Prospect Info: Ryan Segalla | Defenseman | Salisbury Prep (High School) | 4th Round, 119th overall

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If Shero insists on drafting more defensemen I'm glad he drafted one that plays a gritty game. Can't really judge this pick for a few years.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
its good to see, but would it kill them to take a couple forwards like that

When the penguins drafted Bryan Rust and Dominck Uher, people had a fit on these boards because they were not "skilled" enough for them. Now people want that type of forward? I am so confused.

BTW, not picking on you in particular. I am just using your comment as a jumping point.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I think it was Segalla that I was reading on but according to HockeyProspects he's a tough SOB.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Certainly gonna be interesting to see how UConn as a whole handles Hockey East. That's a huge jump from the AHA. Do they have any other top-end recruits besides Segalla coming in?

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Certainly gonna be interesting to see how UConn as a whole handles Hockey East. That's a huge jump from the AHA. Do they have any other top-end recruits besides Segalla coming in?

the best i could find was this article. eight other freshmen are set the join. it looks like UConn is offering earlier playing time in order to attract higher quality players. our boy was drafted by the Q but, perhaps this early playing time offer might have swayed him.

Segalla, who is set to join the team in the fall of 2013, was the first player to verbally commit to UConn as a full scholarship player. On Sunday, June 30th Segalla may make history again, becoming the first UConn player to be selected in the NHL Entry Draft.

Coach Cavanaugh called about two weeks ago and explained all the positives of joining a year early. There really weren’t any negatives,” Segalla said.

Segalla wasn’t quite sure what to expect with the coaching change at UConn, but remained committed to being a Husky. “At first I was a little hesitant because of the new coach, but I wanted to be loyal to the school,” Segalla said. “They offered me a scholarship and I wanted to honor that. Coach Cavanaugh called me and nothing has really changed.”

I’m looking forward to building the program at UConn and hoping for the best,” Segalla said. Segalla already has a tie to the Huskies, as he was the defensive partner of Tyler Cooke, a current Husky defenseman, during his freshman year of high school when the two played for the Bridgewater Bandits.

http://goalmouthradio.com/?p=225

Last edited:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
this is what the HFboards search function has had to say about Segalla over the years:

You are going to see possible 3 Defenseman from The Salisbury School going in the QMJHL 2011 Draft. The Canadian born Biega if he doesn't follow his brothers foot steps by going the NCAA route will be one of them. The QMJHL Scouts visited the Salsibury School numerous times during this past season to watch Biega but they came back raving about two 94 American dmen Ryan Segalla and Mark Hamilton both from Massachusetts. I heard they have several NCAA D1 offers on the table but i don't think they have committed to a school yet. So don't be surprised to see all 3 dmen get drafted.

I have not seen him play but several NHL scouts said the Segalla kid from Salisbury of the NE Prep Hockey League is the best kept secret in the Northeast. After watching the Erne kid play i would be surprised if he doesn't get picked in the first 3 rounds of the QMJHL Draft. Rumor has it Hayden is headed to the USA National Development Program. I have not heard anything about the other CT players eligible for the draft this year.

Some random thoughts...
11. Ryan Segalla, D, Salisbury- Warrior. Winner. Leader.

NEHJ - 2013 NHL Draft preview: Top 11 New England prospects

11. Ryan Segalla

The skinny: Not the most flashy or dynamic defender, Segalla nonetheless is a fluid, mobile player who takes the body effectively and led his Crimson Knights squad to the 2013 New England prep title. Fine skater with fluid stride, quick direction change and lateral agility. Not quite the physical force Florentino is, Segalla nonetheless embraces a physical style and finishes his checks. Active stick, displays good gap control. Overall, Segalla is a solid defenseman who might only be coming into his own as a legitimate NHL prospect.

Quotable: “He’s not a flashy guy at all, just your typical meat-and-potatoes defenseman, but he’s got some toughness. I like him. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and he’s a bit of a sleeper in that a lot of people aren’t necessarily talking about him, but they were definitely watching him.” — NHL scout, Eastern Conference

Last edited:

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma

They are gonna get demolished in hockey east for awhile until they start putting some good recruiting classes together which will take a few years

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Sounds like a tough competitor. Like many have said, hopefully a good complement to guys like Pouliot, Despres and Maata.

And I guess Letang since he should make it here before 8 years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad