Ryan Smith hospitality

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Smith was unable to speak to executives, coaches and players before the deal closed.

“I wish I could be calling everyone every minute, working on it,” he said. “Unfortunately, that’s just not in the cards. … It’s kind of like you’re sitting on the fence watching, and I also I think there’s a season to be played.”

Smith said the first priority now is to set up everyone in Utah and “make sure that they have a great experience.” Nothing like this has happened there since the Jazz moved from New Orleans in 1979.

“There’s a good roster and a lot of young talent, and we’ve got to onboard those people into Smith Entertainment Group and show them what that means and what that’s like,” he said. “I think that’s a good opportunity for us. [We need to] introduce them to the state of Utah and also bring the community together to receive them, and that’s what we want to do.

“I mean, I think they’ve been in a spot where it’s been a little tricky, and I think we have a chance as a community to show this is a moment. We haven’t had a team come here since 1979 of this scale. This is a ‘Where were you when this happened?’ moment.”
‘Utah’s ready for a team,’ new owner says

After years of bad owners, this must be refreshing to the players, staff, and families.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I don't follow the NBA closely. Is Utah Jazz considered a well-run team?

From a business and marketing perspective, I've gathered that they are. I've also heard that they're in the midst of a very long sellout streak (getting close to 300, closest info I could find is 282 straight games as of March 10) despite the team being currently not that great. From a basketball operations perspective, I don't know.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
1713477835022.png

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I don't follow the NBA closely. Is Utah Jazz considered a well-run team?
extremely

Ryan Smith started Qualtrics which was a CRM SAAS product that he sold to SAP for several billion dollars.

I have several friends who worked/work there and they were all well paid and couldnt say enough good things about the company.

Ryan is like the Mark Cuban of Utah and I would ventute to say he is going to be the best owner in the league.

Everything he does turns to gold

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
From a business and marketing perspective, I've gathered that they are. I've also heard that they're in the midst of a very long sellout streak (getting close to 300, closest info I could find is 282 straight games as of March 10) despite the team being currently not that great. From a basketball operations perspective, I don't know.
In 2021, the Jazz hired Danny Ainge who ran the Celtics for years and years, there’s few front office executives more respected than he is.

Reactions: DaveG

chrapril

Mar 21, 2022
I’m local here. I don’t follow the Jazz very closely but Ryan Smith has been a great owner up to this point. He attends almost every home game and seems to have built it up from the draft philosophy. The Jazz nuts I know like him a lot and although the team did not have a good year they like the direction he is taking the team. They traded away a lot of veterans this year for draft capital to build from within.

If they can come here and make the playoffs right away the team will blow up. My office is a sports-heavy office, and in the last 6 years, I can count on one hand how many times I have had real hockey-related conversations. Over the past two weeks, it has been nonstop hockey talk. SLC is very excited and I would say that is directly related to ownership being trusted by the fan base at this point.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’m local here. I don’t follow the Jazz very closely but Ryan Smith has been a great owner up to this point. He attends almost every home game and seems to have built it up from the draft philosophy. The Jazz nuts I know like him a lot and although the team did not have a good year they like the direction he is taking the team. They traded away a lot of veterans this year for draft capital to build from within.

If they can come here and make the playoffs right away the team will blow up. My office is a sports-heavy office, and in the last 6 years, I can count on one hand how many times I have had real hockey-related conversations. Over the past two weeks, it has been nonstop hockey talk. SLC is very excited and I would say that is directly related to ownership being trusted by the fan base at this point.
We look forward to engaging to all the Utah fans!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just a caution to the Utah folks. Some of us who are transfers from the AZ board have never had a good owner so we won't know what this is like. We may not be sure how to act when we are first class organization. So the little nuances that you become aware of will be appreciated to learn.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They are deposits so kinda wondering if it is a waiting list kinda thing.

Yeah likely a wait list. Get your name on it fast or you may be waiting a long time. It's refreshing to see a market that is willing to invest in the team.

With the young players they have, the glut of draft picks over the next 3 seasons and ample cap space if Smith decides to really invest in this team he could turn things around for them very quickly.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Yeah likely a wait list. Get your name on it fast or you may be waiting a long time. It's refreshing to see a market that is willing to invest in the team.

With the young players they have, the glut of draft picks over the next 3 seasons and ample cap space if Smith decides to really invest in this team he could turn things around for them very quickly.
They are 3 defensemen and a backup goalie away from a legit playoff team. Roy, Pesci types in FA and well on their way.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They are 3 defensemen and a backup goalie away from a legit playoff team. Roy, Pesci types in FA and well on their way.

Yeah they'll have plenty of cap to work with to get it done. I've never been to SLC so I can't say what the attractiveness of the market will be like with the players. But just looking at pictures it looks like a beautiful city and there seems to be a good mix of outdoor activities and entertainment. Obviously not a party city but I've found you usually don't want those types of players that care more about partying than playing anyways.

Reactions: DustyDangler

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Yeah they'll have plenty of cap to work with to get it done. I've never been to SLC so I can't say what the attractiveness of the market will be like with the players. But just looking at pictures it looks like a beautiful city and there seems to be a good mix of outdoor activities and entertainment. Obviously not a party city but I've found you usually don't want those types of players that care more about partying than playing anyways.
Everything you are saying is true. Spectacularly beautiful. Great mix of things to do. I suspect players will grow to love it.

Reactions: Stanley Thermos

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
One of the fastest growing tech hubs in the USA. So they are attracting young, smart entrepreneurs that make a lot of $$$.

I agree, this notion that the players wont like it because it is not a night life city - those are the players you generally dont want anyway.

chrapril

Mar 21, 2022
I wore my LA jersey doing some errands today, just wanted to see if anybody would ask me about hockey.

I was asked several times if I was excited about the team coming. There is a lot of excitement here and I keep telling everyone we are so lucky to be getting AZ.

Tons of young talent and an owner that cares, all the cap space you need, and draft capital for days.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Can hardly wait till October. Going to SLC. Don't think I will still be able to get good 50$ seats anymore lol.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
People, including the NHL, were worried about Las Vegas having a team because of the nightlife. Hasn't seemed to be a problem so far. Plus, other teams love to play and visit there. SLC might not have the big time nightlife, but, I think players will enjoy the easy going lifestyle. Plus, it's only a short plane ride to L.A., Vegas, Phoenix, etc.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
One of the fastest growing tech hubs in the USA. So they are attracting young, smart entrepreneurs that make a lot of $$$.

I agree, this notion that the players wont like it because it is not a night life city - those are the players you generally dont want anyway.
Precisely. I am sure Mike Ribeiro liked the night life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad