Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Sproul

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Now it doesn't sound like he will play, but Ryan Sproul is getting his first taste of the regular season in Detroit at least in terms of practice.

Holland said the club recalled defenseman Ryan Sproul from Grand Rapids to assure they’ll have at least five defensemen for practice Tuesday.

Niklas Kronwall and Jonathan Ericsson, as well as forwards Daniel Alfredsson and Gustav Nyquist, were given the day off Tuesday after playing in the gold medal game for Sweden on Sunday (3-0 loss to Canada). But they will be ready to play Wednesday.

Holland said it hasn’t been determined if Sproul will return to Grand Rapids after practice or accompany the team on the trip as the seventh defenseman.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/02/red_wings_stephen_weiss_and_ja.html#incart_river

Interesting, they have gotten a look at all the GR D-man for the most part now. Letting the coaching staff get a handle on them and evaluate them a little bit.

Kindl is very much in question is the part of the story, so he might get a week to show them some of his talent.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I would like to see him get a game in.

Sammy on IR? We now know he is officially done with us.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
“Kindl is very questionable for Wednesday,†Holland said. “If he doesn’t play Wednesday, then he won’t play Thursday (at Ottawa).â€

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
“Kindl is very questionable for Wednesday,†Holland said. “If he doesn’t play Wednesday, then he won’t play Thursday (at Ottawa).â€

Q has been very questionable all year, but it hasn't kept him out of the lineup...

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I would like to see him get a game in.

Sammy on IR? We now know he is officially done with us.

Yup set him free so he can run wild again with his kind out there. Bye Sammy. Thank God he's UFA this year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Would be interesting to sit Smith a game and have a look at Sproul as those two should probably be fighting for the same spot. Can't imagine us having them both on the team unless one of them finds a way to really figure out the defensive side of things.

But I think Marchenko or Almqvist should probably be ahead of Sproul, either one could steal Kindl's spot if given a legit chance.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would be interesting to sit Smith a game and have a look at Sproul as those two should probably be fighting for the same spot. Can't imagine us having them both on the team unless one of them finds a way to really figure out the defensive side of things.

But I think Marchenko or Almqvist should probably be ahead of Sproul, either one could steal Kindl's spot if given a legit chance.

Yeah. Trade Kindl for Hemsky. :nod:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

No point in sitting Smith. He's sat enough games.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Marchenko and Almqvist have already gotten a look, might as well see what Sproul can do.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Marchenko and Almqvist have already gotten a look, might as well see what Sproul can do.
Yeah I'd like to see Sproul too, but he's probably not ready. Almqvist and Marchenko are probably closer to be able to step into the NHL.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If there's one thing I have to applaud the Wings for, it's using call-ups to keep young guys motivated and happy, which is something they could have done better with Tatar and Nyquist. What they're doing now is exactly how you keep your prospects happy and working hard. These callups give the kids a bit of money, but more importantly they give them a taste of the lifestyle. It's sort of dangling the carrot there in front of them. Plus, it says "you're still in our plans." That's something I think Sproul in particular needs, because he's going through a bit of a slump. This should help him out, even if he never plays a game. It's a vote of confidence from the team.

Of course, you probably feel like garbage if you didn't get called up this season. Hopefully Callahan and Ferraro take that as more of a challenge than an insult.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I don't see him getting a game in. Defense just isn't good enough to earn Babcock's trust yet.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Yeah I'd like to see Sproul too, but he's probably not ready. Almqvist and Marchenko are probably closer to be able to step into the NHL.

This. Ryan Sproul of the four kids is the furthest out. I'd rather look at Almquist and Marchenko again, who have some sort of a chance to crack the roster next season.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
What happened with him in Grand Rapids? I was looking at his numbers from the first half of the year vs the second so far, and he took a huge dip after a good start.

Was he given harder minutes or has the team been struggling...or just an adjustment bump?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
What happened with him in Grand Rapids? I was looking at his numbers from the first half of the year vs the second so far, and he took a huge dip after a good start.

Was he given harder minutes or has the team been struggling...or just an adjustment bump?

The team has been scoring less overall. Don't forget that the Wings have taken a lot of the fire power from the Grifs. His points have dipped after Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan have been with the Wings

Anchor Town*

His defense is so awful, no chance he's ready for an NHL game yet. We're barely a playoff team at this point, can't be wasting points in the standings experimenting with guys that have such big flaws

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

what gowings said and

1) he's a rookie as a pro.

2) imo it was little unrealistic to expect him to maintain that pace. imo he wasn't playing as well as his stats said early on or as bad as his stats say now.

3)he's been playing little better D... though there is still ways to go.

4) i'm not sure if he's been given less off. opportunities.. he's had less points for about 20 games and about 20 games ago had one of the worst line changes that i've ever seen.. i guess he took a lot of heat for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad