Injury Report: Ryan Strome (Broken Wrist)

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Well, that stinks. I guess it is JT-Nelson-Beauvillier-Cizikas-Quine down the middle the rest of the way. I wonder if MDC will be recalled for forward depth and/or to play in the top-9?

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
People can ***** about him all they want, and probably fairly at times, but this is a tough loss. An offensive threat in our middle 6 is gone without much to replace him. People should ***** about the lack of Garth Snow's trade deadline appearance. A Radim Vrabta or Valterri Filppula would look a heck of a lot better now than it would have at the time.

Ho-Sang cam eup and sparked the lineup> Time to try it with Dal Colle. Can't worry about him being ready or not or still too weak. We can't afford to have BRacken Kearns or Stephen Gionta in any games. TBH I don't think we should see much of Quine or Prince once healthy either.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Thankfully after the next 2 games we play mostly bad teams. I doubt it'll matter in the end if we miss that we will say he was the reason why

Smith31

Feb 19, 2003
Westchester
Visit site
No loss. Prince /Quine bring as much, or even more than Strome considering Weight won't burn up a PP spot with #18 anymore.

I know he is 23 but Strome doesn't perform any particular skill at a top line level (speed, shot, etc). He has picked up his grit because I think he is seeing his career for what it will be. 3rd line center who can provide good offense from time to time.

On to Vegas....take Brock with you.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
No loss. Prince /Quine bring as much, or even more than Strome considering Weight won't burn up a PP spot with #18 anymore.

I know he is 23 but Strome doesn't perform any particular skill at a top line level (speed, shot, etc). He has picked up his grit because I think he is seeing his career for what it will be. 3rd line center who can provide good offense from time to time.

On to Vegas....take Brock with you.

It is bad enough that the Isles will probably lose one solid asset to expansion, no reason to give away two for nothing. And even though Nelson and Strome have their flaws, both are solid players the Isles have spent time developing.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
It is bad enough that the Isles will probably lose one solid asset to expansion, no reason to give away two for nothing. And even though Nelson and Strome have their flaws, both are solid players the Isles have spent time developing.

Both have completely plateaued. We can do better.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Strome has lost a step at a young age, it happens sometimes.. probably why some prospects never pan out... The game is too fast for him now, he would have to become an Ian Laperriere type forward.. one that was drafted high and became an agitator to maintain a career.

It is bad that he is injured, and I do feel bad for him, but Isles are better without him in the lineup, Quine is much faster than Strome and plays much better with Chimera, Chimera has not done much since Quine has been 13th...

Nelson is worth keeping because he has more skill.. and i do believe he hasn't played for a coach that has made him accountable in the NHL yet

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Both have completely plateaued. We can do better.

A team should always be looking to upgrade its overall talent level, however, they should not just give away two serviceable players for nothing in return. That is foolish. Worst case you trade them in a package to upgrade or just recoup some picks and refresh the pipeline down the line.

I like players like Barzal, JHS, Beauviller, MDC, etc. and they might be improvements on Nelson and Strome in the top-6, but "now" players like Strome and Nelson allow the Isles to let them develop organically. Let the prospects earn bigger roles on the ice then just shift Nelson or Strome to the bottom-6.

I would rather see Nelson and/or Strome form a strong third line, and give the Isles tertiary scoring punch, then jam in even more limited players like Quine or Prince. Nelson and Strome are still affordable and can be useful if used and coached correctly. Let's see what a real coaching staff can do then decide what is best for the team.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
A team should always be looking to upgrade its overall talent level, however, they should not just give away two serviceable players for nothing in return. That is foolish. Worst case you trade them in a package to upgrade or just recoup some picks and refresh the pipeline down the line.

I like players like Barzal, JHS, Beauviller, MDC, etc. and they might be improvements on Nelson and Strome in the top-6, but "now" players like Strome and Nelson allow the Isles to let them develop organically. Let the prospects earn bigger roles on the ice then just shift Nelson or Strome to the bottom-6.

I would rather see Nelson and/or Strome form a strong third line, and give the Isles tertiary scoring punch, then jam in even more limited players like Quine or Prince. Nelson and Strome are still affordable and can be useful if used and coached correctly. Let's see what a real coaching staff can do then decide what is best for the team.

Those 2 players are not smart defensive 3rd line players at all, I would like to lose one to expansion and then trade the other for futures, I would not mind this set up for next year, I include one FA signing because we need this player and it is not a "pie in the sky" type of player

Ladd/JT/Bailey
Lee/ABV/JHS
Chimera/Barzal or Quine****/Clutterbuck
Kulemin/Cizikas/Ryan White *****

***** I would have Barzal battle Quine in camp for the 3rd line center job

***** signing Ryan White makes a lot of sense based on the face that he can play hockey and fight... we don't have a fighter on this team and Shane Doan called White the best teammate he has ever played with... unless Strome can be the 4th line fighter I would rather have the dude that broke Matt Martin's nose

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
tough break for the kid.. I know many of us (myself included) have been tough on him this year and he has not lived up to expectations for many of us but you never want to see this happen. There were some flashes where he was paying better recently. I was upset to see some of the responses to Staple's twitter where people were applauding his injury. Despite some of the missteps this hurts our depth. He's only what 23? Still a long way to go for him.. Get well soon Ryan.

LongIslanders

Feb 28, 2017
I like Stromme and feel bad for the kid, but hopefully this opens up a spot for Ho-sang on the PP1. JT could use some help.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Thankfully after the next 2 games we play mostly bad teams. I doubt it'll matter in the end if we miss that we will say he was the reason why
Does it matter? Looking back to Carolina / Jets games – I'm more afraid of the Flyers and Devils than Pittsburgh and Nashville.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Does it matter? Looking back to Carolina / Jets games – I'm more afraid of the Flyers and Devils than Pittsburgh and Nashville.

There is something to that. We used to have great runs to finish out the season when our team wasn't so great. it's always easier to play when you have nothing to lose

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I like Stromme and feel bad for the kid, but hopefully this opens up a spot for Ho-sang on the PP1. JT could use some help.

Strome was already moved to PP2 last night. But for whatever reason, Ladd got his spot on PP1, which I imagine we'll continue to see since it technically did work. But hopefully Weight will soon see the folly of an all lefty PP unit, and move Ho-Sang (or even Pulock) there while we're still in contention.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Those 2 players are not smart defensive 3rd line players at all, I would like to lose one to expansion and then trade the other for futures, I would not mind this set up for next year, I include one FA signing because we need this player and it is not a "pie in the sky" type of player

Ladd/JT/Bailey
Lee/ABV/JHS
Chimera/Barzal or Quine****/Clutterbuck
Kulemin/Cizikas/Ryan White *****

***** I would have Barzal battle Quine in camp for the 3rd line center job

***** signing Ryan White makes a lot of sense based on the face that he can play hockey and fight... we don't have a fighter on this team and Shane Doan called White the best teammate he has ever played with... unless Strome can be the 4th line fighter I would rather have the dude that broke Matt Martin's nose

That would be an insane amount of pressure to put on Barzal and AB as the #2 and #3 center's (with Quine as the "safety net" behind them, which isn't much of a safety net in terms of upside) and the need of increased offense from JHS, a year older Chimera (not saying he won't be solid but he will be older) and Clutter in the top 9.

Plus the Isles depth would probably be compromised by losing two pivots. Could you imagine if JT got hurt for a period of time? Those center's would be below average and be a liability when competing against the Crosbys, Malkins, etc.

Unless the Isles were to significantly upgrade their defense or goaltending, to me the team would be even weaker than this year's team. If the Isles were to shed both Strome and Nelson, a player like Duchene should be brought in to offset the loss in skill along with Barzal and the rest of the youngsters.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
That would be an insane amount of pressure to put on Barzal and AB as the #2 and #3 center's (with Quine as the "safety net" behind them, which isn't much of a safety net in terms of upside) and the need of increased offense from JHS, a year older Chimera (not saying he won't be solid but he will be older) and Clutter in the top 9.

Plus the Isles depth would probably be compromised by losing two pivots. Could you imagine if JT got hurt for a period of time? Those center's would be below average and be a liability when competing against the Crosbys, Malkins, etc.

Unless the Isles were to significantly upgrade their defense or goaltending, to me the team would be even weaker than this year's team. If the Isles were to shed both Strome and Nelson, a player like Duchene should be brought in to offset the loss in skill along with Barzal and the rest of the youngsters.

I think losing Nelson and Strome clearly would be addition by subtraction.

Nelson is just not a winning hockey player, he exists therefore he is, picks his shifts. Strome is too slow already.. .. Guys like Moulson, PAP, Boyes etc... were victims of "not good enough to be top 6" but not defensive enough to be bottom 6.

Quine is a safety net and safe one... but the idea is that Beauvillier is a relentless player that seems to care about team preservation and winning more than any other Islander... he is the one that will come back and score after we give up a soft goal... I really was not sold on him at first, but he is a very mature 19 year old.

JHS is offense, we suffer with some defensive mishaps but he is going to be much better than Strome at 2nd line right wing.

Barzal as the #3 with Chimera and Clutter is a perfect fit,.. Clutter or Ryan White could be that 3rd line RW... either way, it is more than Strome will do, there will be physical play. Quine makes this teammates a lot better.. Lee, Ladd and Chimera found their scoring touch playing along side him, not a bad 13th forward to have.

If JT got hurt for a period of time, Brock nelson will not be the man to fill his shoes and Ryan Strome won't... if JT gets hurt, we are screwed regardless.

I think Duchene is very overrated and contributes to his team's lame play... not saying he is bad, but not giving up a lot of assets for him... Beau and JHS are going to bring it every shift... Lee on that line with them is going to work out well.

Ryan White is going to pot 10 goals this year, he may get more next year, he can play hockey and will make life easier for this team.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Prince/Quine better hope Seattle beats Tri City in the WHL playoffs...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad