Prospect Info: Ryan Segalla | Defenseman | Salisbury Prep (High School) | 4th Round, 119th overall

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
c52b5c9457e59619f658ad4ee8138ded.jpeg

Date of Birth: December 29, 1994
Place of Birth: Hanover, Massachusetts
Size: 6'2", 194 lbs
Shoots: Left

2012-13 stats: 10-8-18, 28 PIM (28 gp)

Attended Salisbury boarding school in Connecticut and was captain and top pairing defenseman on the 2012-13 New England prep school champions. Committed to play college hockey at UConn (Hockey East) next season. Ranked 169th among American skaters by CSB. Models his game after the Rangers' Ryan McDonagh.

Profiles:
Randy Sexton said:
"Ryan Segalla’s a hard-hitting defenseman, he’s a very good skater and he plays the game very robust, a physical game. He needs to keep his game simple. When he does, he’s very, very effective. He is going to Hockey East, which is a great league. We’ll keep a close eye on him. He’s thick. He works very hard off the ice. He should grow a little bit more. At least he is a guy we fully expect to grow into that hard-to-play against, denter-type role that we like." (link)

ESPN Boston said:
“He has an over-the-top compete level. It’s second to none for kids around New England. He might play a little out of control at time, but he’s very strong, extremely physical. He’s tenacious.” (link)

NHLMockDraft.com said:
Ryan Segalla is a heady, tough, two-way defenseman with leadership qualities. He’s the captain of his team, plays on both special teams and against top lines. He reads the play well and makes smart decisions with and without the puck... has an excellent compete level and really battles in the dirty areas- he can also get nasty with the stick work... Segalla is a smart puck mover as well. He makes a lot of subtle, short passes that reverse the puck or go against the grain giving his partner ample time and space to make a play... He has a good shot and very accurate wrister. On the power play, he plays at the top of the umbrella and although he doesn’t dazzle you with his playmaking or shooting, he does impress with his intelligence... Segalla’s skating is only average. He doesn’t have the speed to pull away from a player hounding him for the puck and his skating is a little choppy. He is mobile enough to not get beat wide 1on1 but he can be beat to a puck on a dump-in.

All in all this a smart, safe, hard-nosed player with average mobility and strong leadership qualities. (link).

Last edited:

Kovifan27

Jan 17, 2012
Philly, PA
Skating Ability: C
Average skater. He doesn’t have dynamic speed or quickness but he’s not a plodder either. His quickness comes in bursts, as the situation calls for a higher sense of urgency.

Puck Skills: C
Segalla handles the puck comfortably when he has time and space and has a nice touch on his passes, but he’s not the kind of puckhandler who can beat players 1on1.

Passing Ability: C+
Segalla may not be the most creative or aggressive playmaker but he is safe, effective and most important- he plays with poise under physical pressure. This is a player who will make the smart outlet pass even if he’s about to get run over.

Finishing Ability: C
Segalla’s willing to call his own number and his goal in this game showed off his ability to see all the pieces and thread the needle. However, he’s not a player who aggressively joins the rush or works tirelessly in the offensive zone to get open for shots.

Physical Play: A-
Segalla is a strong, physical player and an uncompromising presence in the corners and in front of the net.

Intangibles: A-
He’s the captain of Salisbury, he has no fear, he’s a tough SOB to play against, he plays hard right up until the final buzzer, and he plays a smart, efficient game at both ends of the ice.

Defensive Play: A-
Segalla’s best quality is his defensive game. He reads the play well. He maintains good gaps. He’s effective in 1on1 and 2on1 situations. He wins his battles. He’s tough to play against. He gets the puck out of danger without carelessly throwing it away. And he consistently makes the smart, safe play.

http://www.nhlmockdraft.org/scouting-ryan-segalla/

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
That's because you've never watched them play before (nor 98% of the other prospects most likely if you're like most of us). :)

It's hard to understand the reason behind things if you've never seen them play. At least he doesn't weight 150lbs, but like someone said Bennett wasn't very big when drafted either.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
meh, could of done worse than a physical, mean, aggressive d-man with decent size

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Brooks Orpik replacement?

On a side note, I watch a lot of junior hockey, and I follow the prospects quite closely every season. Yet the Pens seem to constantly pick guys I've never heard of, or have barely heard of. They just seem to love these US high school hockey guys.

porrylogspop

Aug 14, 2002
reading pa
Visit site

On a side note, I watch a lot of junior hockey, and I follow the prospects quite closely every season. Yet the Pens seem to constantly pick guys I've never heard of, or have barely heard of. They just seem to love these US high school hockey guys.

I like the pick we do not have a lot of the big physical nasty types in our system.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Don't like the pick as I wish we picked a winger, but the player Segalla I like. Though he be like what 5yrs away so will be interesting to see where he goes.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Interesting. We could use another gritty D in the pipeline along with Ruopp.

Don't forget Clark Seymour. If Engelland can make the NHL and contribute in some capacity, it's not impossible to see Seymour do it also. He's a lot bigger and not quite as good a skater, but an apparent pain in the arse to play against.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Don't forget Clark Seymour. If Engelland can make the NHL and contribute in some capacity, it's not impossible to see Seymour do it also. He's a lot bigger and not quite as good a skater, but an apparent pain in the arse to play against.

So many D, what will we do with them all?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

Good point. Forgot about him.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
So many D, what will we do with them all?

Shero's planning to trade for all the 6th round picks in 2019. He's all about setting records. It's easy to forget Seymour, he never gets any hype and played on a bad team, I think.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Brooks Oprik replacement's name is Scott Harrington :P

This guy's scouting report makes him sound physical, ala Orpik. Harrington's going to be more of a positional shutdown defender, rather than a bruiser. Hence the Orpik comment.

I like the pick we do not have a lot of the big physical nasty types in our system.

I like the general idea behind the pick (ie. a physical defender). But I've never seen him play, so I won't know if I like the actual player yet or not.

Which is more my point. I was neither praising or criticizing this pick, simply saying that the Pens seem to pick guys I've never heard of. Which is a bit weird, statistically speaking, given how closely I follow a lot of these prospects. The Pens just seem to always favor the 5% that I don't know much about.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Segalla won't turn pro for the next 3 years at least, not much of a logjam on D if the prospects play all over the continent. UConn is stepping up from the small-time Atlantic Hockey conference to powerhouse Hockey East so at least he'll play very competitively.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013

The entire organization, from Moorehouse to Shero on down, is committed to supporting and growing local youth hockey and USA Hockey in general.
We know that.
But does it influence their picks and player selections?
It certainly is something that has been brought up before, basically every draft in the Shero era.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, more College kids that we won't see for maybe 4yrs or more or never.

This is why I don't watch the draft or care until it's done, it's usually the same old stuff under the Shero tenure.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
THIS IS THE DEFENSEMEN WE NEED. THANK YOU SHERO!!!

Someone who isn't a slouch for a skater, someone who won't try to be the hero. He'll be smart with the puck and his only goal is protecting his goaltender and his teammates.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

This is why I don't watch the draft or care until it's done, it's usually the same old stuff under the Shero tenure.

So far so good because the Pens have a decent prospect pool considering finishing near the top which gives you late round picks and also trading picks in many years to try and win now. When you consider those two things Shero has done a really nice job drafting. I remember in the 90's it seemed like we never had any good prospects during those playoff teams in the "Win know mode". Shero has put out a contender every year and has brought in nice additions at the deadline most years and we still are developing good prospects.

What is not to like? Some of you are spoiled and expect a Cup every year. 29 other teams are also going for the Cup so the odds are not great even when you are the best team. I have no doubt this team was good enough to get it done but it just did not happen. You need a little luck to win a Cup and if you look at the years we won them we had some. You play the playoffs again with the same teams and it would be a different outcome almost every time.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Not to put too fine a point on it but every player drafted in the 4th round, probably won't be on a roster for 3-4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad