Ryan Sproul

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
If this team is tied for last place today in the eastern conference, shouldn't Sproul be getting in every game here on out? :dunno:

He has to be a regular come next season.

What are your opinions on his future here?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
If this team is tied for last place today in the eastern conference, shouldn't Sproul be getting in every game here on out? :dunno:

He's not good. Has some flashes, but has been a bonehead since pros, and likely before that. He's a major liability. Reminds me of a more physical Kindl. Don't love his shot selection.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
He's not good. Has some flashes, but has been a bonehead since pros, and likely before that. He's a major liability. Reminds me of a more physical Kindl. Don't love his shot selection.

I agree, but with playing time maybe he can improve and be worth something to the future. And If not and he doesn't show enough? its not like we're making the playoffs anyways

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He probably should be in, we can see if he is making progress and quite frankly his poor decision making in our end only improves our lottery odds.

My guess is he will be as soon as Smith is dealt. Right now he is worse at hockey than the other guys we are playing, after the trade deadline he will likely have the 6th spot. My guess is the love affair with Sproul will plummet when you get to watch him for 20 straight games.

He has actually come a long ways, but he still needs to be better in his own end.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If Nelson is coaching this team next year I like his chances to become a contributor. If they bring Blashill back he needs to pull a Jurco and ask for a trade. If he's lucky he'll end up with a team that knows how to develop d-men.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I think he has a future here. It's not the most solid info, but before the Wings-Pens game they had Nick Lidstrom as a guest on swedish TV and he talked about Sproul; saying the Wings have high hopes for him. I wouldn't be surprised if Nick has enough contact with people in Wings management to know what he's talking about.

Important to recognize that there's an expansion draft coming. Sproul is a guy that they will be forced to expose to it. Limiting his icetime could be a way to try and sneak him through. I also think they wanted to showcase Smith before the TDL and we know Blashill isn't exactly the best when it comes to personnel decisions.

Hopefully he sees more games post TDL, but next season is the one where he shuld be given a big opportunity.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't think Sproul is an upgrade over Jakub Kindl. KH traded Kindl, hopefully he could get a 5th rounder for Sproul. Not sure anyone would bite, tho.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
If Nelson is coaching this team next year I like his chances to become a contributor. If they bring Blashill back he needs to pull a Jurco and ask for a trade. If he's lucky he'll end up with a team that knows how to develop d-men.

Eh this is what we said about blash. I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to any young defenders on this team contributing.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
One thing we know is he does have the size and toolbox.

Defensemen take longer to develop due to a limited number of positions per team. I just believe the more ice time he gets today will only benefit his game.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
In seeing Ryan play in Grand Rapids for 3 seasons, he was inconsistent. First season he did OK for himself, but regressed big time in his second season before making big strides to improve in his last season here.

Big kid with a powerful shot from the point and with all the hype that he had in juniors, you thought he would not spend that much time in Grand Rapids and go straight up to Detroit much sooner.

His skating has not been good as younger guys in the AHL blow right by him. Have difficulties keeping the puck inside the attacking blue line and his shot consistently misses the net (goes over the net, or way wide of the net). The only thing that is keeping him in Detroit that he has size, had a strong shot from the point, and that he is a right handed d-man.

It would be nice to see the Wings give him more playing time and may be able to improve his game, but the way the Wings have a pile up of 5th/6th d-men pairings in their lineup, it would not surprise me to see the Wings deal him elsewhere in the near future.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
He's played 25 games in the NHL. It's far to easy to write him off as a bust. He's a big boy that can skate, pass and shoot. He's got 7 points in 24 games this year. And he's right handed to boot. While defensively he has been outplayed this year by Jensen and oullette. I think he's got the most untapped offensive potential of the three. I'd be getting him into as many games as possible the next year or so and see if he can average out the defensive side of things. Cuz if he can get that up to par. He'll be better than every defenseman on this current roster not named green.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You just perfectly described Brendan Smith. And he's (at least allegedly) in the mix for an extension.

I agree that Sproul definitely has his warts, but this team isn't in a place where they can write off a young defenseman quite that fast.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
He's played 25 games in the NHL. It's far to easy to write him off as a bust. He's a big boy that can skate, pass and shoot. He's got 7 points in 24 games this year. And he's right handed to boot. While defensively he has been outplayed this year by Jensen and oullette. I think he's got the most untapped offensive potential of the three. I'd be getting him into as many games as possible the next year or so and see if he can average out the defensive side of things. Cuz if he can get that up to par. He'll be better than every defenseman on this current roster not named green.

We are able to trade Smith away, now, because we have Sproul to replace him with a cheaper salary for the next 2-3 years. It's a 1-for-1 move, especially considering that he could have a better upside than what Smith has shown for Detroit.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I don't think Sproul is an upgrade over Jakub Kindl. KH traded Kindl, hopefully he could get a 5th rounder for Sproul. Not sure anyone would bite, tho.

:laugh: In the history of low blows ever delivered on this forum, this one has to be top 10 for sure!!

At this point, it's clear he's not the offensive wunderkind that many people thought he may turn into. If Kenny doesn't train him then Blash should play him because the entire D is a dumpster fire as is; otherwise, flip him for a late pick or as an add-on to (slightly) sweeten a potential trade. Either is fine with me.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Sproul is 24. Potential can be valuable when a player is, say, 19, but players of Sproul's age usually are what they are. Small improvements can be made, but if he's barely NHL caliber today, the odds are highly against him ever becoming a valuable asset in the future.

:laugh: In the history of low blows ever delivered on this forum, this one has to be top 10 for sure!!
Kindl has played 320 NHL games in his career. How likely is it that Sproul reaches that amount?

Kindl's struggles are easy to poke fun at, but the reality is that, unlike many players, he is actually good enough to stick around long enough for us to come to that consensus. If Kindl had been waived after 50 games and gone to Europe, we'd probably still be saying how much potential he had and that he might've been good if only he was given a fair chance.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sproul is 24. Potential can be valuable when a player is, say, 19, but players of Sproul's age usually are what they are. Small improvements can be made, but if he's barely NHL caliber today, the odds are highly against him ever becoming a valuable asset in the future.
In judging a player's potential for improvement I think two things are key:

Sproul may be 24 but he's really low on experience. And I think for the most part he has been solid in the NHL. He's had a few bad games, a couple of moments of looking bad defensively, but he's also displaying some of the most dynamic offensive skills we've seen from this D. I'd easily give him a shot to establish himself next season at least before thinking about moving him.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Kindl has played 320 NHL games in his career. How likely is it that Sproul reaches that amount?

Kindl's struggles are easy to poke fun at, but the reality is that, unlike many players, he is actually good enough to stick around long enough for us to come to that consensus. If Kindl had been waived after 50 games and gone to Europe, we'd probably still be saying how much potential he had and that he might've been good if only he was given a fair chance.

So good o' Jakub was able to play long enough in the NHL for everyone to realize that he was terrible? :laugh:

Dude got his chance, wasn't good at anything, and I doubt that Sproul or any Wings D prospect would yearn to be called the "next Kindl." And you probably shouldn't discount that a large reason why he played in 320 games is because he came up in the Wings organization, and they haven't hesitated to keep guys on the ice long after they've proved just how not-useful they actually are.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I think he has a future here. It's not the most solid info, but before the Wings-Pens game they had Nick Lidstrom as a guest on swedish TV and he talked about Sproul; saying the Wings have high hopes for him. I wouldn't be surprised if Nick has enough contact with people in Wings management to know what he's talking about.

They did keep him over Marchenko, a guy that they had a long, hard look at and someone who looked like a fixture on our third pairing until he got hurt.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
So good o' Jakub was able to play long enough in the NHL for everyone to realize that he was terrible? :laugh:

Dude got his chance, wasn't good at anything, and I doubt that Sproul or any Wings D prospect would yearn to be called the "next Kindl." And you probably shouldn't discount that a large reason why he played in 320 games is because he came up in the Wings organization, and they haven't hesitated to keep guys on the ice long after they've proved just how not-useful they actually are.
How many will play 300+ NHL games and earn $14M in the NHL? I bet the majority of NHL prospects would gladly take that career. Hockey is a career for the players (and a short-lived one for many of them); I don't think they are worried about our opinions.

My point in all this isn't to say that Kindl is good, or even average. Just to remind everyone that, as disappointing as Kindl was, the vast majority of NHL D prospects end up being even worse.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Helene St. James‏Verified account @HeleneStJames 1m1 minute ago

Ryan Sproul has ACL injury. Will be re-evaluated in 2 weeks re: rehab or surgery. Done for regular season.
#RedWings

Awful News!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Helene St. James‏Verified account @HeleneStJames 1m1 minute ago

Ryan Sproul has ACL injury. Will be re-evaluated in 2 weeks re: rehab or surgery. Done for regular season.
#RedWings

Awful News!

Probably the worst thing that could have happened for his career. If Russo comes up and establishes himself, Sproul could be looking at GR again next fall. Plus the possibility Holland goes blueline shopping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad