Confirmed with Link: Ryan Smyth agrees to 2 year deal with Oilers. $2.25 per year (July, 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koto

May 3, 2011
i guess i'll take it? better not be any bonuses...dont want a higher cap hit next year

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Cap-hit is 750k lower than the average contract on a 70M cap.

Whatever he isn't, he's a good third line LW who can chip in 15 goals and 30+ points. Just hope he takes a xanax and stops taking dumb penalties next year.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Cant really expect him to sign for any less than that, so good job Oilers. Just hope theres still room for Harski.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
im cool with it, as long as he's effective at 3rd-ish line minutes, 2nd unit PP camped in front, and some shifts on the PK

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I am okay with $2.25 two years is fine being that the cost was so low.

Hall - Gagner - Eberle
Paajarvi - RNH - Yakupov
Smyth - Horcoff - Jones
Harktikanen - Belanger - Eager
Lander Petrell

Is this our depth chart right now?

Lowball

McRebuild
Aug 27, 2004
Cowtown
:yo:

Glad Smytty is sticking around. It's the right thing to do.

Great signing and contract. Good job Tambo!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's a year and a half too long, awful awful deal for the team. Seriously, 2 years for this guy, wow. Nothing beats a "favour" contract.

Ugh with this, such a bad deal.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Cant really expect him to sign for any less than that, so good job Oilers. Just hope theres still room for Harski.

There is room, but he will have to earn it.

IMO, the worst thing you can do for guys like Paajarvi and Harti is hand them jobs in this league. I think the competition for jobs will be good for them going forward.

If they have a good camp and prove they are ready, then they will play.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
He just left about $3M on the table to sign this deal.

I'm actually very happy he has come around. Now...how are we going to get Maggy back into the development track of this team?

Hemsky or Gagner might be dealt today. Gagner is my guess, and probably for a disappointing return, like a no.5-6 defenseman and a draft pick.

Right now:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi/Hartikainen
Eager-Belanger-Jones
Petrell

We don't "have" to trade anyone, but it's a potentially soft forward group. I wouldn't mind adding a bigger body. Jones could even be moved out IMO. I like him, but he's fairly redundent and replacable.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Good. I'm glad he's back, and this is a nice contract.

I know Oiler fans LOVE to crap on any of their own players that have been here over five years, but this team is better with Smyth's leadership, grit, experience, and scoring depth.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Great deal IMO. Posters say they would laugh is Feaster signed him but the fact of the matter is deep down they would feel badly betrayed. Welcome back Smytty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad