Player Discussion Ryan Smyth Signs with Stony Plain Eagles

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Don't kid yourselves, fringe NHL players are still absolute allstars on any non pro league. Even fringe defenceman that you think can "barely" skate will blow you away out there. Smyth, even at 40 will be absolutely dominating if he tried.

I used to play pick up/shinny/practice at KC when I was younger with fringe/established players like Sean Brown, Douglas Murray (I think), Iggy, Rocky Thompson, Brian Swanson and some other unnamed bubble farm players. They were amazing.

Got absolutely crushed crossing the blueline fishing for a puck by Sean Brown on a suicide pass. No remorse man, he didn't even look back to ask if I was ok. I wasn't mad, I even realized he held back on it. I can't imagine how hard it would have been if he intended to. Murray "rubbed" out my buddy along the board for the puck. Said after he'd never been man handled so easily before.

They were probably playing at 15% of their potential. Not to mention how hard and accurate their shots were. Another level.

So what you're saying is Smytty's ol' "clapper from the top of the circle" might actually work at this level or nah?

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
So what you're saying is Smytty's ol' "clapper from the top of the circle" might actually work at this level or nah?

haha it's probably harder in person. When given the time and space, it's pinpoint and harder. On the ice with NHL players those are rushed shots. Smyth might be an exception though lol. Everyone has probably said they had a harder clapper than Smytty, but I doubt it!

Look at Jultz for example. The guy had all the time and space down there in the AHL for the short stint, looked like an allstar. NHL speed and he can't keep up or make sound rational decisions.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
So, just out of curiosity, what's the range of salaries in this league?

Officially? My guess would be in the range of zero, but I'm sure that doesn't stop certain things from happening. I doubt a lot of the teams have much money to start with.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Officially? My guess would be in the range of zero, but I'm sure that doesn't stop certain things from happening. I doubt a lot of the teams have much money to start with.

My buddy was getting paid something like $200-400 a game. But he was pretty good and the team was a drive and had a tough time getting guys but wanted to win

Im guessing the salaries are paid by richer older players who want to get the better talent

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
So, just out of curiosity, what's the range of salaries in this league?

Zero. You get equipment and have an equipment manager however, so you never have to worry about your gear. Some teams don't technically pay players but hook them up with good paying jobs or vacation money, things like that

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
haha it's probably harder in person. When given the time and space, it's pinpoint and harder. On the ice with NHL players those are rushed shots. Smyth might be an exception though lol. Everyone has probably said they had a harder clapper than Smytty, but I doubt it!

Look at Jultz for example. The guy had all the time and space down there in the AHL for the short stint, looked like an allstar. NHL speed and he can't keep up or make sound rational decisions.

I like the effort to pump up Smytty's blaster but he really does have very, very little zip on his shot. Accurate sure, just puts it where the goalie can't get to it, usually on broken plays near the net. He scored (a tip in of course) his first game for Stony. No denying he is a great hockey player, but a weapon of a shot added to his legend (even at the senior AAA level) is revisionist history. By all accounts the guys there love him though, as if that was ever in doubt.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Speaking of this league, Innisfail Eagles coach Brian Sutter will be an assistant on Team Cherry for the CHL Prospects game.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Don't kid yourselves, fringe NHL players are still absolute allstars on any non pro league. Even fringe defenceman that you think can "barely" skate will blow you away out there. Smyth, even at 40 will be absolutely dominating if he tried.

I used to play pick up/shinny/practice at KC when I was younger with fringe/established players like Sean Brown, Douglas Murray (I think), Iggy, Rocky Thompson, Brian Swanson and some other unnamed bubble farm players. They were amazing.

Got absolutely crushed crossing the blueline fishing for a puck by Sean Brown on a suicide pass. No remorse man, he didn't even look back to ask if I was ok. I wasn't mad, I even realized he held back on it. I can't imagine how hard it would have been if he intended to. Murray "rubbed" out my buddy along the board for the puck. Said after he'd never been man handled so easily before.

They were probably playing at 15% of their potential. Not to mention how hard and accurate their shots were. Another level.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Look at the top mens league in Edmonton http://ccehl.shawwebspace.ca/pages/view/top_goal_scores/ Some of you may be familiar with this league. I'll pull out a few notable names that we all will know.

Fistric, Marc 9GP 7G 7A 14PTS
Strudwick, Jason 2GP 0G 0A 0PTS

Top players in this league are putting up 3-4 pts per game.

Then look at a guy like Mike Danton, typical fringe NHL player (NHL 87GP 9G 5A 14PTS). Goes and plays University hockey at St. Mary's University and only puts up 35GP 6G 3A 9PTS when he's in his late 20's.

Theo Fluery playing sr AAA for Horse lake in 05 (age 36ish)
Reg Season
7GP 4G 10A 14Pts
Allan Cup (2nd in tournament)
3GP 3G 5A 8Pts
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/National-Championships/Men/Allan-Cup/2005/Home

He's one of the most skilled guys to play the game and while he's at the top of the Tournament in terms of point production, he's not that far ahead to term him an absolute allstar.

If you look at the same league today the top scorers are putting up more points per game than he did in the 7 games he played in the regular season. http://www.discoverthepeacecountry....xtra/stats/leadingscorers-2015-2016stats.html

Look at Kyle Rossiter (was a bubble NHL player) on the same team Smyth is playing in. This year he has 3 assists in 12 games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Rossiter

Obviously these NHL players who look to play in Mens leagues and SR hockey after their pro careers, are still great players and in most cases they are near the top of the leagues, but they aren't always absolute all stars. There are many guys in these leagues that never touched the NHL that keep up with them and in some cases put up better numbers.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
My buddy was getting paid something like $200-400 a game. But he was pretty good and the team was a drive and had a tough time getting guys but wanted to win

Im guessing the salaries are paid by richer older players who want to get the better talent

Bentley Generals use to or may still stack their team up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad