Ryan Spooner - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I know you know because you told me you know. But you know I know because someone told you I definitely know. The question is, who else is in the know?

When I think of Claude and Ryan talking, I'm reminded of Rocky IV when Rocky delivers his speech to the Russian crowd.

"I seen a lot of people hating me and I didn't know how to feel about that so I guess I didn't like you none much either."

"But if I can change......."

All I know is the fact Rocky made it to Rocky V before ever being diagnosed w/ brain damage shows the great leaps we've made in sports neurology.

Personally I'm rooting for the kid. Not ready to give up on that kind of speed considering how we're currently constituted.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
You may as well give up trying to explain this to some people here. Clode protects his kids with sheltered minutes in order to allow them to succeed in the future, not sure if Spooner ever will on this team due to dept at center. When a team is in a funk, such as the Bruins are, a good coach will force the vets to "step to the front" and work their way out of it, not the kids. Griffth was on the first line as a winger but in the third when things got tight, he put a vet there, great move, ensuring a kid did not mess up, if a mess up happened it would be on a vet, good coaching. Also I am not a big Clode fan, but I have always liked the way he handles the kids.

Quoted for truth.

People love to yap about how Claude has it "in" for young players when that simply isn't the case.

He has it "in" for players who can't or won't play the game the way the organization wants it played. Period.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
All I know is the fact Rocky made it to Rocky V before ever being diagnosed w/ brain damage shows the great leaps we've made in sports neurology.

Personally I'm rooting for the kid. Not ready to give up on that kind of speed considering how we're currently constituted.

Few people realize that Rocky was an pretty good hockey player around South Philly and was going to give up the fight game before it ever even really got started. He was going to sign with his home town Philadelphia Blazers of the WHA to play wing and protect Derek Sanderson. Derek though lasted only 8 games and Rocky went on to fight Appolo Creed instead of Steve Durbano. (Plus his trainer Mick wanted him to sign with the Penguins)

In all seriousness if I could time travel and be invisible I would make sure I was there the first day Derek Sanderson walked into the locker room

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Quoted for truth. People love to yap about how Claude has it "in" for young players when that simply isn't the case. He has it "in" for players who can't or won't play the game the way the organization wants it played. Period.

That would pinpoint pure offensive talents Kessel and Seguin in recent history, and may well include Griffith and Pastrnak in near future. This organization should not draft for pure skill on offence if they can't/won't modify their hockey system to accomodate.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
that would pinpoint pure offensive talents kessel and seguin in recent history, and may well include griffith and pastrnak in near future. This organization should not draft for pure skill on offence if they can't/won't modify their hockey system to accomodate.

solid

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
In all seriousness if I could time travel and be invisible I would make sure I was there the first day Derek Sanderson walked into the locker room
:laugh: "Hey, hey!!"

Or the day Sylvester Stallone was going to cast Ernie Chavers as Clubber Lange, and asked Ernie to hit him w/ a real punch. And, he did.

So, some of that brain damage wasn't just "good acting".

oreillyisgod

Unregistered User
Jun 5, 2010
Massachusetts
I can see both sides of this argument. So far he has not forced the issue with his play, but also believe that Clode doesnt like his game as per how he has handled him. I do think he deserves a better shot than it appears he has gotten (how long did Caron get). Its obvious he wont play here so I just think for the kid's sake they should trade him so he has a shot in a different environment. I just cringe at the possibility of him lighting it up somewhere else...

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
I thought Spooner's line, in the first period last night, looked the best that any 4th line has looked this season.

Unfortunately for Ryan, Julien shortened his bench for the 1st 1/2 of the 2nd (pressure to get a win?) and then the penalty troubles began which further reduced Spooner's opportunity for ice time.

I keep reading the references to Krejci's early career and now Spooner, and can't help thinking that if Savard hadn't been injured, we would have long since been following Krejci playing with another team.

member 96824

I thought Spooner's line, in the first period last night, looked the best that any 4th line has looked this season.

Unfortunately for Ryan, Julien shortened his bench for the 1st 1/2 of the 2nd (pressure to get a win?) and then the penalty troubles began which further reduced Spooner's opportunity for ice time.

I keep reading the references to Krejci's early career and now Spooner, and can't help thinking that if Savard hadn't been injured, we would have long since been following Krejci playing with another team.

If I remember right, the rumors swirled around Savard and not Krejci back at the time, even after his extension :(

Not that signing a contract extension stops a trade from happening.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I think one positive we can take from last night; if Griffin struggles on the top line, CJ might be willing to experiment others on the top line.

So if Spooner shows flashy of something good, he could be bumped up IMO for a shift or two.

Tonight will be the perfect opportunity against the Habs....his speed will be a key asset.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I have yet to see Spooner create offense with his speed or passing since the season started. Not good for a supposed offensive player who is a defensive liability...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Edit: I've crossed 17K posts, there is nothing good that comes from this :laugh:

That ship sailed long before 17k...

You may as well give up trying to explain this to some people here. Clode protects his kids with sheltered minutes in order to allow them to succeed in the future, not sure if Spooner ever will on this team due to dept at center. When a team is in a funk, such as the Bruins are, a good coach will force the vets to "step to the front" and work their way out of it, not the kids. Griffth was on the first line as a winger but in the third when things got tight, he put a vet there, great move, ensuring a kid did not mess up, if a mess up happened it would be on a vet, good coaching. Also I am not a big Clode fan, but I have always liked the way he handles the kids.

15 min TOI for a kid that has less NHL experience than Spooner is sheltered?

Even if Clode "sheltered" Griffith in the 3rd (I don't have it in front of me, but let's just say for arguments sake it was 6-6-3 for minutes), why did Spooner only get 4 minutes? To protect him? From what?

Once again, this is not a slight to Griffith, but I see him doing absolutely nothing that Spooner is not capable of, and as some have pointed out, Spooner is better than Griff on the PP.

BTW, I don't need you to explain it to me, I get it, but even if you are going to "shelter" a youngster, you have to let them play a little. Four minutes is not sheltering Spooner, it's putting him in a pine box and throwing dirt on top.

Quoted for truth.

People love to yap about how Claude has it "in" for young players when that simply isn't the case.

He has it "in" for players who can't or won't play the game the way the organization wants it played. Period.

Your truth, not mine.

If you could, please elaborate on all the awesome organizational tenets that Griffith displayed in the preseason and after (that Spooner has not) to earn enough trust from Clode to to get 15 min TOI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad