donovan would take over Streit's spot. LOLOLOLOL.

If we're talking about Strome specifically, also blame Snow for counting on him to flourish in a forced marriage between Capuano & Strome, which apparent to many, was rocky for some reason or another. It is your job to place your coaches/players in the best position to succeed, and in regards to Cappy-Strome, one or the other had to be moved. And wouldn't you know it, once a move happened, the player was better off.

And I'm not saying that the better off Strome can be counted on to carry the 2C position moving forward.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
If we're talking about Strome specifically, also blame Snow for counting on him to flourish in a forced marriage between Capuano & Strome, which apparent to many, was rocky for some reason or another. It is your job to place your coaches/players in the best position to succeed, and in regards to Cappy-Strome, one or the other had to be moved. And wouldn't you know it, once a move happened, the player was better off.

And I'm not saying that the better off Strome can be counted on to carry the 2C position moving forward.

Agreed about the coach/player thing. I just don't feel that Strome has been good at pretty much anything since his first year. Im sure there are many reason for it, but IMO if the right deal comes along for a player that can help I wouldn't hesitate to move him.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
What would you guys want for Ryan from a Sharks perspective?
Player and prospect?

Dillon/Braun + yound D prospect

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
What would you guys want for Ryan from a Sharks perspective?
Player and prospect?

Dillon/Braun + yound D prospect

NYI is trying to shed a defenseman or two before the expansion draft, not acquire one.

I think NYI ends up holding onto Strome in hopes that Vegas takes him in the expansion draft, as he has really lost his place on the team.

At the draft, maybe a top 60 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad